Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help build a new computer!!

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
Also forgot to mention a price for anyone interested. Using a combination of MSY, CPL and internet shops I purchased all of the following for $1494:
CoolerMaster Centurian case
550W PSU
Asus P5K Pro MOBO
Intel E8500 Dual core processor
4GB transcend kit (thinking of going 8GB for the hell of it running 64-bit vista)
Asus 1GB 8800GT Graphics card
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Card
Leadtek DVR3200H HD TV Tuner card
Seagate 750GB SATA HDD
Seagate 250GB SATA HDD
Pioneer 20x SATA DVD burner
Once I work out how to fit the TV Tuner card in (the graphics card has a huge heatsink and fan) my uncles mate is going to give it the once over to make sure I have it all wired correctly since it's been about 2 years since I have built my own system and that was using IDE and an on board graphics setup.
Once again, thanks to all who helped out!!

HOW GOOD IS THAT! that computer in a store (know it doesnt come with a monitor etc) but that would be a $2500+ system. The difference being, you know the componants you've bought are quality componants, plus the satisfaction of putting it together and knowing how it all works

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
yeah thats the same monitor i have. ****s all over any others i have seen so far.

maybe not my lcd tv though lol

I love it, im a fan of keeping the same brands aswell. ASUS motherboard, ASUS graphics card and an ASUS LCD :)

Same with a keyboard and mouse, i'd like them both to be logitech. All the same brand RAM, same brand HDD.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
HOW GOOD IS THAT! that computer in a store (know it doesnt come with a monitor etc) but that would be a $2500+ system. The difference being, you know the componants you've bought are quality componants, plus the satisfaction of putting it together and knowing how it all works
I'm looking at around $320 for a monitor, $89 for a mouse, $120-150 for a keyboard and $135 for Vista. Couldn't find a system like mine pre built any way.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
$335 :) I want to sell it thou and get dual ASUS 24"s lol @ $500 each, i like the "splendid" feature that they have, i used it quite a bit.

As i said in the other thread that logitech edge keyboard would be mine IF it had a side keypad.

Is SATA like HDMI? One cable for everything? When i built mine sata wasnt even out yet lol. As you 2 said its a bit scary changing over to something you've never used b4 lol

LOl, that not to badly priced, and dual 24's WTF, thats massive, A bloke i was working with recently was looking at buying a 30" inch monitor for 1800 bux so dual 24's doesnt sound so silly. SATA still uses a seperate power cable, its just a better and faster design to IDE, and is simply to use, and you cant bend pins or anything, also you can setup SATA hotswap, so you dont need to turn the comp off to remove secondary hard drives.

Also forgot to mention a price for anyone interested. Using a combination of MSY, CPL and internet shops I purchased all of the following for $1494:
CoolerMaster Centurian case
550W PSU
Asus P5K Pro MOBO
Intel E8500 Dual core processor
4GB transcend kit (thinking of going 8GB for the hell of it running 64-bit vista)
Asus 1GB 8800GT Graphics card
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Card
Seagate 750GB SATA HDD
Seagate 250GB SATA HDD
Pioneer 20x SATA DVD burner
Once I work out how to fit the TV Tuner card in (the graphics card has a huge heatsink and fan) my uncles mate is going to give it the once over to make sure I have it all wired correctly since it's been about 2 years since I have built my own system and that was using IDE and an on board graphics setup.
Once again, thanks to all who helped out!!

Sounds like an awesome machine, and for not very much at all. You should be right with wiring, you cant really go wrong with the new ones, only really the front switches can be wired wrong, but you'd have to be unlucky to cause damage. Turn it on, and see if it loads everything in the bios, also double check you have power going to your graphics card fan, ive forgoten that one before.

Agreed, Its so much more beneficial to build your own computer, its cheaper, you know how to fix it or upgrade, and you know its done with quality parts and care was taken during assembly.

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
LOl, that not to badly priced, and dual 24's WTF, thats massive, A bloke i was working with recently was looking at buying a 30" inch monitor for 1800 bux so dual 24's doesnt sound so silly. SATA still uses a seperate power cable, its just a better and faster design to IDE, and is simply to use, and you cant bend pins or anything, also you can setup SATA hotswap, so you dont need to turn the comp off to remove secondary hard drives.
Agreed, Its so much more beneficial to build your own computer, its cheaper, you know how to fix it or upgrade, and you know its done with quality parts and care was taken during assembly.

