Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EV cars.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Well as this is a car forum, we discuss cars, I thought I might start this thread as this sort of stuff will only become more common as EV's more EV's are sold.

I also heard the other day that a Bosch engineer was killed, because they had the battery disconnected, but a guy turned the drive wheel, this made a 800v pulse from the motor, which was enough to kill this engineer.
EV's are a new thing and it's going to take time for all these little things to become known.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
also heard the other day that a Bosch engineer was killed, because they had the battery disconnected, but a guy turned the drive wheel, this made a 800v pulse from the motor, which was enough to kill this engineer.

If that did happen then the proper precautions obviously weren’t being followed. It’s well known that the motor is a generator as well so turning the wheel is not a wise idea.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Will we ever hear anything positive about EV's in this thread?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
If that did happen then the proper precautions obviously weren’t being followed. It’s well known that the motor is a generator as well so turning the wheel is not a wise idea.

It's a common practice with ICE cars to spin wheels, it's usually to check brake and suspension issues. Like I said this tech will take some getting used to.
But what mitigation process can you put in place? other than telling people not to spin the wheels? You can't really put a lock out tag on it.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Will we ever hear anything positive about EV's in this thread?

Yea why not. It's not a thread about EV's being a dumb idea, I like EV's they're fine with me, but it's a stupid solution to the current issues.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Seems weird to disconnect the battery unless for test purposes. Just need proper procedures and practices.

Or insulate/isolate open terminals to prevent said problem.

I used to assist work sparkies on high voltage stuff including live boards and I think the concept is fairly simple to not touch or get near conductors, live or otherwise unless it's been made safe.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Seems weird to disconnect the battery unless for test purposes. Just need proper procedures and practices.

Or insulate/isolate open terminals to prevent said problem.

I used to assist work sparkies on high voltage stuff including live boards and I think the concept is fairly simple to not touch or get near conductors, live or otherwise unless it's been made safe.

Yea but you think it is safe, as there shouldn't be any voltage, but one of your co-workers doesn't expect that spinning a wheel would generate enough current to make any power, then bam someone gets a shock.
Like re gen braking has a **** ton of force involved in it, I can't blame anyone for thinking that a human couldn't generate enough power to actually get the motor making power in re-gen mode.

VF Sleeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
I've just renovated my garage with a full electrical rewire including 3 phase 5 pin plug for 22 Kw charging and a 1 phase 15 amp plug for 7 kw. Just for future proofing.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yea but you think it is safe, as there shouldn't be any voltage, but one of your co-workers doesn't expect that spinning a wheel would generate enough current to make any power, then bam someone gets a shock.
Like re gen braking has a **** ton of force involved in it, I can't blame anyone for thinking that a human couldn't generate enough power to actually get the motor making power in re-gen mode.

Yeah I don't buy it.

If the generator is attached then it's deadly. Ignorance isn't a excuse.

Technicians working on EV's should know better.