Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wb 202 noisy rockers/ lifters.

Danfield

Reaction score
Members Ride
1980 Holden WB Ute
Some people suggest shaving down the rocker arm bridges as a cheap fix for this. Im wondering if this would make any sense if the lifters already have preload? Or will I just be giving them more preload? Is the idea that less travel would make it easier for them to pump up?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Can you measure the pre-load you have now?

Danfield

Reaction score
Members Ride
1980 Holden WB Ute
Can you measure the pre-load you have now?
Not sure how to do that, in my mind any preload should be fine on a hydraulic as long as it's not bottomed out. That's what I don't understand about the method.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
There is a minimum as well as a maximum. Normally speaking, you screw down the rocker until it just holds the push rod (easiest way is to spin the push rod and wind down the rocker and you will feel when it just starts to load up). Then take note of how many more turns of the rocker bolt till the rocker seats on the pedestal. IIRC for these you want a minimum 1/2 to 3/4 turn.

Danfield

Reaction score
Members Ride
1980 Holden WB Ute
There is a minimum as well as a maximum. Normally speaking, you screw down the rocker until it just holds the push rod (easiest way is to spin the push rod and wind down the rocker and you will feel when it just starts to load up). Then take note of how many more turns of the rocker bolt till the rocker seats on the pedestal. IIRC for these you want a minimum 1/2 to 3/4 turn.
Oh, of course. I didn't think to check it that way on non adjustbles. Cheers, I'll check it out.

Danfield

Reaction score
Members Ride
1980 Holden WB Ute
Just checking the preload again. Seems that some are about 7/8 of a turn past zero lash. Would this extra 1/8 of a turn past the maximum 3/4 be the issue? I could try shimming the bridges?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nahh. 1/2 to 3/4 turn is normally the minimum. Maximum is probably double that.

7/8 turn sounds ok to me. Others may way in as I haven't stuffed around with these in decades.

Danfield

Reaction score
Members Ride
1980 Holden WB Ute
Nahh. 1/2 to 3/4 turn is normally the minimum. Maximum is probably double that.

7/8 turn sounds ok to me. Others may way in as I haven't stuffed around with these in decades.
OK thanks, yeah I didn't think 1/8 would make any difference.