Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V8 EFI in Opel Monza

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
Ow i noticed something that i cant understand what causing it....

I took the front pully off and replaced the sealring just in case i wanted it to not leaking and wenn the engine was out it was piss easy to replace the pulley sealring in the timing cover....So that went well the pully bolt was out real quick and i pulled off the pully from crank without tools i remember that.

But now i have oil in the centre of the pulley like its leaking from the bolt i cleaned the pully inside for the 2th car since the car is running i dont want it to leak a drup of oil,so what can that be?

Its not much just a drup or 2 3 in a few days but i dont want it to leak.

Can it be a cracked pulley or does the oil bolt end up in the oil galery and shut i use some kind a sealant on the treath?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Certainly shouldn't be able to remove the harmonic balancer without a puller. Maybe the crank or the balancer is damaged. You can try a tiny bit of sealant over the end of the crank when you go to refit the harmonic balancer. I've used head stud sealant for this before.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
^ what he said, number 3 sealant on thread and under head of bolt might fix it.

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
What shut the oil pressure be after the engine is hot for 20/30min in a climat of 25 degrees on flat land.......

I mean its not a 40 degree day here and i havent abused the engine in terms of pulling a heavy trailer or something trough mountains so the oil is not burning hot but my oil pressure gauge pointed at 1 bar at idle (idle is 900rpm Jason/Greenfoam added 100 revs to it for more oil flow) and at 2000rpm its around 3 bar...

Is this common for these types of engines or shut i order a high volume pump with longer gear wheels...(use one of them in my current euro engine without a problem for 6 7 years now as daily) That boosted up the oil flow alot i hardly ever get less them 2 bars measured at the end of the oil gallery on my inline 6 euro engine but compared to that the holden 304 seems to have no oil pressure......Is this normal?

The VR only had a oil pressure warning light but i think of putting in a cluster without pressure gauge cause this makes me feel bad wenn seeing these low pressure it gives me the idea the engine is near dead.....

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Most hot idle around 10psi

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
I wanne have that car on the road coming spring and since its winter here in Europe i can spend a bit time on it to fix the last issues it has:

Starter motor need to be shimmed so the starter is a bit more off the flex plate and it starts to spin before it hits the flex plate..

I need to change the safety switch so i can only start it in park and neutral...(cause it allready caused me a rear bumper cause i started it wenn it was in reverse and it rolled against the house) but i found a bumper in the exact same colour in like new conditon so just need to swap.

And a exhaust system need to be made 2x- 2,5 inch or something like that but i let a exhaust shop do that..

And i allready placed Abbott Cable X box to drive my original mechanical speedo but where do i take the signal from the VSS that comes from the 4L60E i need a 40 impulses per drive shaft rotation signal?
Can i take this from the ecu?

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
Come on somebody must be able to tell me how to wire and adjust the Abbott cable x thing.....Share ure knowledge people...

I took the starter motor out last week and added a few shims and now it starts everytime without a problem,then i added the original VR power/eco button near my gear selector.

Will add a pic soon,but please somebody help me a with my cable x thing.

Last edited:

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
ei8o7d.jpg

Normal

a1h5og.jpg

And in sport setting (that LED is normaly very bright but it was taken on a sunny day.

I think it looks quit nice vs that ugly switch i had.

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
Its been over a year and i fixed a few small things like the gear selector switch so u can only start the car only in P and N plus i hooked up the speedo (by a Abbot cable x box)

I had that car standing here and looked at almost 1 2 3x week and i though all it needs is a exhaust so i found a relative new company on fb who advertised with customs exhaust systems on demand in any form.......contacted him by email had a good phone call 2 days later the guy who does the exhaust came have a look as he is like 25 30 min from me so a few days later he picked the car up on a trailer and then he started sending me updates:

The exhaust is overkill for a stock 304 but it works..

Sounds like this:

All it needs is a wheel agliment for the front axel and its road worthly more or less (intakes leaks a small bit coolant and the crank pulley is wet from engine oil on the inside (use gas tape on the pully bolt will fix it)

But i can drive it without a problem the car will be deliverd to me in thuesday.

Ben

6.jpg
uitlaat monza.jpg
uitlaat monza 2.jpg
uitlaat monza 3.jpg
2.jpg
1.1.jpeg
6.jpg
uitlaat monza.jpg
uitlaat monza 2.jpg
uitlaat monza 3.jpg
2.jpg
1.1.jpeg

Last edited:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
It will sound nicer particularly inside with rear resonator...if it doesn't drone & not too loud for you leave it.

Also tend to get resonance sound when tailpipe finishes before bumper bar so they'll usually go few inches past the bar..metal bumpers do it the most.

Too late now & never heard of Abbot cable box but speedo signal is in harness or can be traced off ecu plug violet with white trace or diagrams & info ect on pcmhacking anyway.

Over here commodores are electric speedo only way to correct speedo on vn-vs is with corrector box that bidges to speedo wire & adjusting it to correct speedo.

On cars with mechanical speedo now can get speedhut(?) box basically electric motor to spin cable for speedo of old cars & they'll either go off vss or gps