Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V8 EFI in Opel Monza

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
2dax109.jpg

I modified my trimatic shifter with the VR gear pattern.....But if u look closely u see P R N D but i have a huge D that means i can put it in 3 without problems from or obstacles wenn i am in D?

2dqfz9.jpg

This is a like a modified VR shifter that bolts 1:1 in my Monza and looks stock the damage on the lower part of the gear sick is from the grinding off cause it was on welded on the other side first....But it works sweet.......i even made the part in the tunnel to the correct lengh and i will use the VR PRND321 tag

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Keep up the good work.

Vince Warne

Reaction score
Members Ride
H.b.d vy ute.commodore
All the info u have is great but one thing all vb to vl had double skin engine bays this was because of cracking at the strut towers be aware of this also vp harness is a better option the v6shop in Perth sells wire harnesses for conversions they may be able to help

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
Yeah the strut towers here are nr1 weakness..................I am sure 90% of the shells here has rust there,i repaired my previous cars but this one need a rust repai at the stut towers in 2 3 4 years too,cause its beginning.

1675kd5.jpg

2cp7q1g.jpg

U get handy in fixing them haha i am not scared for that rust there anymore,i use 20x20mm bars from massive steel as 3 angle welded all the way to the A-pillar,i crashed one of the cars years back and the whole front was faulded up just to the point around the strutt tower cause i used 4mm thick plate around the strut tower that i shaped with a massive hammer,and i connected that with the 3 angle design of 20x20mm full metal bar.....Thats bullet prove and it stays clean from leafes and crap.

I will use a strutbrace anyway once its on the road.

But for now i am busy placing the ECU cause its in a black plastic thing that holds it in place,but i am making that black holder thing ready to fit my passener foot space,and i am waiting for a switch with led for my power/eco button that a VR VS VT and and have once i have that i take a day off from work to do all the wiring at ones...

I have this cabbot cable x thing does anybody know how to set it cause its not really making much sence to me..........
My speedo is W-694 means per kilometer my speedo cable twist 694x.........how do i set the abbot cable x thing so it spins the speedo cable 694x per kilometer.......?

By the way Super 6 i use a VR loom cause i have a 4l60E behind my 304 as one matching kit and a 4L60E is quit similair to a TH700 and doing the wiring on them is piss easy cause the shifting part is nothing that need to be wired its all in the ECU,just the power eco switch but thats of no meaning to get that working.
In fact i like this trannie cause it has a bit of emotional value cause it was part of the VR that drove me around south east australia.

Many people say a VN VP loom is the way to go but a VR VS loom is just the same a VT 5L loom is diffent never payed attension to that........But paying people for hooking up a few relays is madness,i am bad with electrics but i like doing my own wiring..And ones u go sit down and look at the sheduals u find out its really simple to wire them up.

Last edited:

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
I am just curious............do Holden v8,s (253 308 304 355 383) head gaskets break down alot or is this very very very rare?

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Great read and pics. I did a Holden EFI 304 (mine was 355) conversion in a HQ Holden (1974) a few years back and can sympathise with the little fiddly bits of modification/customisation that goes into making everything work. My donor engine was from a VP Clubsport.

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
And its alive.............

I need to do a few small things like:
Hook up and adjust my electic motor that powers the speedo,its not a big deal just takes much time i guess...Cause i dont have a idea about how to set it up cause i have a european car where the speedo cable spins 694x per km and not 1000x per mile like in the usa + take the signal from the small connector in the cabin..

I need to hook up the power/eco button i have this cover around the gearstick and it has a button in it for the previous gearbox but i cant use that button so i brough me a new switch with a LED in it but it doesnt fit my cover cause its to small so now i brought me a cover from a car without a 4 speed auto but one with a 3 speed auto these dont have that switch so i make a hole in that cover and place my own switch and i need to swap the gear selector but thats easy wenn the centre console is gone.

And i need to shim the startermotor its to tight and wenn the car is hot like after 15 driving and idling it wont engage cause i made it a super tight fit so the tooth would grab in eachother well.............(now i understand why i shut not done that and why there where shims with the startermotor lol)

Here is a vid of nice i placed the starter:
(it was made in the winter of 2011 lol and starting ging problems in 2017 so it was a great design by me lol)

I placed the PCM or computer or how u call that thing and i hooked up a engine malfucntion lamp and i hooked up the tacho it works correct on the v8 but its a 6 cil tacho but i used a USA made dakota digital converter thing that allows me to alter the signal from a engine with more or less cyl so i can use my current stock tacho..

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
Ow there is one weird thing:
No engine electronic failing the engine problem lamp stays off,but like every 2 min wenn idling the engine raises the rpm by opening the idle air valve for 10 15 sec and it raises the idle with 200 300 rpm for a few sec and then it will runn around 900 again.

(it has a greenfoam tune with slighty higher rpm for better oil pressure and water pump rpm) cause i plan on going to drive on LPG soon...)

What can this be???