Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission rebuild 4l60E 500hp sure shift automatics

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It only says to fit.
Nothing about removing?
I assumed it meant both? Last time I enquired about getting one built it was about $300 on top of the build to remove and refit.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Wholl, $770 to remove and fit. I don't think they like doing that bit, so trying to put people off I suspect hahaha.
The 4l60e transmission takes 12 ltrs for a dry fill, including the converter, plus they may flush it a bit as well, I believe for a good flush it could easily take 20 ltrs, so there is a few hundred for that.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Last time I enquired about getting one built it was about $300 on top of the build to remove and refit
Was that for the vr?

I think there would be maybe 4 - 5 hrs to remove & replace eg. ve trans?

Most places charge $120.00 per hr. plus trans fluid, new radiator if needed ? It all starts adding up.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The 4l60e transmission takes 12 ltrs for a dry fill, including the converter, plus they may flush it a bit as well, I believe for a good flush it could easily take 20 ltrs, so there is a few hundred for that.

Ahhh, yes I never considered that part. Probably use full syn fluid as well. Would they flush a new build?

Was that for the vr?

I think there would be maybe 4 - 5 hrs to remove & replace eg. ve trans?

Most places charge $120.00 per hr. plus trans fluid, new radiator if needed ? It all starts adding up.

Yeah but BJ has a VN. I would have thought three hours remove and refit.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Ginger Beer, thanks for taking time to reply
Im in Vic, and was considering various trans co to build 4L60 (1991 VN) / stroked 304, howveer interesting to hear your comments from someone who has done it

Im in two minds whether to go with manual conversion or stick with Auto (preference)
I'll be running 3200-3500 stall 9.5" Dia TCE, as about to push button on sending converter back to get flushed and tweak vanes to suit
My rear diff ratio is 3.73
engine is now 350ci, Hyd roller 242-248 duration @ 0.050", and 0.595" lift with 1.65" rockers, 10.5:1 compression, so nonear torque/HP as you

I was really considering 6L80E behind the 304 as also drive the VF SS and like the 6 speed auto, but realsiing this is pipe dream as need the electronics to work with auto as well

I'm working on $3.5K for 4L60 tranny rebuild as its most probably easier to stray with what I have and upgrade the parts as opposed to going with larger/stronger 4L80E+controller ( which will most probably cost more $$)
However Im in two minds to bring the parts in from USA and ask the auto trans rebuilder to put it together to ensure I understand whats inside the box

What did Craigs Auto's do to the 4L60E to make it live, and could I ask approx. what were the costs of the build
Im interested to see what parts are need for 600 hp build

I need the tranny built in next month and then can finish building engine and drop bothe into car
Im plumbed out with 2 transmission coolers, with dash 8 lines connecting both
up front:
remote: Aeroflow AF72-4040 (330x312x51mm,)
AF72-6003 (250x190x32mm, 350 cfm 7" fan)
also running davies craig electric water pump,
new 3 core holden brass radiator with large fins/opening
so I think Im covered for cooling
Around $4k
Resized_20231019_190625.jpeg

Last time it was out for inspection I also had a heavy duty flex plate and ARP bolts installed as the OEM flex plates have a tendency to crack at high rpm and cause vibration, cost was minimal in the big picture

A well built and serviced 4l60e, with a trans cooler, would be fine at your power levels, if your not limiter bashing it

If you manual swapped I would use a Magnum T56, especially if you want it to last

I looked into upgrading my auto, T400, or a 6L80e, the T400 still needs to be "built", and there's no "affordable" overdrive (I do alot of HWY cruising. The 6L80e also needs to be built, and fitting is costly

I believe it worked out a bit over $10k to get a built T400 in

And if I recall correctly the 6L80e was just over $20k built, installed wired and tuned

I ended up not adding more power and just rolling with the 4l60e, the car is well fast enough on the street, and the RaceTCS aftermarket traction control I fitted stops the torque induced smoke show and gives me a 3.9ish second 0-100 kph on 255/40 17 Hankook RS4's

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah, BJ said he plans too. I was more making a comment at the price in the pic that says $770 to fit, which I thought was a lot, but with fluid and labour increases maybe it's that price at most places?

I think it was only about four hours of my total labour when I had my trans and sump pulled a couple of months ago and that was a clutch removal and SC bleed as well.

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
Ginger Beer
sorry should of explained, TCE trans are going to split the converter, check out stator, as converter is 2800-3000 rpm now and needs a tweak to 3200-3500 rpm, then sew it back up

if we going tio this much trouble dont want any loose ends

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
Yeah, BJ said he plans too. I was more making a comment at the price in the pic that says $770 to fit, which I thought was a lot, but with fluid and labour increases maybe it's that price at most places?

I think it was only about four hours of my total labour when I had my trans and sump pulled a couple of months ago and that was a clutch removal and SC bleed as well.
Ginger Beer
Ive got the torque converter in boot ready to drop off tomorrow, 3 week turn around, and will stop in and have a chat with tranny guy and see what he is thinking as only want to do this once

Looks like the 4L80E can be used to TCM 2800 controller, and harness for A$1800, which would be a good upgrade from the T400

I have a powerglide here with reverse manual valve body, which used to run 25 yrs ago in LH holden SBC, sold the 5000 rpm torque converter kept trans ... just in case.
However want the overdrive 4L60 for street