Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transitioning from a Commodore to an EV

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD
Tesla do trade ins, but at the time I ordered, I was told they don't do them with Novated Lease. I got an instant offer from Carsales, but ended up selling to an ex-Holden dealership.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
EVs are more and more entering my mind for next daily purchase. The emails from work around the offers on NL, the current tax benefits, and the low cost entry on some of these EVs hitting the market.
got a snapchat from a mate just last night, he works for a dealership and took an EV home overnight as a test run.

Did you test drive the Teslas before purchase? I think I heard there is some unique customer referral/test drive process for Tesla?
Otherwise might go jump into a BYD dealership and see if the budget end for EVs holds up.

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
EVs are more and more entering my mind for next daily purchase. The emails from work around the offers on NL, the current tax benefits, and the low cost entry on some of these EVs hitting the market.
got a snapchat from a mate just last night, he works for a dealership and took an EV home overnight as a test run.

Did you test drive the Teslas before purchase? I think I heard there is some unique customer referral/test drive process for Tesla?
Otherwise might go jump into a BYD dealership and see if the budget end for EVs holds up.
Yeah I test drove a second hand M3 late last year (they were asking 5k OVER the new price), then organised a test drive through Tesla after I ordered. Here in Adelaide at least, they give you a car for 30min and let you drive by yourself.

Yeah there is now a reinstated referral system, I'm more than happy to refer folks if that's allowable under the forum rules. I think the referrals give you points that can be used at superchargers or for Tesla merchandise.

Test drives can be booked via the Tesla website.

I've heard good and bad about the BYD, the fact that has the whole ADR issue with child anchors at launch, and the ongoing servicing really put me off.

FYI, with Tesla, there is NO scheduled services. Tyre rotation recommended every 12 months, should change the cabin air filter (can DIY) but that's it.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
Remember to look under the back at the frame and check for somewhere that you can clip clothespegs to hold the pieces of cardboard cut from cereal packets needed to flick against the spokes of the mag wheels so your EV sounds cool when you're driving it. ;) :D :p

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
BYD is that the brand that keeps catching fire in China?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I've heard good and bad about the BYD, the fact that has the whole ADR issue with child anchors at launch, and the ongoing servicing really put me off.
There was a Build Your Dreams at that car salon that I looked around, when I was Brisbane.
The interior made me smile, in a stifled laugh sort of way.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Am interested to continue to hear your experience with the EV as it slowly becomes a normality, although it appears reasonably common down here anyway. See what nuances you find with it and all that.
Got a charging station at work and often see vehicles on charge and have heard for some pool/fleet vehicles they may be on the way.
A Co-workers other half has a Tesla and he seems to like it and often raves on about it (although his Golf R Wagon is pretty sweet).
Another previous place one of the guys was all over them, and was a very early adopter of them.

Kind of always "contemplated" it, but the situations just never add up or made sense.
That and when I went in a few (4 or 5) years back just got completely shunned out of the shop (possibly judged due to having a WAU hat on at the time and being "profiled" as a no hoper) kind of put me off them.

Would still say the "no maintenance" is a bit of a fallacy and should be taken with a grain of salt.
Suspension, wheels, rotating components (bearings etc), condition monitoring (elec equip) and all that really should be taken into account.
While sure it may not be super common, and how most people nowadays don't understand preventative maintenance, it could go a long way to the product staying in top condition rather than being a throw away society which people have been brought up on.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Would still say the "no maintenance" is a bit of a fallacy and should be taken with a grain of salt.
Suspension, wheels, rotating components (bearings etc), condition monitoring (elec equip) and all that really should be taken into account.
While sure it may not be super common, and how most people nowadays don't understand preventative maintenance, it could go a long way to the product staying in top condition rather than being a throw away society which people have been brought up on.
With 'Regen braking', the brakes should last longer than the batteries.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Range doesn't bother us - our holiday house is ~50km away and we installed a 32A socket down there as well. 500km range is similar to the ZB - but a damn site cheaper to charge.

Average fill on the ZB is $80 - and probably for 3/4 tank.

Assuning the 60 kWh battery on the M3 is completely empty:
Charging on solar - forgoing $0.10/kWh FIT - $6 to charge
Charging using offpeak power - $0.25/kWh - $15 to charge
Charging using peak power - $0.40/kWh - $25 to charge

The Tesla UMC (which is no longer included with vehicles, I just scraped in to get one included) comes by default with a 10A and 15A tail. There is an aftermarket 32A which uses a 32A 3 pin or 32A 5 pin single phase socket for charging.

It cost me about $200 for the tail and $400 for the sparky to isntall the socket.

With the 32A tail, charging time from empty is ~ 8 hrs - ie overnight.

We could have probably gotten by with the 10A - but it's nearly 24hrs for a full charge - which is inconvenient.

Superchargers are MUCH faster.

Gratuitous car collection photo attached.
How many kilowatts of solar do you have? I’m getting 7.2kws of solar installed tomorrow with an 8.5kw inverter so a bit of headroom to upgrade.

I‘ll probably consider getting an EV at some point and hopefully I’ll already have sufficient solar installed to charge it without drawing grid power.

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
Congrats, enjoy the new car and finding out all the functionality it has.

Just keep an eye on the steering wheel!
Haha I showed my wife how to engage Auto Steer this evening and quoted you :)