Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V8 EFI in Opel Monza

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
Well no news of any meaning......All i need to do now is:

Shim the starter motor so it doesnt engage as much as it does now cause its almost 100% sticking in the flex plate teeth witch normaly is 2/3 or 1/2 and place a shim between startermotor and block...so i have a little bit more play between the teeths.

I just hope i can het the starter out or else i need to spend along time with taking stuff like steering rack and exhaust manifold off...we,ll see how bad i designed things...

And i need to wire up this electric motor that shut drive my speedo cable....But i dont look forward cause the adjusting isnt my things cause i dont have a decent idea how to get a starting point....

Place the gearshifter plus switch for the eco power mode,love to i know 100% how to do it..

Fix my high idle.........But this is what happend:

V8 was fine in the VR took it out of the commodore and send it to the netherlands once here i broke the electric plug connetion on the idle valve with a screwdriver cause i was a bit rude i was pushing a water hose off and broke the plug connection,so i placed another idle valve from some GM car think it was Opel Vectra A or B(one that has same idle valve) and since i brough it back to life it has code 36 vaccuum leak but i blew a few cans of brake cleaner around the manifold and on the hose connections but no result and now i really really suspect the idle air valve for being dodgy and causing this pretty high idle rpm cause in Australia it was running sweet here its like 900/1000 rpm at idle and wenn i put it in gear it shut crawl forward but it takes off slowly but it keeps gaining more and more speed and then keeps driving at 1100 and it even shift up to 2th gear without touching the pedal...So i want that vacuum leak (most likely idle air valve) fixed and a idle of around what it was in Australia......

Exhaust and wheel agliment others will do it for me...
But soon it will be on the highway in Germany see what it does in terms of V-max and how it will take off vs other cars,this isnt a BMW M5 killer at all but i am sure it will be good enough for daily traffic to go with the flow

Last edited:

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
Is there a trick to the idle on a rpm u want like a screw or something that u can use as basis setting???????????????????

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
The iac might have the same style plug but wired backwards

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
Its like this:
I start the engine and the iac valve is open for 4 5 6 sec (i guess) raising idle to 1100rpm on my tacho,then it drops to 900 this is all normal..

Wenn lettin the engine it raises the idle controled like 10sec per 2 minutes a 200/300 rpm....

Wenn i shut the engine off i hear a sound of air sissing..........

I go make a vid of this and then its all logic and i am sure its not a big issue cause the engine problem light stays off..

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
so is the iac working in reverse is what delco suggested otherwise is it in the tune If you put the holden memcal backin with the standard tune does it do it then? If you want to run it on lpg why bother with the v8 conversion?

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
Liqued injected LPG so no powerloss in the future is the planning cause:

In Aus u make 30$ a hour and fuel is 1,5/2$ thats like 20L of a fuel a hour..
Here we make like 20$ a hour and fuel is 2,25/2,5$ thats no fun if u burn 20l on 100kays..

Anyway today i placed the custom made gear stick from a Monza bottom half and a VR upper half and i save u the whole story but its in now and need some adjusting but i go use the VR gear PRND321 thing to soo i can exactly see what gear i am in,but i need to adjust the shifter bar a bits hard to get it in P and wenn in D 3 its trying to go in 2th so i need more play on the lever between trannie and gear selector will do that tomorow..
And i go place a switch and LED in the plate around the gear selector so i can see wenn its eco and sport mode,try to let it look as stock as possible,dont like cars with meters and switches and stuff thats look very cheap and aftermarket.(but thats my case)
I want this car to look like it was factory made,no thick loud pipes,just a bit lower and some 17 18 19 inche wheels and a stock GSE rear spoiler and tinted windows in the back,thats all i wanne do about it...

Something like the other Monza:
2d0yya0.jpg

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
1z2hrok.jpg

r6zhh2.jpg

Aint that stock looking i used all the parts from the VR to fit in my console and i added a small switch witch put the wire on earth so the power mode gets activated so the 4L60E shifst a bit later,tomorrow i go a small LED light near that switch so i can see wenn its pwr mode or not.
This looks all pretty stock,and thats what i like,shifter works nicely just as in the VR Commie

Vc4.7v8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC V8/VF SS sportswagon
Awesome build love reading this thread and seeing it move along.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
You could see if the IAC valve is opening further by disconnecting it whilst engine is idling normally, turn off engine then remove the valve and look/measure how far out it is then do the same whilst its at high idle and see if its opened further.

You may need leave the battery off to reset the computer as it might code up as soon as its unplugged im not sure.

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
I go take the trottlebody off and take that valve out and hook it up the connector and put the ignition on and see what it does..

I just placed a led that blinks wenn in power mode and the powermode works awesome...I had a straight road of like 2 kays and i floored it all the way and it pulls hard i loved the take off power from idle vs my current euro engines just it need to get some exhaust and the steeringwheel need to put in straight and i need to shim that starter and get the speedo going but i dont have much time these days.....