Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wb 202 noisy rockers/ lifters.

Danfield

Reaction score
Members Ride
1980 Holden WB Ute
what did the lifter bores look like when you removed the lifters? Were the old lifters easy to remove?
Yeah they looked fine, easy to remove and the new ones slid straight in. Moved them up and down by hand and they felt good. No binding or anything. Thanks.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Try and find out where the lifters were made. I'm starting to think they are rebadged Chinese lifters which rattle when warm.

Danfield

Reaction score
Members Ride
1980 Holden WB Ute
Try and find out where the lifters were made. I'm starting to think they are rebadged Chinese lifters which rattle when warm.
Yeah, it would suck if it was the lifters, seeing as I replaced them to fix the issue. It seems unlikely but I guess it's possible. It's very likely they are Chinese.

Danfield

Reaction score
Members Ride
1980 Holden WB Ute
I pulled out the current noisy/soft lifters and manually filled them with oil by hand so they were stiff. Put them back in, turned it over a few times and then ran it. They stayed stiff and were all quiet. Left it over night. Checked it in the morning. Still stiff. Came back an hour later, checked again, some were soft and the issue was back.

It seems like the lifters have the ability to hold pressure. The car just isn't pumping them back up fully if they leak down. I have nothing indicating that the pump is bad but I don't know what else it could be at this point.

I feel like I can rule out the lifters.
I have replaced them, checked them and tested them.

I don't think it's mechanical wear of any kind for the following reasons:
The lifter preload checks out, it's not a consistant issue, it comes and goes and it seems unlikely that they would all go bad all of a sudden.

Nothing was changed on the car before the issue started to occur which means its somthing that has developed on it's own.

I think the pump is all that I'm left with.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Do you have a gauge to monitor oil pressure?

Danfield

Reaction score
Members Ride
1980 Holden WB Ute
Do you have a gauge to monitor oil pressure?
Yeah, it's just a cheapo one though. According to the gauge it's got plenty and is also steady and consistent. So I had ruled out the pump for that reason but I don't know now what else it could be. The lifters do fill up, just not enough to stay nice and firm it seems.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Chinese lifters will bleed down quickly. I'm still suss on those lifters.

Reactions: Lex

Danfield

Reaction score
Members Ride
1980 Holden WB Ute
Chinese lifters will bleed down quickly. I'm still suss on those lifters.
Yeah I am too hahaha. But the test I did gives me more confidence because they held pressure over night. They should still pump up reasonably fast if they bleed down anyway I would think. Unless they are bleeding as fast as they are filling. Not sure how they would ever hold pressure at all if that was the case though.

Danfield

Reaction score
Members Ride
1980 Holden WB Ute
How long should it take to pump up a fully bled down lifter?