Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what size king springs on rear on VE ute will sit flat with stock front springs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Calling B/S?
Rude but also ignorant, as in lacking facts.
The movie says when both the F+R springs match. That's confusing until you consider. The front is heavier, so a match for a soft F spring in the rear would have a softer spring rate. On those 1938 cars it was typical that the F spring rate of 300 lbs/in would be matched by a R spring rate of only 100-150 lbs. Later a GM full size car had a F rate of 444 and a rear rate of 154. The rates of a 1994 Impala.
The 1960 US Impala was a 119" wheelbase and in 1960 Holden fashioned it's new unibody car at 118.5", using engineering and spring rate info from US GM.
Pretty sure suspension technology has improved a bit since 1938.....

Not too many VE/VF utes in the USA.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Reacher

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Caprice
It's easy with a car like a full size all coil spring US Impala to remove the shocks F+R and go for a ride. I have. No broken anything. First observation in the real world is how controllable it is. Obviously, the OEM spring rates complement each other. While stopped, bouncing the car by one person F+R proves that the car really stays level as it rises and settles. Takes more than a few cycles to settle down but it does even with no shocks. While driving the car can turn and brake very well, if floaty. Just shows that GM used the different spring rates to also compensate for the 55/45 weight distribution. Same test on a 68 Charger with torsion bars F and leaf springs R gave the same effects. All types of springs do the same job, the same way, even in VE/VF utes. The op was not asking for anything unusual. I pointed out that only considering the rear ride height would likely produce a clumsy car. By taking into account the bounce frequency of his new rear springs he could ensure that the car would ride, handle and brake ideally.
His choosing a R spring with an identical spring rate as his OEM R spring but with a ride height that suited him would eliminate the BF issue.
In my US Impala example, oem GM used F+R springs with different rates but identical bounce frequency. Many with the same Impala like to install 750 lbs F springs for the added control. Which they give. BUT, they all complain about how clumsy the car feels in almost all driving. Even a 750 F spring with the same ride height as OEM, because the BF is altered by the spring rate. All of the above is the truth.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
It's easy with a car like a full size all coil spring US Impala to remove the shocks F+R and go for a ride. I have. No broken anything. First observation in the real world is how controllable it is. Obviously, the OEM spring rates complement each other. While stopped, bouncing the car by one person F+R proves that the car really stays level as it rises and settles. Takes more than a few cycles to settle down but it does even with no shocks. While driving the car can turn and brake very well, if floaty. Just shows that GM used the different spring rates to also compensate for the 55/45 weight distribution. Same test on a 68 Charger with torsion bars F and leaf springs R gave the same effects. All types of springs do the same job, the same way, even in VE/VF utes. The op was not asking for anything unusual. I pointed out that only considering the rear ride height would likely produce a clumsy car. By taking into account the bounce frequency of his new rear springs he could ensure that the car would ride, handle and brake ideally.
His choosing a R spring with an identical spring rate as his OEM R spring but with a ride height that suited him would eliminate the BF issue.
In my US Impala example, oem GM used F+R springs with different rates but identical bounce frequency. Many with the same Impala like to install 750 lbs F springs for the added control. Which they give. BUT, they all complain about how clumsy the car feels in almost all driving. Even a 750 F spring with the same ride height as OEM, because the BF is altered by the spring rate. All of the above is the truth.

Shocks control rebound...Without shocks, there is no control of rebound....The car just bounces and the knock on effect is broken axles....

Been there done that...Did it with a 1970 valiant...

You originally made a reference to a 1930's test.....Back then they had leaf springs, not coil springs in the rear

BTW, how do you know about our utes when you don't live here?

Reacher

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Caprice
Shocks control rebound...Without shocks, there is no control of rebound....The car just bounces and the knock on effect is broken axles....

Shocks control compression and rebound.

You originally made a reference to a 1930's test.....Back then they had leaf springs, not coil springs in the rear

If you watched the movie, both coil springs and leaf springs are used. Point being they do the same thing, just like torsion bars do.
ALL springs effect the bounce frequency of the chassis and it doesn't matter if you mix the types of springs, the spring rate and ride height effect just how well a car performs. Unbalance the BF and the car suffers.
BTW, the two places I now live and the many places I have lived, don't stop me from reading and knowing about your utes.

Reacher

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Caprice
Pretty sure suspension technology has improved a bit since 1938.....

Not too many VE/VF utes in the USA.
Suspension technology is not so different today compared with the 1930's. Spring rate, regardless of coil, leaf or torsion bar, still determines how the car performs. I don't claim the 118.5" ute wheelbase is better than anything else Holden ever built without good reasons. ALL the other WB's Holden ever built have vastly inferior WD, just because of the WB. One of the reasons Holden benchmarked the BMW's of 40 years ago was their WD.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
You are aware that you can't remove the coils from the shocks to run them seperate with the VE/VF Commodores don't you.

So all this stuff you are putting up is tripe

Reacher

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Caprice
You are aware that you can't remove the coils from the shocks to run them seperate with the VE/VF Commodores don't you.
Already answered for those who read.
It's easy with a car like a full size all coil spring US Impala to remove the shocks F+R and go for a ride. I have. No broken anything.
Are you contentious because I wrote that the Commodore is inferior in WD to Holdens longer wheelbase cars?

Reacher

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Caprice
Wrong
The point applies to all cars. Bounce frequency applies to all cars. Being able to test any platform by removing the shocks is applicable to all cars.
Even a VC Commodore.

Status
Not open for further replies.