Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EV battery/Li-ion battery recycling

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
There seems to be a lot of stories about EV batteries and their end of life use/life cycles. Lets put some facts to the stories.

Yes I realise that we don't have these facilities on our side of the world yet but this put to bed the stories that the major components of EV batteries can't be recycled and re-used.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
is that the same company that "recycled" all of the plastic bags

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I wonder if we have something similar on mainland Australia? Our work runs a recycling centre where we collect any type of battery ready to be sent off for recycling.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I wonder if we have something similar on mainland Australia? Our work runs a recycling centre where we collect any type of battery ready to be sent off for recycling.
Local Bunnings and Total Tools does the same thing.
The local scrap metal recycler pays for dead lead acid batteries. (and brass/copper!)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The place we run also takes regular AAA, AA, C and the likes as well.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
The place we run also takes regular AAA, AA, C and the likes as well.
Bunnings and Total Tools accept all batteries apart from car and motorcycle units.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Bunnings and Total Tools accept all batteries apart from car and motorcycle units.

This then begs the question if we have already have battery recycling somewhere, or if they ship them OS which seems pointless from an environmental perspective.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
No mention of the recycling capacity in that MSN article though a video within talks about subsidies and rights to label stuff “made in USA” which seems to be driving some investment… and of china’s grasp on the current recycling market…

And really, we can’t forget that just because stuff is collected we can’t assume it’s actually being recycled. We cant/won’t recycle tires and use the stuff to make roads down under… the stuff is just stored and periodically some big unexplained fire sorts things put until the next unexplained fire…

And sending stuff O/S for recycling doesn’t mean that it is actually recycled… After all the Mariana Trench can hold a lot of rubbish and there is no one patrolling our oceans to catch such polluters

Until we have iron clad systems that track stuff from mines to manufacturers to recyclers and punishes those who don’t follow the rules (real punishment, not the cost of doing business styled punishment) nothing will change and the environment will always come off second best…

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
This then begs the question if we have already have battery recycling somewhere, or if they ship them OS which seems pointless from an environmental perspective.
Car batteries are really easy to recycle if you only care about the lead and toss the plastic cases into landfill and the acids down the drain :rolleyes:

The fact caned tomatoes are shipped around the world rather than grown and canned locally (next to the market that consumes them) already means environment doesn’t matter, only $$ matter…

It’s just crazy to ship cans of tomatoes from Italy to Australia and probably from Australia to Italy but there is profit to be made :confused:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
No mention of the recycling capacity in that MSN article though a video within talks about subsidies and rights to label stuff “made in USA” which seems to be driving some investment… and of china’s grasp on the current recycling market…

And really, we can’t forget that just because stuff is collected we can’t assume it’s actually being recycled. We cant/won’t recycle tires and use the stuff to make roads down under… the stuff is just stored and periodically some big unexplained fire sorts things put until the next unexplained fire…

And sending stuff O/S for recycling doesn’t mean that it is actually recycled… After all the Mariana Trench can hold a lot of rubbish and there is no one patrolling our oceans to catch such polluters

Until we have iron clad systems that track stuff from mines to manufacturers to recyclers and punishes those who don’t follow the rules (real punishment, not the cost of doing business styled punishment) nothing will change and the environment will always come off second best…
Really? I read 18000 tons pa.

If you can't buy the lithium from China than recycling it really starts to make sense.