Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V8 EFI in Opel Monza

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
This car has a speedo that needs a cable just as ure VB-VL models i guess and the box is a 4l60E without a speedo cable option so i took the speedo signal near the ecu and the speedo is driven indeed by a small electric motor thats mounted behind the glovebox..
I can use the tacho for 4 6 and 8 cyl i can turn a screw on the back so its correct reading for a 8 cyl now.
Oil pressure meter i used from my old inline 6 engine and the water temp sensor too.

I love to get it back on thuesday and take it to the fuel station and fill it up and cruise with it...It will be the first time in 11 years the old engine moves on own power to get some fuel.

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
My intake manifold leaks a little coolant on the back on the intake near the dizzy,what need to be done to fix this?

Drain coolant offcourse and then:

Wiring harness off-trottle cable off-fuel lines off-injectors+fuel rails off intake- and all 6/7 bolts per side out of the manifold and then take it off and the n put new gasket in and thats it?

Last edited:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Give area good clean then heat it up again for another look or pressure test to see where leak is from.

Common for them to leak oil from dissy gasket or if still got factory seal or cork front/rear of intake...most here toss them use silicon especially if heads/intake been machined.

Only water can think of is back couple bolts on intake heads have water passage but on banana intake it's blanked like most so could be leaking past intake bolts or past inlet gasket possibly corroded manifold.

Can easily turn into nightmare pulling intake if engine sat for years or poorly maintained.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Torque check the back bolts on manifold, as they do sometimes come a little loose.
Plus clean and drive to see if fixed or not.
Otherwise pull manifold, clean both surfaces and fit new gasket.

Fuel rail - you may be able to unbolt from manifold and swing the whole thing out of the way without depressurizing the system.

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
I will try to get some pics as soon as possible,but my gaskets between head and block are brittle (the pieces that stick out) and i took the compressor hose and blew all crap away between heads and intake and checked wenn the car was heating up and i saw a few drups coolant appear between near the water passages in the head.

I have a few gasket sets here for intake and exhaust as u better have them around wenn ure in Europe,but from what i see its not the hardest thing to do.....wenn i have a afternoon off and the weather is bit warmer i will take it off and see what i find.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Soak bolts in wd40 or whatever you guys use that way for rusty bolts & try not to snap mofo'

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
Yeah i will spray penetrating oil on them. (Thanks for the tip)

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
All things get to a end including this conversion meaning last monday i dropped the car off at the body shop that does wheel agliments as well and i picked it up on thuesday afternoon and ever since then i use it as my daily for 2 3 days meaning i love it,compared to a original Opel Monza with 3 litre inline 6 engine this "big" engine is a real torque monster.

It has a twin 2,5inch exhaust ending in 3 inch tail pipe (needed to fit in the rear panel/bumper cut out so 3 inch fited 2x 2,5 inch did not) with only one muffler that pretty loud but under 2000rpm is okay and not that loud but wenn u floor it it becomes loud i like that as i love to cruise around with low rpm i wil make a vid soon of how the car looks and drives.

After 12years its finaly came to a point where i can say.........It done project completed,and the best thing is its not leaking 0 drup of any fluid i expected it to leak engine oil or trannie fluid but the car is 100% not incontinent,very happy with that as bonus,

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
All things get to a end including this conversion meaning last monday i dropped the car off at the body shop that does wheel agliments as well and i picked it up on thuesday afternoon and ever since then i use it as my daily for 2 3 days meaning i love it,compared to a original Opel Monza with 3 litre inline 6 engine this "big" engine is a real torque monster.

It has a twin 2,5inch exhaust ending in 3 inch tail pipe (needed to fit in the rear panel/bumper cut out so 3 inch fited 2x 2,5 inch did not) with only one muffler that pretty loud but under 2000rpm is okay and not that loud but wenn u floor it it becomes loud i like that as i love to cruise around with low rpm i wil make a vid soon of how the car looks and drives.

After 12years its finaly came to a point where i can say.........It done project completed,and the best thing is its not leaking 0 drup of any fluid i expected it to leak engine oil or trannie fluid but the car is 100% not incontinent,very happy with that as bonus,
They are never done. There is always something you think of, wouldn't that be cool (whatever you haven't already done to it).
Good luck with it!
And we are waiting for the pics please! :) ;) :cool:

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza

I have a small problem the car runs fine no issues just i have a leaking waterpump,meaning there is coolant under the ballancer and the bottom of the waterpump is wet,so i orderd one from GMB and it arrived last week but its one with a stamped impellor,shut i put it on or shut i better order a decent one with a cast impeller?

And my engine is standard meaning it only memcal tune and big exhaust and thats,but i wanne have a few spare parts like lifters so what brand shut i buy,my engine is a VR 304 stock engine nothing special i dont want roller lifters or big cams or or i like it as it.

Are crow lifters any good they are like 10$ each for that price u cant make quality heat treathed lifters or am i wrong?

I have a spair gasket kit and beside the GMB waterpump (that i dont like as it looks cheap) i will buy one with a cast impellor,and a spare dizzy and maybe a high volume oilpump and lifters,things like p/s pump i can grab from Chev or Opel here just as the alternator and electric things like sensors and injectors.