Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

More Ground Clearance in a Ute?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Fark. I did it again.

Why did I even post that?
That’s no help at all.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
In my experience, taller springs (suspension lift) and/or body spacers gives you more clearance to install taller tires. Since the the 70 series tyre I installed is not any wider I should not have any clearnace problems between the struts and the tyre.

If you use the tyre calculator you will see a 215/70 is taller than a 215/65 or less

The 70 is 70% of 215 in height, where the 65 is 65%of the 215 with height.

Rubbing with height of the tyre is generally on the spring base....So raising the body or using springs still has the base of the strut in the same spot

Overall, glad they fit with no rubbing...

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Good excuse to correct speedo is shorter diff gears...3.45 or 3.7 should do the trick

hellomate29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
Ok huge UPDATE!

This morning I installed 215/70R15 Tyres on my VS Ute. THere are no rubbing issues at all. They look find and the wheel wells don't look "overstuffed". About the same amount of wheel well room as the neighbor's SUV. An agressive drive off and on road over big ruts/speed bumps (trying to make them rub)and no problems at all. Very Happy. The tires I installed are SUV tires. Goodyear Assurance Triple Max. They are on sale at TEMPE Tyres for $130 Installed each. Beaurepaires wanted $1100 for the exact same tire but they have a advertise "price matching". I sent them an email and they honored the advertisment and sold them at the same price.
Hey mate. Nice work!
How have those bigger tyres been going? I'm looking to do the same thing.
Did the bigger tyres make it make it really sluggish? Hows your fuel consumption?
Any chance you could take a photo to show how it looks?