I went from a crappy 15" to a LG 17" "flatron" flat screen, but still a CRT monitor, to a 15" HP LCD (SMMMMMALLLLL) to the 22" ASUS, HUGE jump. I love the size of it. Im able to do work so much easier. I wanted to get dual 22"s but then the 24" came out like 2 weeks after i had bought the 22". So i said **** it. Ill sell the 22" and get dual 24"s instead. Its not like its a wank factor, I would be able to do my work so much easier and quicker with 2 monitors, and the added benifit of watching a movie or something while doing work :p lol

Never knew that about the SATA hot swap, I've got a external HDD in a craddle, am i able to hot swap it? Firewire a different thing all together aswell isnt it?

I should really upgrade mine, its really obsolete now, im running a 2.6 pentium 4... lol

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
I went from a crappy 15" to a LG 17" "flatron" flat screen, but still a CRT monitor, to a 15" HP LCD (SMMMMMALLLLL) to the 22" ASUS, HUGE jump. I love the size of it. Im able to do work so much easier. I wanted to get dual 22"s but then the 24" came out like 2 weeks after i had bought the 22". So i said **** it. Ill sell the 22" and get dual 24"s instead. Its not like its a wank factor, I would be able to do my work so much easier and quicker with 2 monitors, and the added benifit of watching a movie or something while doing work :p lol

Never knew that about the SATA hot swap, I've got a external HDD in a craddle, am i able to hot swap it? Firewire a different thing all together aswell isnt it?

I should really upgrade mine, its really obsolete now, im running a 2.6 pentium 4... lol

Hot swapping, Ive never actually tried to do it, I dont have a spare SATA drive lol. Just read about it, and they computer I built for mum has the function to do it, I think you can only do it on Vista as far as im aware.

Im only using 19" Acer monitor, but all it cost me was a year of sex, random gifts, and putting up with the occasional whinge lol.

My comp is a 3.4ghz, 1gb RAM, 320gb hard drive, 128mb graphics. Was the best I could buy 3 years ago, and everyone said I was an idiot for get such a large hard drive lol.

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
Hot swapping, Ive never actually tried to do it, I dont have a spare SATA drive lol. Just read about it, and they computer I built for mum has the function to do it, I think you can only do it on Vista as far as im aware.

Im only using 19" Acer monitor, but all it cost me was a year of sex, random gifts, and putting up with the occasional whinge lol.

My comp is a 3.4ghz, 1gb RAM, 320gb hard drive, 128mb graphics. Was the best I could buy 3 years ago, and everyone said I was an idiot for get such a large hard drive lol.

Mine:
pentium 4 2.6
Asus P4800 Delux
1 gig kingmax ram
40gig seagate
160 gig seagate
MSI 7600 GT 512mb graphics card (real low end 512 card, got it for a 6 pack lol)
ASUS DVD burner

What i want...lol:

ASUS P5E3 PREMIUM/WIFI Motherboard
4-6gb of DDR3 Ram
250gb Seagate SATA HDD (run windows on)
x2 500gb Seagate SATA HDD (storage)
INTEL CORE 2 Q9450 QUAD CORE
ASUS Silent Knight CPU Cooler
ASUS Lightscribe DVD burner
ASUS EN9800GX2 TOP 1GB Graphics card
SILVERSTONE ZEUS 850watt Power Supply

I like ASUS if you havent noticed lol

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Mine:
pentium 4 2.6
Asus P4800 Delux
1 gig kingmax ram
40gig seagate
160 gig seagate
MSI 7600 GT 512mb graphics card (real low end 512 card, got it for a 6 pack lol)
ASUS DVD burner

What i want...lol:

ASUS P5E3 PREMIUM/WIFI Motherboard
4-6gb of DDR3 Ram
250gb Seagate SATA HDD (run windows on)
x2 500gb Seagate SATA HDD (storage)
INTEL CORE 2 Q9450 QUAD CORE
ASUS Silent Knight CPU Cooler
ASUS Lightscribe DVD burner
ASUS EN9800GX2 TOP 1GB Graphics card
SILVERSTONE ZEUS 850watt Power Supply

I like ASUS if you havent noticed lol
Depends on what you are using it for, from my research alot of what you have listed is very over the top and pointless:p