Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

my 2015 SSV redline Speedo error, got speeding ticket!

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
if its out then why is it out ? that is not normal for a VE speedo to read under the speed u are doing, they are usually 100 on speedo is ~97 actual down the road, need to get it checked properly to see where ur at
It’s illegal for the speedo to read over from the factory. ADR compliance requires the speedo be over optimistic on the speed so you don’t go over the speed limit.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
It’s illegal for the speedo to read over from the factory. ADR compliance requires the speedo be over optimistic on the speed so you don’t go over the speed limit.
yep we call it reading under (or reading slow) where the vehicle is showing under/slower then the actual speed which is illegal and rare for the VE to be that way without possibly an issue/modification causing it

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
yep we call it reading under (or reading slow) where the vehicle is showing under/slower then the actual speed which is illegal and rare for the VE to be that way without possibly an issue/modification causing it
What if the speedo reading is 100 kph. Is that over or under?

If you had gps, it would be reading 97 kph.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if ur speedo is reading 100kph and ur actual is 97 down the road thats about 3% fast which is good, u want the speedo to read faster then actual so u have a couple km spare, also as its a percentage error if ur spot on at 100kph then at 40kph ur prob under reading so could get done in a 40 zone if a cop was getting quotas so best to have about 3% faster at 100kph so the lower speeds are also faster,

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
if ur speedo is reading 100kph and ur actual is 97 down the road thats about 3% fast which is good, u want the speedo to read faster then actual so u have a couple km spare, also as its a percentage error if ur spot on at 100kph then at 40kph ur prob under reading so could get done in a 40 zone if a cop was getting quotas so best to have about 3% faster at 100kph so the lower speeds are also faster,
Thanks.

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
From factory the VEs read 3-4kph faster than you are actually doing mine was 4kph over so I got it recalibrated so now it reads either 1kph fast or spot on depending on speed. It really used to annoy me that it read so much faster.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
From factory the VEs read 3-4kph faster than you are actually doing mine was 4kph over so I got it recalibrated so now it reads either 1kph fast or spot on depending on speed. It really used to annoy me that it read so much faster.
The 3-4kph variance is still not that bad. I used to have a Honda CBR250R for the commute to work on clear weather days. Took me a little while to figure out why I was a mobile chicane when the speedo said I was doing the speed limit.

Honda in their infinite wisdom made the speedo out by the full 10% allowed by law. So when I was “doing 100kph” I was actually doing 90kph! What a stupid thing to do with a motorbike of all things, make the rider less safe by making them a mobile chicane in traffic!

Subarus are the same deal, that’s why you always see them going slow on the highway. The missus Subaru Tribeca reads out by 10% as well and I’ve noted that a lot of Subaru drivers go slow on the motorway. Most likely for that reason.

So sometimes it might not be the drivers at fault for going so slow in traffic it’s the bloody manufacturers making a speedo inaccurate on purpose!

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
My VC speedo is out....At 60 KPH road speed, the speedo reads 45 KPH....At 110 KPH road speed, my speedo reads 80 KPH.....

Been like that for years and doesn't bother me....Got a GPS which helps me keep to the limit with traffic.....If they want to carry on like morons because I'm under the speed limit, stiff bikkies

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
The 3-4kph variance is still not that bad. I used to have a Honda CBR250R for the commute to work on clear weather days. Took me a little while to figure out why I was a mobile chicane when the speedo said I was doing the speed limit.

Honda in their infinite wisdom made the speedo out by the full 10% allowed by law. So when I was “doing 100kph” I was actually doing 90kph! What a stupid thing to do with a motorbike of all things, make the rider less safe by making them a mobile chicane in traffic!

Subarus are the same deal, that’s why you always see them going slow on the highway. The missus Subaru Tribeca reads out by 10% as well and I’ve noted that a lot of Subaru drivers go slow on the motorway. Most likely for that reason.

So sometimes it might not be the drivers at fault for going so slow in traffic it’s the bloody manufacturers making a speedo inaccurate on purpose!
Mate had a very similar experience on an 87 CBR1000.
I hadn't had a m/cycle for about 15
years and it was on the cusp of the change over between mph and kph so the speedo had both.
I wrongly thought that it was kph
on the top in the larger numbers and mph smaller numbers on the bottom. I was wondering why I was having so much trouble with the tighter corners. It took me about half an hour to realize what was going on. Just as well that l didn't get pulled up for doing 100mph. Lol.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
we noticed about 2008 ish vehicles started to go about 10kph fast is the speedo so 100kph by speedo was about 90 down the road, since it was mostly 4wd's to account for much larger tires also if fitted in future possibly