Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

More Ground Clearance in a Ute?

AmericanGuyInAUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ute VS
Hey.... I need a tad more ground clearance in my Ute to get over dried up ruts in dirt roads and grassy fields without setting my vehicle on fire.

I installed the King springs (wow handles a MILLION times better) to raise the vehicle some and I now need new tires.

I currently have 215 60 15 Tyres. I was thinking of putting on 215 65 15 or even 215/70R15 ( they have actual all terrain tyres in this size).

Anyone know if these tyres will fit with the taller King springs?

Any pictures of VS Utes with slightly taller tyres?

THanks all!

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
The profile of your tyre is going to be limited by the spring seat position on the strut.
60 increase to 70 profile will increase the sidewall height by 20mm.
Test fit needed ?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Ive had 255/60/15 on 15x7 chasers with reasonably low springs...on stock diff top of sidewall was in lime with outside of wheelarch.

Ute is now split tubbed and eventually get 40mm shorter vl diff...sidewall will have 10mm maybe tad more clearance to control arm lip so also need Muscle Garage brace welded in if want to trim lip for more clearance.

Reckon 215/70/15 will be fine on 15x6 as that's also 27" tall and much narrower sidewall.

My ute has shite ton of mods but nobody picks it just looks like plain white ute on chasers that has been lowered.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Hey.... I need a tad more ground clearance in my Ute to get over dried up ruts in dirt roads and grassy fields without setting my vehicle on fire.

I installed the King springs (wow handles a MILLION times better) to raise the vehicle some and I now need new tires.

I currently have 215 60 15 Tyres. I was thinking of putting on 215 65 15 or even 215/70R15 ( they have actual all terrain tyres in this size).

THanks all!
If you get 16’s there are AT tyres that will fit.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I think you'll be fine fitting a 215/70X15 with clearance on the front spring base of the strut..

.EDIT..

I have a 215/65X15 on a 7X15 steel rim fitted on the front of a VH Commodore...I can check the clearance....Or if required,I can check on the front of my VY on the weekend for clearance.....VY struts are similar if not the same as a VS, in the spring base area...VH Commodore spring base is wider than later model commodores

So this might help somewhat with the decision

Spring height doesn't come into play with this, as the base of the strut where the spring fits is generally where it rubs

You can buy normal passenger tyres in that size, along with Highway and All Terrain patterns....Not sure about Mud terrains, but that's a bit of overkill....So choice is yours what you fit.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Fit up some Adventra front struts. Adventra rear springs and shocks.

225/70R16 AT’s

Look at adding spring spacers. Fulcrum do Superpro urethane spacers. Again, use Adventra as a refrence.

If you use Adventra struts, you might need to swap to slightly different swaybar links but they are cheap and take minutes to fit.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Just remember that going oversize in tyre height will throw your speedo out.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Can be adjusted fairly easily in the cluster.

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens

THanks all!
you should be right with 60/65 series sidewall but you will be scrapping strut bottom curved spring perch with any 70 series tyres.

also taller springs have nothing to do with fit of tyres

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
You said King Springs.
Did you also look consider the idea of the old "country pack" Suspension.

I'll find the pics, but as a comparison I used to and still can fit 2x Coke cans under the front bumper.
It was taller than standard suspension.

coke-canned-png.132705