Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

T56 conversion, check engine, no start

JaneFitz

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 Vy SS 5.7
Yes, the key, BCM, and ECU are all coded to each other, if you just throw a random ECU in from another car with no linking (or if any of those three don't match the others) it's not going to work, but I would expect it to crank so you may have two problems there. You use a Tech2 to link them together, but you may need the original car's VIN. Envyous Customs may be able to reprogram it for you to remove the existing linking.

Is this just a Facebook market special? Is all the gear including the ECU from a VY?

If you can get a picture of the sticker on the ECU that would tell a lot.
I'll try and get a photo tomorrow,
it was from a wrecker in s.a and I had it shipped down to Tassie, full conversion is out of a vz,
On the dash it says it's in drive which I'm guessing that's why it's not starting, has check engine but no other codes,

Would it be easier to just put the old ecu back in it?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Not really, to the old ECU it's just going to look like the gearbox is missing because there's no automatic, and you'll probably still have this "drive" problem. The VZ ECU will also likely use a different security signal to the VY one, so there's some stuff that needs to be changed.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Also, I believe the VZ uses an electronic throttle, so you may be up the creek there too.

JaneFitz

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 Vy SS 5.7
Not really, to the old ECU it's just going to look like the gearbox is missing because there's no automatic, and you'll probably still have this "drive" problem. The VZ ECU will also likely use a different security signal to the VY one, so there's some stuff that needs to be changed.
Yeah that makes sense , thanks heaps for the help mate, might have a chat to the
Also, I believe the VZ uses an electronic throttle, so you may be up the creek there too.
Yeh that makes sense

Would the best bet be getting my auto ecu reflashed?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Yes, Envyous would probably be a good start or he might be able to point you in the right direction.

JaneFitz

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 Vy SS 5.7
Yes, Envyous would probably be a good start or he might be able to point you in the right direction.
Cheers mate I'll do that then, thanks for the replies ill let you know how I go

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
prob need clutch switch also as it wont start with out the clutch pushed in for safety in manuals

JaneFitz

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 Vy SS 5.7
prob need clutch switch also as it wont start with out the clutch pushed in for safety in manuals
I bridged the two plugs on the back of the cruise control on the brake pedal, I'm guessing that hard wires it in

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
prob wouldnt do that as the cruise may not stop when u put the brakes on, it should be a separate switch on the clutch pedal itself

JaneFitz

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 Vy SS 5.7
prob wouldnt do that as the cruise may not stop when u put the brakes on, it should be a separate switch on the clutch pedal itself
Ahh true, I will have to have another look tomorrow