Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

T56 conversion, check engine, no start

JaneFitz

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 Vy SS 5.7
Just did a manual conversion on my 2003 vy SS , 4l60e to a t56.

Have everything in ready to go, manual harness , ecu done, go to start check engine comes up, says the car is still in drive and will not start,

Tested to see if reverse lights came on when put in reverse and they didn't..
Have no idea where to go from here ..
Any help appreciated

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Sounds like there's still a neutral safety switch somewhere that needs to be bridged. Reverse lights are usually activated by a switch on the gearbox.

What do you mean by "ECU done"?

JaneFitz

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 Vy SS 5.7
Sounds like there's still a neutral safety switch somewhere that needs to be bridged.

Sorry worded a bit funny, I just meant that everything is put together so it should start,

I used all manual ecu, wiring harness do I still have to bridge the neutral safety switch, If so what does that look like/where is it located ?

JaneFitz

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 Vy SS 5.7
Sorry worded a bit funny, I just meant that everything is put together so it should start,

I used all manual ecu, wiring harness do I still have to bridge the neutral safety switch, If so what does that look like/where is it located ?
I was under the impression you didn't have to bridge if using manual ecu etc

JaneFitz

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 Vy SS 5.7
Sounds like there's still a neutral safety switch somewhere that needs to be bridged. Reverse lights are usually activated by a switch on the gearbox.

Sorry for all the replies, would this also cause a check engine to pop up or would that be another cause. I did chuck my code reader on however nothing came up.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I was under the impression you didn't have to bridge if using manual ecu etc
That's why I ask what you meant by "done ECU", is it a reflashed auto ECU, or a factory manual ECU that's been linked to your car?

JaneFitz

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 Vy SS 5.7
That's why I ask what you meant by "done ECU", is it a reflashed auto ECU, or a factory manual ECU that's been linked to your car?
I purchased a full manual conversion, and expected it to be a manual ecu

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I purchased a full manual conversion, and expected it to be a manual ecu
Expect and assume nothing unless it's from a company. Did you have it linked to the car with a Tech2?

JaneFitz

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 Vy SS 5.7
Expect and assume nothing unless it's from a company. Did you have it linked to the car with a Tech2?

No I haven't, I just bolted it all in and it won't start, do I need tech2.. sorry first time ever doing something like this

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
No I haven't, I just bolted it all in and it won't start, do I need tech2.. sorry first time ever doing something like this
Yes, the key, BCM, and ECU are all coded to each other, if you just throw a random ECU in from another car with no linking (or if any of those three don't match the others) it's not going to work, but I would expect it to crank so you may have two problems there. You use a Tech2 to link them together, but you may need the original car's VIN. Envyous Customs may be able to reprogram it for you to remove the existing linking.

Is this just a Facebook market special? Is all the gear including the ECU from a VY?

If you can get a picture of the sticker on the ECU that would tell a lot.