Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission rebuild 4l60E 500hp sure shift automatics

Neenor

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SS
Has any one had a 4l60E 500hp build from sure shift automatics, im getting my box rebuilt there next week the last build i got 2 years ago failed after 22000 kms pretty peed off about that it wasnt built at sure shift last time if you want to know who built that crappy box DM me I dont want to publicly flame the builder just yet.

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
how is the 4160E holding up, looking to get a 4160 built

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
how is the 4160E holding up, looking to get a 4160 built
I had a 4l60e built by Craig's Automatics, rated to 600hp at the engine, it has been dealing with a blown LS1 for the last few years no issue, it was pulled apart a month ago for an inspection and it was all good to go with only a fluid replacement

But, even "fully" built 4l60e's can have issues if it hits the OEM traction control hard, bash the limiter, or if you don't change the fluid at regular intervals, km or time, I get it fully flushed out yearly, converter included, the converter holds around 70% of the transmission fluid , only draining the pan changes only about 30% of the old fluid

Full flushing is simple and Google is your friend there

Also if you have a higher stall you need bigish trans cooler to keep temps in check, higher stall = more slip, more slip = more temp, high trans fluid temps are bad, m,kay

Mine gets fully flushed with a new filter yearly, and has a PWR trans cooler as it has a 2800 stall, it's had alots of runs down the strip, rolls and HWY cruising

And whilst the built box is rated to 600hp at the engine, my car is making 600hp at the engine (500hpatw), 11.02 at 125mph at the drags, but with over 900nm of torque atw.

Always remember that transmissions are rated to engine power, not wheel power

In saying that, my 600hp rated 4l60e has had years of abuse, and the internals show no real wear

Remember to get your transmission line pressure "tuned" to suit your power as well, the OEM transmission "tune" is as loose as (read: rubbish), and even with stock power is a issue with slow shifts and heat

https://www.craigsautos.com.au/automatic-transmission/performance-cars/

Last edited:

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
Ginger Beer, thanks for taking time to reply
Im in Vic, and was considering various trans co to build 4L60 (1991 VN) / stroked 304, howveer interesting to hear your comments from someone who has done it

Im in two minds whether to go with manual conversion or stick with Auto (preference)
I'll be running 3200-3500 stall 9.5" Dia TCE, as about to push button on sending converter back to get flushed and tweak vanes to suit
My rear diff ratio is 3.73
engine is now 350ci, Hyd roller 242-248 duration @ 0.050", and 0.595" lift with 1.65" rockers, 10.5:1 compression, so nonear torque/HP as you

I was really considering 6L80E behind the 304 as also drive the VF SS and like the 6 speed auto, but realising this is pipe dream as need the electronics to work with auto as well

I'm working on $3.5K for 4L60 tranny rebuild as its most probably easier to stay with what I have and upgrade the parts as opposed to going with larger/stronger 4L80E+controller ( which will most probably cost more $$)
However I'm in two minds to bring the parts in from USA and ask the auto trans rebuilder to put it together to ensure I understand whats inside the box

What did Craig's Auto's do to the 4L60E to make it live, and could I ask approx. what were the costs of the build
Im interested to see what parts are need for 600 hp build

I need the tranny built in next month and then can finish building engine and drop both into car
I'm plumbed out with 2 transmission coolers, with dash 8 lines connecting both
up front: Aeroflow AF72-4040 (330x312x51mm,)
remote: AF72-6003 (250x190x32mm, 350 cfm 7" fan)
also running Davies Craig electric water pump,
new 3 core holden brass radiator with large fins/opening
so I think Im covered for cooling

Last edited:

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
This link just gets my home feed
Its about RV Performance.

There's a price guide of rebuilding the trans.
I think 650 hp.

Its not giving me the prices now. Next time l see the prices, l'll get a pic post it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I personally wouldn't buy the parts yourself. Most trans builders can buy parts cheaper than you can. If you want a warranty then he has an out clause if you supply the bits. Is he not willing to give you a run down on what upgrade parts he is planning to fit? My old trans builder had no issues at all with the latter. IMHO I don't think it should be a tightly held secret.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Next time l see the prices, l'll get a pic post it
20231019_182029[1].jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Wholl, $770 to remove and fit. I don't think they like doing that bit, so trying to put people off I suspect hahaha.