Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help build a new computer!!

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
This computer, using the parts I have posted, will be above and beyond what I need so there is no point wasting money on things like that.

ProphetVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Pushie
Plan was to run Vista Ultimate 64bit. MSY is easier for me, can pick up as they are like 15mins from my place, good prices and good after sales support.

Stick with XP. Vista is just one nightmare after another.

VZHSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
z
ehh thats why i said depends on budget.. but yea if u think over kill then fair enough ..
just downgrade a few things . as for the ram i dono alwys liked OCZ seems to perform well

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
if you install vista with no updates it can cause dramas, but most of the time it comes down to how a user sets up vista, ive done around 50 installs in the past year and have it dialed, by reducing security flaws(services), updating to sp1 and all relevant updates and setting the cache and prefetch settings right, it is far more efficiant and quicker than xp pro sp3, browsing your hard drive will take a little longer if you have every effect switched on, but apart of my optimization is to turn off the majority of them to free up around 150 of ram and make windows a breeze to work with.

ive even had celeron 1.5 gz running vista just as quick as xp, all you need is the ram and for vista i recommend 1500-2000mb of ram

Denim

VNWorkhorse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Wagon
I built myself a system not so long ago, had a lot of reading to do before I made the decision of buying these parts, might be a lil overkill in the parts, but I wanted
something where I wouldnt be restricted and would last me a while..

Gigabyte 3DAurora570 Tower case
Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 motherboard
Gigabyte GE Force 8800 GTS 320 mb Graphic card
Extreme Pwr supply 650watts
Intel Quadcore 2.4 CPU
2Gigs of G-Skill 800 Gi ram
Pioneer DVD burner
2- 500 Gig Seagate Sata h/drves
24" ViewSonic monitor
80 Gig external dve
Microsoft k/b and mouse
Extra fans plus other lil bits and peices..

I am more than happy with the system, as I use it a lot with graphics, and also have played games like Crysis, Call of Duty, and other resource hungry games, without
any problem at all on HIGH settings.. but the Giga 640mb vid card has come down a bit in price now, all up it set me back just under $2500 to buy all the parts, makes a big difference
where you buy the parts, I more or less got the monitor for nothing, by buying where I did, cause the others were charging too much..

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Just for those who helped out I have almost finished purchasing and building my computer:thumbsup:
I went with the following:
CoolerMaster Centurian case
550W PSU
Asus P5K Pro MOBO
Intel E8500 Dual core processor
4GB transcend kit (thinking of going 8GB for the hell of it running 64-bit vista)
Asus 1GB 8800GT Graphics card
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Card
Leadtek DVR3200H HD TV Tuner card
Seagate 750GB SATA HDD
Seagate 250GB SATA HDD
Pioneer 20x SATA DVD burner

I only have the HDD's to purchase and i'm all finsihed........can't wait!!!
Thanks once again to all who helped out!!

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
I'm leaving shortly to buy the two HDD's!!!! Almost done now, all I need is a monitor and keyboard/mouse.

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
I'm leaving shortly to buy the two HDD's!!!! Almost done now, all I need is a monitor and keyboard/mouse.

Chosen a monitor yet airstrike?

Depends on how much you want to spend, but with the mouse I got a Logitech MX revolution. Wireless, rechargeable, comes with a cradle that you just throw the mouse into when it gets low, I can get about 4 weeks full everyday use b4 it need a couple of hours to charge then its all good for another month. **** load of buttons. Fits nice into your hand. Good scroll wheels. At around $95 its excellent value for money!

MX_revolution.jpg

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
I have this keyboard as well, some like it some don’t. I like it cus its angled to the angle of yours wrists. Takes a couple of days to get used to but then it feels natural.

MICROSOFT Natural Ergonomic 4000

MSnatural_ergo4000.jpg