Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wb 202 noisy rockers/ lifters.

Danfield

Reaction score
Members Ride
1980 Holden WB Ute
Like a couple of others here, been a long time since I farnarkled a 186 / 202.

You oil pressure is OK, and doesn't vary, ie jump around at constant revs. ?
Rebuilt oil pump ? Used to be as cheap and available as potato chips. Probably gold plated now.
The push rods not spinning is a bit ............ different. Dust-off memory :( ............ does the oil reach the top of the push rods ?
Dodgy new lifters ?
Oil pressure seems solid, doesn't change at constant revs.
Yeah trying to avoid swapping out the oil pump, probably have to buy a new one and I think I need to lift the engine to get it out. I don't have a crane.
Yeah the push rods not spinning is concerning. Not sure how they could be too tight when I have a issue with soft lifters..
I think the lifters are good, I have disassembled them, made sure every works and looks good. Every one of them can and has pumped up. But sometimes they don't.
The oil does get to the top out of every pushrod.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
OK, dug out my old Gregorys ............. quick quotes.........
Yeah trying to avoid swapping out the oil pump, probably have to buy a new one and I think I need to lift the engine to get it out. I don't have a crane.
No need. Loosen the RH engine mount, jack and support the engine with a block of wood, gives you clearance to pull the oil pump out.

I think the lifters are good, I have disassembled
........ and reassembled (?) by aligning the oil feed holes in the plunger with those in the tappet body, insert plunger and ball check valve and fill with oil. Position metering valve and pushrod seat and retaining circlip.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Oil pressure seems solid, doesn't change at constant revs.
Yeah the push rods not spinning is concerning. Not sure how they could be too tight when I have a issue with soft lifters..
I think the lifters are good, I have disassembled them, made sure every works and looks good. Every one of them can and has pumped up. But sometimes they don't.
The oil does get to the top out of every pushrod.
4 bolts,(1/2 inch) undo the oil filter and off comes the oil pump with the old 202. If you stuff round, it'll take you 10 minutes...No need to remove mounts...

I actually had the oil pump off my motor on the weekend trying to fix an oil leak.....So it is very fresh in my mind....

EDIT: You may not have to remove the oil filter...With my blue 3.3 (might as well say, the same motor), I have to remove the oil filter because it hits the intermediate shaft. for the rack....WB's don't have a rack, but keep it in mind you might have to remove the oil filter

Got me knackered with your issue.....2 years ago, I bolted on another head with my blue, to one mildly ported and roller rockers fitted, changed crank, new bearings, a new cam, oldish pushrods and old lifters...Still a standard bore...Didn't even re-ring it....

Adjusted my rockers and it's a little noisy until it warms up and then it shuts up.....

People will say it's a big no no to use the old lifters when changing cams, but 2 years on, no issues

Danfield

Reaction score
Members Ride
1980 Holden WB Ute
OK, dug out my old Gregorys ............. quick quotes.........

No need. Loosen the RH engine mount, jack and support the engine with a block of wood, gives you clearance to pull the oil pump out.

........ and reassembled (?) by aligning the oil feed holes in the plunger with those in the tappet body, insert plunger and ball check valve and fill with oil. Position metering valve and pushrod seat and retaining circlip.
Yeah, reassembled 100% correctly.

Danfield

Reaction score
Members Ride
1980 Holden WB Ute
4 bolts,(1/2 inch) undo the oil filter and off comes the oil pump with the old 202. If you stuff round, it'll take you 10 minutes...No need to remove mounts...

I actually had the oil pump off my motor on the weekend trying to fix an oil leak.....So it is very fresh in my mind....

EDIT: You may not have to remove the oil filter...With my blue 3.3 (might as well say, the same motor), I have to remove the oil filter because it hits the intermediate shaft. for the rack....WB's don't have a rack, but keep it in mind you might have to remove the oil filter

Got me knackered with your issue.....2 years ago, I bolted on another head with my blue, to one mildly ported and roller rockers fitted, changed crank, new bearings, a new cam, oldish pushrods and old lifters...Still a standard bore...Didn't even re-ring it....

Adjusted my rockers and it's a little noisy until it warms up and then it shuts up.....

People will say it's a big no no to use the old lifters when changing cams, but 2 years on, no issues
Thanks that's good to know about the pump.

Yeah not sure what's going on, it's the inconsistency that's doing my head in. Mine also used to only make noise for a few seconds when cold.

Haha that's great about the lifters!

Danfield

Reaction score
Members Ride
1980 Holden WB Ute
A few revs with the rocker cover off and some of the pushrods are squirting oil all over the joint. Makes me pretty hesadent to buy a new pump.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Thanks that's good to know about the pump.

Yeah not sure what's going on, it's the inconsistency that's doing my head in. Mine also used to only make noise for a few seconds when cold.

Haha that's great about the lifters!

Mines only noisy because I left some clearance inbetween the roller of the rockers and the top of the valve.....I found when it was touching, I had troubles in the higher rev range

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Cold oil pressure with 20W50 oil @600 RPM is 40 PSI with mine.....

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Plenty of old 308’s out there with under 10psi on idle without any lifter tick. Lifters are the same between these engines. Very much doubt it’s oil pressure related.

How much preload does it have? Is it noisier when cold or when warm?

Danfield

Reaction score
Members Ride
1980 Holden WB Ute
I dont have a tac but as far as pressure goes:
Cold start with chock 56,
running down the road warm 42,
hot idle lowest is 14

It was better sounding today, only had a small tick. But it comes and goes. Just doesn't fully go.