Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thank you Apple!

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Just a matter of attaching peripherals and having the right software.

In time my friend, in time.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
He wasn't being sarcastic, he was being a fan. That's extremely obvious to the uninvested viewer.

Wrong. Just wrong. He's fan sure, but of the technology. Not the device. As any person who understands the technology is.

The simplest and cheapest Netbook has more functionality than a smartphone. Fact.

Wrong again!

You cannot replace a computer with a smartphone with any sort of realistic productive results.

Of course you bloody well can!

How do you replace three 21" CAD displays with a 5" screen? How do you replace balanced TRS audio recording and processing with a pocket device?

I never said you could. But I also never said that everyone's job requires CAD.

How do you word process with any speed without a keyboard?

With some basic typing skills and an understanding of how to maximise the performance of the device. And autocorrect is brilliant! I can type at around 90wpm on a desktop keyboard and keep my accuracy above 95%. I can actually type FASTER on a smart phone with SwiftKey simply because the predictability is outstanding. Whole words become full sentences is seconds!

If any of this marketing crap was true, businesses would be replacing PCs with smart devices. Secretaries would be typing on their phones. Designers would be working outdoors. etc etc.

Give it up simpleton. Not everyone is the same. And I have never said smart devices apply to everyone or can be useful to everyone.

I entered this thread with a comment about how my organisation actually DID invest in smart tech to replace PCs. And it was a total and utter disaster.

They were pretty stupid then. Tip: Invest in some basic business analysis.

Smart devices are useful for emails, youtube, Facebook etc. They make passable cameras (unless you actually compare to a proper camera LOL). They can be fairly good music players. They cannot be used for real work that requires real computers with real peripherals.

Only better than DSLRs and point and shoots with decent optical zoom. The cameras in new smart phones are better than any basic point and shoot on the market. If you think they're only useful for emails, youtube and social media then you're fairly daft or just plain narrow minded. They absolutely can replace desktops. At least for smart people that know how to use them to their potential.

BushSSV

Stone chip collector
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SSV
you're fairly daft or just plain narrow minded. They absolutely can replace desktops. At least for smart people that know how to use them to their potential.

Wow man, resorting to ad hominem arguments already?

I'm not going to bother with this any more. Enjoy your toy fanboi.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Wow man, resorting to ad hominem arguments already?

I'm not going to bother with this any more. Enjoy your toy fanboi.

Fanboi? I've made it abundantly clear I'm anything but a fanboi lol! The fact you fail to comprehend that only further solidifies my points above. :D

BushSSV

Stone chip collector
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SSV
Fanboi is as fanboi does. Not as fanboi says LOL. The way you jump to the defence of these devices is borderline evangelistic.

Also, I wonder why you didn't insult Reaper for saying virtually the same thing as me? Is he too big a fish for you to bully?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Fanboi? I've made it abundantly clear that I'm a fanboi lol! The fact you fail to comprehend that only further solidifies my points above. :D

images

Fixed it for you :p

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Am I a fan of technology? Yes. Do I leverage it to the best of my ability? Yes. Do I use it to enhance both my personal and professional lives? Yes. Does this make me a fanboi of any particular product whether it's Android, iOS, MS, etc? Not at all.

I am jumping to the defence of no device. I am jumping to the defence of the technology.

Let me bottom line it... The technology is actually incredible when you think about it, and can be used as a very powerful tool in both our professional, and in our personal lives. FACT!

Anyone that disagrees with that, and they're entitled to their opinion, simply doesn't understand the technology for what it is.

Oh, and Reaper's point was almost exactly what he had already said, and I had already rebutted, earlier in the thread so I felt no need to respond. We've already expressed our semi-opposing opinions to each other. My intention isn't ever to insult anyone but call it like I see it. Big fish? Small fish? Fish fingers? I don't distinguish between them. And I'd certainly never bully anyone.

Fixed it for you :p

Intentionally mis-quoting me, other than being juvenile, "fixes" nothing and makes no difference to the facts. I despise fanbois and certainly never have been, and never will be one. FACT!

BushSSV

Stone chip collector
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SSV
I will agree that the technology has enormous potential. I just think that it isn't quite there yet (see mpower's point above).

If you don't intend to insult don't call people names? Cheers.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Remote access is my favourite.

Can control my desktop PC while im at work. Really handy when I want to have a show torrented before I get home.

While remote access is handy as I sometimes use it to send myself diagrams and schematics that I have forgotten to put in the cloud... For torrents on the go I tend to just use utorrent remote. I simply go to tpb, find my torrent, click it and android simply opens it in utorrent remote and my PC at home does the rest.

Edit... Mind you, I'm now trialling windows 10 and I often have connection issues with remote anything. But this could be a fail on my part or one of the many bugs that is still being ironed out.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
While remote access is handy as I sometimes use it to send myself diagrams and schematics that I have forgotten to put in the cloud... For torrents on the go I tend to just use utorrent remote. I simply go to tpb, find my torrent, click it and android simply opens it in utorrent remote and my PC at home does the rest.

Edit... Mind you, I'm now trialling windows 10 and I often have connection issues with remote anything. But this could be a fail on my part or one of the many bugs that is still being ironed out.

Since this thread has no resemblance to the starting topic I don't mind hi-jacking it.

Have you got any special way to remote turn on your PC? I downloaded a remote WOL app, which I believe just send a 'turn on' data packet. But when my PC has been off for a certain amount of time it won't work, if I have only recently turned it off it works fine.

Any solutions?