Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vk commodore green wire came off, does anyone know where this goes?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
If it was EST 202 in a vk...usually had those problems from my mum's daily in 90's to several project cars...efi 202's were fine though but didn't matter everything copped a v8 conversion if I got near it lol.

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
Yes it has a speed sensor/magnet at the rear of the cylinder block that speaks to the EST module, which I have considered pulling to check, but not sure if this would prevent spark
Green wire = Coolant temp
Longer Green wire = A/C Compressor
Blue Wire = Oil Pressure

Correct the rear bell housing/block speed sensor triggers the coil to the distributor which relays the spark to plugs during cranking as part of the est.

If dodgy it won"t trigger coil to distributor, so no spark to plugs

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
When i pop the dizzy cap off the rotor has moved, but i haven't left the cap off and cranked engine to see if it really spins with cranking,, I will test this tomorrow. The wire to the coil makes something on the carb click,, just like when i turn the ignition on with the key, I hear a click then to, so maybe ignition switch is ok
Yes your distributor rotor has moved from being connected when you crank motor, but it had no spark coming from the coil which the EST module isn"t triggering.
Your ignition key is ok, its 1 of the sensors of the EST system, from memory there are maybe up to 3/4/5 and yes 1 is near/on manifold/carby.

The speed sensor is the culprit as its wired/link from module to ignition key to coil to distributor to spark plugs for it to start at crank

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
have 12v at the negative terminal of coil with test light and digital voltage reader
its coming thru the coil winding thats normal .

estcrap.jpg

it would be easier to pull the est fuse and distributor and install an electronic distributor from a blue motor or efi vk.

Last edited:

sire01TMK

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK 308
Ahh the old EST system. I miss it like a hole in the head! I got so frustrated with the sensors f@#king up and putting the engine into limp mode all the time I ripped it all out (motor and box included) and now has a 308 (soon to be 355) and TH350 in it's place. Best thing I ever did to the beast!! Rip all the EST cr@p outta there and put in a electronic dissy from a blue VH 202 and no more drama's :cool:

sire01TMK

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK 308
You will also need to change the coil to a hei unit ^^^

Ronwill

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore
Yes your distributor rotor has moved from being connected when you crank motor, but it had no spark coming from the coil which the EST module isn"t triggering.
Your ignition key is ok, its 1 of the sensors of the EST system, from memory there are maybe up to 3/4/5 and yes 1 is near/on manifold/carby.

The speed sensor is the culprit as its wired/link from module to ignition key to coil to distributor to spark plugs for it to start at crank
Tested the speed sensor at the back of motor /bell housing for resistance today and it reading 1, so I think the speed sensor is stuffed. Pulled it out and the magnet end is in good shape so it maybe the internal wiring of this sensor that is the issue as it’s critically important for the signal to the coil according to the Gregories book & responses. Now just have to source a speed sensor, bloody ridiculous prices on eBay if it turns out not to be the issue. Might have to do the VH HEI change over if the price isn’t right. I will keep updating the posts as this is a great resource for sure, thanks guys