Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Why not to use cheap eBay parts.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
VT fuel modules are another example. AM fuel modules tend to be inaccurate or just don't work well at all.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Been the same throughout history......So nothing really new with that statement
Yes agree, but those who are hedging their bets on AM parts being the answer to keeping their cars going without premature failure will get a rude shock.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The biggest thing is, not buying through ebay or online....Makes warranty issues either non-existant or extremely difficult to get if there is an issue.

Call me old school, a fussy old crunt, or anything like that, but I like to walk into a store, get what I want, grab a receipt so if I have a problem, I can walk back into that store the same day I have the problem and get another part or my cash back so I can get a replacement within a day, not a month

Reactions: Lex

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Fortunately with the 2nd/3rd gen cars you should be able to source from the US should the worst happen. Most modules came from the GM parts bin so should be able to source in the US too.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What even is OEM? I look at my cars and they're made of Bosch, Delphi, VDO, Continental, Elring, Victor Reinz, NGK, Mann, Febi, ACDelco.... dependant on the alignment of the planets. I guess OEM means not sh!t. Say no to no name
Delphi is just a brand name now. They are some of the worst parts sold through auto stores.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yes agree, but those who are hedging their bets on AM parts being the answer to keeping their cars going without premature failure will get a rude shock.

Maybe, maybe not.....I've got aftermarket electronic parts keeping my cars going.....Maynot be complex parts like pedals but things like distributer modules (first gen Commodore) electronic ignition modules (Chrysler), resisters (Chrysler)...I'm using aftermarket because they no longer available OE.....

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
At the end of the day we'll do what we have to. We accepted the high maintenance low bank balance lyfe

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The biggest thing is, not buying through ebay or online....Makes warranty issues either non-existant or extremely difficult to get if there is an issue.

Call me old school, a fussy old crunt, or anything like that, but I like to walk into a store, get what I want, grab a receipt so if I have a problem, I can walk back into that store the same day I have the problem and get another part or my cash back so I can get a replacement within a day, not a month
And that's fine if your happy to replace parts every one to two years. However, those with access to Gen parts will be replacing parts with much longer intervals than those with AM parts fitted.

Engine parts are one exception where AM can often be better than OEM.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
And that's fine if your happy to replace parts every one to two years. However, those with access to Gen parts will be replacing parts with much longer intervals than those with AM parts fitted.

Engine parts are one exception where AM can often be better than OEM.

Not replacing parts that often with my older cars mate.....Last electronic ignition module and resister I replaced on my Chryslers was 20 years ago.....Don't know how old it was when it failed.....

I can go out today, chuck a battery in the car, some fuel down it's guts and they'll fire up.....Last car was driven 3 years ago....

Not sure how the current generation of cars will fair in the aftermarket sector with replacement electronic parts...Time will tell

Reactions: Lex