Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thread Checkers

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I just use my everyday calipers for measuring the ‘boy threads’. Calipers don’t work so well on the girl threads though.

I suspect that if I purchase a set of those thread checkers (which I must admit do look good), I’ll probably find that I never have to use them! It‘s like having spare parts on hand - for some reason I never need to parts I have (but need the parts that I don’t have).

:)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Here are a couple of sets of taps and dies.....Not real expensive

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p...-set-metric-and-imperial-76-piece/379666.html

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/toolpro-toolpro-tap-and-die-set-imperial-24-piece/273687.html

I was fortunate enough that when my step dad passed on, he had 2 sets...Not sure how many piece (and can't be bothered at the moment to grab them out) and they were handed onto me......From memory they are about 30 years old, so made when tools were made to last

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Can you remove them from the wire?
Say you need to screw one into a hole in your engine to establish thread....

I usually use a thread pitch gauge like your last picture and then lay the bolt on a ruler to determine size and tpi.
Except the metric system, I don't know what to do with the metric system. I mostly just throw metric bolts out the door and retap the holes to standard. Lol

Just kidding
C8051822-7E6C-4AE7-A3D4-E4F4B27E5B28.jpeg

Went into this ok.