Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aluminum DS for Caprice

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Metric tools, celcius temps and metres for the win.

I like my socket at 10mm and my freezing point at 0 damnit!

In what world is using fractions more logical than millimeter....oh that bolt looks like 19/3248th

I've spent a lot of time in the states, my god it's the most backward-ass place on the planet. Still stuck in it's own bubble of delusional self absorbed importance.

Hey, they've got something over us.....They don't use 10 MM sockets/spanners like us, so they can't loose them.... :p

Wonder what there lost size is?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
3/8th?

WickedGoat

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Pontiac GTO 5.7 LS1 6 speed
Hey, they've got something over us.....They don't use 10 MM sockets/spanners like us, so they can't loose them.... :p

Wonder what there lost size is?
Actually, we use 10mm sockets quite often. So much that in fact, lots of tool manufacturers kindly put together a set of the most common 10mm bits that get lost, never to be found again…

02703D5E-5062-481B-8E68-D8787A9179DE.jpeg

Geez, you can definitely feel the love in this thread…

Reacher

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Caprice
or
or
or an unlimited number of other "physics"

Reacher

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Caprice
especially for V C Commodore:

for Wicked Goat:
on my 04 with a 6m the change from oem to aluminum
", but the aluminum and carbon-fiber shafts are also a lot lighter weight and as a result take less torque to rotate. You also get better response trying to spin the lighter weight driveshaft. We have been told that you can get 6 to 8 horsepower to the rear wheels just by doing a shaft change from steel to aluminum."

The first few responses I got to my initial post were beyond just ignorant, they were smugly wrong

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
We have been told that you can get 6 to 8 horsepower to the rear wheels just by doing a shaft change from steel to aluminum."
Going from steel to aluminium drive shaft will reduce component weight and it may also reduce rotational intertia depending on the design (but it ain't huge).

Obviously reducing inertia will improve throttle response but it can't improve on torque or horsepower as the engine combustion efficiency hasn't changed at all as the engine hasn't been touched... More of the available torque can be used to accelerate the vehicle (rather than be sapped accelerating the gearbox shafts, drive shafts and wheels).

You will even see a hp increase on a dyno but that's just a perceived hp increase. It's just like stripping out the vehicle's interior and then running a 1/4 mile where you'd get a faster times though the engine is exactly the same as before and producing exactly the same hp....

Obviously with low rotational inertia, a component can be accelerated more quickly for a given horsepower but the steady state power level the engine produces hasn't changed at all.

Put another way, its like the age old equation of f=ma (or a=f/m)... for a given force (engine), reduce mass (vehicle weight) will always result in higher acceleration (1/4 mile time). Rotational inertia is much the same though the formula is more complex. However, technically it's wrong to say you have more horsepower...

(guess its just another case of dumbing things down by marketing at the expense of science. It's why we've seen larger diameter wheels with every model release... cause they look cool and peole want them... yet rotational inertia of said wheels has been growing higher which can't be overcome by now changing driveshafts to alloy)

Reacher

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Caprice
Put another way, its like the age old equation of f=ma (or a=f/m)... for a given force (engine), reduce mass (vehicle weight) will always result in higher acceleration (1/4 mile time). Rotational inertia is much the same though the formula is more complex. However, technically it's wrong to say you have more horsepower...

(guess its just another case of dumbing things down by marketing at the expense of science. It's why we've seen larger diameter wheels with every model release... cause they look cool and peole want them... yet rotational inertia of said wheels has been growing higher which can't be overcome by now changing driveshafts to alloy)

Exactly!
Now that dyno tuning is common, the confusion is reinforced.

AND the rotational inertia of giant wheels can't be overcome by now changing driveshafts to carbon fiber. They are a rolling IQ test, always revealing the folly of cosmetics.

Reacher

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Caprice
especially for V C Commodore:
https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/driveshaft-upgrades
Rotating Mass, Available Horsepower, and Acceleration
for Wicked Goat:
on my 04 with a 6m the change from oem to aluminum
", but the aluminum and carbon-fiber shafts are also a lot lighter weight and as a result take less torque to rotate. You also get better response trying to spin the lighter weight driveshaft. We have been told that you can get 6 to 8 horsepower to the rear wheels just by doing a shaft change from steel to aluminum."

No one is contradicting these sources? Nice!