Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help build a new computer!!

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Ok time for me to build a new computer to go with the new TV im getting (other thread). I'll be getting all the parts from MSY (attached there parts/price list).
I use my computer mainly for downloading, burning, watching movies/TV shows and play the odd game once a year so what setup would people recommend that isn't just a waste of money.
Cheers

Attachments

• PARTS.pdf
    217.2 KB · Views: 2,820

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Ok....so you want a HTPC? (Home theatre PC)

Let me know what you want it for and ill give you the best specs/price :thumbsup:

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Ok....so you want a HTPC? (Home theatre PC)

Let me know what you want it for and ill give you the best specs/price :thumbsup:
As I listed, basically it will be in my room replacing the TV. Will need a TV tuner card and a decent graphics card. Also enough processing power and RAM to run a few apps at once (watch a movie, while downloading and burning) and plenty of storage space.

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
This is entirley up to you, as because its your budget.
But i would reccomend

CPU: E2160
RAM: 2gb of RAM
Hard drive: seagate 500gb SATA HDD
Motherboard: depending on the case you want, ie could get a micro atx case or a full size desktop one.
Case: Could be just a normal desktop or something flashy. Thats you to you.
TV Card: I am not to good with TV Cards but anything that will at least let you record digital tv and is compatible with 3rd part software would be good. Id suggest maybe put $100 at least towards it.
Graphics: any 512mb 8800GT, they are the best bang for buck. at around $250.

You can always get onboard graphics, go wild on a case, or get a lower graphics card, it just depends on your budget.

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
be interested in the build. after something similar myself, but not interested in it becoming a money pit.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
From talking to mates, and some research I should be able to build what I want for around $700-800 or there abouts using MSY prices.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Make sure you get a good power supply, not just the highest rating, but a good quality aswell.
When choosing a case you need to make sure it has good air flow, specially if its running all the time.
Graphics card - Make sure it has its own RAM and DDR3 or better, dont go getting one that says 512mb on the box, but actually uses 512MB of your system RAM caus thats just the biggest con, and completly slows down your system and graphics.
If you want to be watching TV/movies whilst burning i would be looking at atleast 1gb on XP preferebaly 2gb. But if your running Vista, i would be looking at 2GB plus, mums one has 2gb on Vista and still struggles to watch a movie, but it has an on-board graphics card stealing RAM.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Make sure you get a good power supply, not just the highest rating, but a good quality aswell.
When choosing a case you need to make sure it has good air flow, specially if its running all the time.
Graphics card - Make sure it has its own RAM and DDR3 or better, dont go getting one that says 512mb on the box, but actually uses 512MB of your system RAM caus thats just the biggest con, and completly slows down your system and graphics.
If you want to be watching TV/movies whilst burning i would be looking at atleast 1gb on XP preferebaly 2gb. But if your running Vista, i would be looking at 2GB plus, mums one has 2gb on Vista and still struggles to watch a movie, but it has an on-board graphics card stealing RAM.
Yeah will be 2GB for sure, but thanks for the heads up on the graphics card I didn't think of that.
Anyone feel up for making a parts list from the PDF I listed? No set budget, but no pointless $$$$ wasting though.

blownba

Reaction score
I built my work computer with all the stuff from MSY.
Got a good case Coolermaster elite, with a good power supply in it and a 19" LCD, went for the intel dual core CPU and am running the gigabyte DS4 ultra durable motherboard (with that wicked looking silent pipe system) some mid range ATI radeon video card 2gb ram, 120gb HDD and good high speed DVD burner, keyboard ect. and XP.
All done for just on $1100.
Has been pretty good so far, mostly used for work but I use it for video editing andsome gaming, heaps of downloads and so far I love it.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Going by the MSY list, this is what i would use if i was building a computer similar to your needs and ive added budget allowances, also i havent chose a motherboard to match the system caus i CBF atm, nor did i choose a TV card caus i know nothing about them.
CPU - Intel 775chip, 8400 $299
RAM - 4gb 800 DDR2 kit Transcend $82 (Personelly id be going 4X1gb but they dont have it listed as a kit)
Hard drive - Western digital SATA 750gb $165 (or 1TB for $256 if the budget allows)
Graphics Card - Nvidia (generic which is the Nvidia cards) 512mb 9800gtx $365 (or the 1gb 9800GX2 $681)
Dvd writer - Pioneer 20X SATA DVD-RW $35 (SATA or IDE wont really matter as IDE will still support the burners top speed, but SATA is simpler, neater and better for air flow) (or if you want blu-ray, again go the Pioneer that best suits your needs)
Power supply - They seem over priced, so for that id go one of their cheaper ones either 720 or 860w, or alternitavely shop around for a 750w+ silent power supply.
Case - Just choose one that has enough space for everything you want to put in, aswell as a good air flow, a front low fan is always good on a case matched with a back one, otherwise a decent side fan with back ones.
CPU Fan - I would be upgrading to a Thermaltake CPU fan as the standard ones dont seem to cool very well under harsh conditions or in summer weather.

I have chosen this on what i would do given this list, i chose some brands over others from personel expeirience. Good luck with the build and let us know what you choose. Also im very anal (not gay sex) about cooling, because when i built my first computer ever from scratch i totaly ignored it, and it over heated constantly, i bought the best of everything, yet it could perform because it was getting way to hot, now i have the cooling sorted it is a beautiful machine.

Last edited: