Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission rebuild 4l60E 500hp sure shift automatics

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
Ginger Beer
what car have you fitted the Race TCS traction controller too?
Im driving around in VN (pre ABS)?
not sure whether the RTCS controller will work need to have deaper dive into it

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Ginger Beer
what car have you fitted the Race TCS traction controller too?
Im driving around in VN (pre ABS)?
not sure whether the RTCS controller will work need to have deaper dive into it
VX SS, so ABS

You can attach (hall effect) wheel speed sensors to anything, lots of people do in the motorsport world, faily simple to mount a hall effect to trigger of a wheel stud of bolt on the wheels

Once you have them fitted you just program the traction control with the trigger (tooth) count, then go for a drive to see the speed of each wheel (no wheel spin), then adjust the count if required in the configurator until all 4 wheels are showing the same speed, then set your slip parameters

There is a bit more to it IRT "tuning the slip", but the support from RaceTCS is second to none, you just take a log and send it to them with what your after and typically within a day you get a new file to drop in

Keep sending logs till your happy, I sent and received about 10 logs until it was as good as it would get

The green line is the traction control activating, I when WOT from stationary, 0-100 in 3.9ish seconds
16908805229067198022876985454911.thumb.jpg.4c83371ad894c0bc8cf213462eb01b6f-1.jpg

As it stops the loss of control of the drivetrain inertia from wheel spin is also helps when it shifts, so minimal to none wheel spin from a 1-2 shift

The RaceTCS is probably the best mod I have ever done to any of my "higher" powered cars, there's no point in power if you cannot put it down

There isn't alot of cars that can beat my 0-100 on the street, either their TC system is to invasive, or they just spin the rears

It is quite novel to just mash the loud pedal from the dig and gap people in their $100-200k sports cars or big power builds without any form of atfermarket TC

It also helps alot with roll ons, before the car would shift down and just spin the wheels hard, now, it just shifts down hard, the TC does it's thing, limiting the amount of wheel spin for best acceleration, and away you go, straight as an arrow

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
VX SS, so ABS

You can attach (hall effect) wheel speed sensors to anything, lots of people do in the motorsport world, faily simple to mount a hall effect to trigger of a wheel stud of bolt on the wheels

Once you have them fitted you just program the traction control with the trigger (tooth) count, then go for a drive to see the speed of each wheel (no wheel spin), then adjust the count if required in the configurator until all 4 wheels are showing the same speed, then set your slip parameters

There is a bit more to it IRT "tuning the slip", but the support from RaceTCS is second to none, you just take a log and send it to them with what your after and typically within a day you get a new file to drop in

Keep sending logs till your happy, I sent and received about 10 logs until it was as good as it would get

The green line is the traction control activating, I when WOT from stationary, 0-100 in 3.9ish seconds
View attachment 259149

As it stops the loss of control of the drivetrain inertia from wheel spin is also helps when it shifts, so minimal to none wheel spin from a 1-2 shift

The RaceTCS is probably the best mod I have ever done to any of my "higher" powered cars, there's no point in power if you cannot put it down

There isn't alot of cars that can beat my 0-100 on the street, either their TC system is to invasive, or they just spin the rears

It is quite novel to just mash the loud pedal from the dig and gap people in their $100-200k sports cars or big power builds without any form of atfermarket TC

It also helps alot with roll ons, before the car would shift down and just spin the wheels hard, now, it just shifts down hard, the TC does it's thing, limiting the amount of wheel spin for best acceleration, and away you go, straight as an arrow
I think BJ was interested in how it controls spin/traction.
Is it a transmission line pressure thing, an abs/brake caliper thing, a spark retardation thing, or a throttle percentage think (FBW obviously, so probably not with a VX)

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I think BJ was interested in how it controls spin/traction.
Is it a transmission line pressure thing, an abs/brake caliper thing, a spark retardation thing, or a throttle percentage think (FBW obviously, so probably not with a VX)
Fuel cut, shuts 2 or more injectors down 100% to control wheel speed

Works off the front to rear wheel speed, if it sees anymore than the set % of allowed slip it takes over

There's a heap of info about RaceTCS and injector cut on the Googles

I know a few guys that have been using either RaceTCS or Racelogic (similar but older version) on their race cars for years without issue

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Ahhh, yes I never considered that part. Probably use full syn fluid as well. Would they flush a new build?

No, no synthetic fluid in the 4L60e. Stick to DexIII or equivalent.

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
No, no synthetic fluid in the 4L60e. Stick to DexIII or equivalent.

My trans tech who was known as the best in the state used full syn in the 4L60e.

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
Ginger Beer
looks interesting which option are you running from the two?
Did you purchase the item directly or go through stockest here in Aussie?

Dropped the converter into TCE converters in Melb today, had cooks tour around the shop, Grant explained the tracking of production #, and showed us the stators, converters they were building as well as showing us converter which were f.... and what to look for
feeling a little more comfortable looks like 3500 rpm will be it for stall... 2 weeks delivery

Went to see trans guy on the way and had another chat. Perhaps I'm over thinking the trans, however dont want the trans to **** itself and want to get some seat time
Would like to give the trans a go myself with the build, however common sence is telling me I have enough to do with everything else and leave itto the professionals !!!!

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
However common sence is telling me I have enough to do with everything else and leave itto the professionals !!!!
This ^^^^^

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Would like to give the trans a go myself with the build, however common sence is telling me I have enough to do with everything else and leave itto the professionals !!!!

Even if I get someone else to do the transmission work, I like to understand what’s involved, and understand what the tricky bits are (and any special tooling required). At least it allows me to ask the right questions when getting work done. Also, I just find the technical manuals interesting reading. Getting a copy of this https://atsgbookstore.com/4l60e/ could be interesting reading?

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Ginger Beer
looks interesting which option are you running from the two?
[/URL][/URL][/URL]
Did you purchase the item directly or go through stockest here in Aussie?

Dropped the converter into TCE converters in Melb today, had cooks tour around the shop, Grant explained the tracking of production #, and showed us the stators, converters they were building as well as showing us converter which were f.... and what to look for
feeling a little more comfortable looks like 3500 rpm will be it for stall... 2 weeks delivery

Went to see trans guy on the way and had another chat. Perhaps I'm over thinking the trans, however dont want the trans to **** itself and want to get some seat time
V2, there was no V3 when I purchased

Not sure what is different, apart from the case and included harness with the plug for the box

The harness would make it easier and quick to wire the box, the V2 requires you to terminate the 16 injector wires, 8 ABS wires, and the power and earth separately into the box

Wiring the V2 isn't hard, just time consuming

If they had the V3 when I was purchasing I probably would have got it for a easier and quicker install

I would send Jarek at RaceTCS a email and have a conversation, he is a really a great guy and supports his product 100%

Tell him Mark with the supercharged red VX commodore said hi and is loving the RaceTCS