Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vk commodore green wire came off, does anyone know where this goes?

Ronwill

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore
Still EST Dizzy
Is there a way to bypass the ignition switch on the steering column to send a signal to the coil to spark. I have tried a direct wire from battery to positive side of coil the cranking it with key but still no spark

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
sure the est fuse isnt blown? It wont run if the est crank sensor is rooted ? What about the coil pull the negitive off and slash it to earth and see if it makes any spark. The est test wire was light blue which shouldn't be connected to anything

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Is there a way to bypass the ignition switch on the steering column to send a signal to the coil to spark. I have tried a direct wire from battery to positive side of coil the cranking it with key but still no spark

If you have put a wire from the battery to the coil, you have sent power into the coil for it to spark.

Is the rotor actually spinning? The original cam gear was fibre and has a nasty habit of stripping, causing a no spark situation....

Check the centre of the dizzy cap to make sure it still has the little piece that allows the power to go to the rotor button...(Not sure of the name of it, but it directs the power to the rotor for the rotor to direct the spark to the lead)

There's 2 simple checks

Ronwill

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore
sure the est fuse isnt blown? It wont run if the est crank sensor is rooted ? What about the coil pull the negitive off and slash it to earth and see if it makes any spark. The est test wire was light blue which shouldn't be connected to anything
I got a spare EST module from ebay & put it in and still have the same issue and have 12v at the negative terminal of coil with test light and digital voltage reader,,, but a mate told me tonight to connect test light to negative and crank engine to see if the light flickers or stays constant on,, if it flickers apparently its a good sign

Ronwill

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore
If you have put a wire from the battery to the coil, you have sent power into the coil for it to spark.

Is the rotor actually spinning? The original cam gear was fibre and has a nasty habit of stripping, causing a no spark situation....

Check the centre of the dizzy cap to make sure it still has the little piece that allows the power to go to the rotor button...(Not sure of the name of it, but it directs the power to the rotor for the rotor to direct the spark to the lead)

There's 2 simple checks
When i pop the dizzy cap off the rotor has moved, but i haven't left the cap off and cranked engine to see if it really spins with cranking,, I will test this tomorrow. The wire to the coil makes something on the carb click,, just like when i turn the ignition on with the key, I hear a click then to, so maybe ignition switch is ok

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
If you can get your hands on a vk manual it will have wiring diagrams...fairly sure there was an EST section also had fault finding & iirc diagnostic mode.

Personally hated EST crap & those piss weak timing gears that would shatter on black 202's...we always changed over to the vh commodore HEI

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
I just had a quick look at a wiring diagram for the engine bay of a VK and the only dark green seems to come from the EST module...From the module it goes into a compressor of some sorts....
A/C

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
When i pop the dizzy cap off the rotor has moved, but i haven't left the cap off and cranked engine to see if it really spins with cranking,, I will test this tomorrow. The wire to the coil makes something on the carb click,, just like when i turn the ignition on with the key, I hear a click then to, so maybe ignition switch is ok

I have struck where cranking the car via the ignition switch, it looses power to the coil...

To test this, turn the ignition switch on and then crank it over by arcing the starter motor out..

So another test to try

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If you can get your hands on a vk manual it will have wiring diagrams...fairly sure there was an EST section also had fault finding & iirc diagnostic mode.

Personally hated EST crap & those piss weak timing gears that would shatter on Holden 6's..we always changed over to the vh commodore HEI

Corrected it for you..... :)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I also have 2 different manuals for 6cyl Commodores that cover the VK...Haynes and Max Ellery....So something else to consider:)