Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

More Ground Clearance in a Ute?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
hmmmm...

Ok... so you have 255/60R15 Tyres on your Ute with it lowered .that 27 inches tall. The 215/70R15 Tyres would ne 26.9 inches tall and I have raising springs. If that worked ok for you then I should have no trouble at all. Thanks for that info, it very much helps me to make a decision!

Cheers!
That is on the back yes....front are stock size 15x6 205/60/15 but eventually get front runners & 26' tyre for sleeper drag look.

To do it on front you'd probably need aftermarket coilovers on the front to get more tyre clearance especially if still want decent suspension travel.

When first got my ute it still had country pack suspension & wheel gap to guard looked like you could fit your head in there lol.

Try some cheap 205/65/15 or 215/70/15 on the front to see if they clear.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
There is probably an easy 5-10mm height increase to gain if you are happy to pull apart your front struts. normally there is about 5-10mm of thread sticking out of the top.
iu

Measure the amount of extra thread and then fit a spacer under the strut top where the bottom dish washer is normally fitted. See
iu

AmericanGuyInAUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ute VS
you should be right with 60/65 series sidewall but you will be scrapping strut bottom curved spring perch with any 70 series tyres.

also taller springs have nothing to do with fit of tyres

In my experience, taller springs (suspension lift) and/or body spacers gives you more clearance to install taller tires. Since the the 70 series tyre I installed is not any wider I should not have any clearnace problems between the struts and the tyre.

AmericanGuyInAUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ute VS
There is probably an easy 5-10mm height increase to gain if you are happy to pull apart your front struts. normally there is about 5-10mm of thread sticking out of the top.
iu

Measure the amount of extra thread and then fit a spacer under the strut top where the bottom dish washer is normally fitted. See
iu
LOL!!! Oof I hope you installed new strut mounts!

AmericanGuyInAUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ute VS
Ok huge UPDATE!

This morning I installed 215/70R15 Tyres on my VS Ute. THere are no rubbing issues at all. They look find and the wheel wells don't look "overstuffed". About the same amount of wheel well room as the neighbor's SUV. An agressive drive off and on road over big ruts/speed bumps (trying to make them rub)and no problems at all. Very Happy. The tires I installed are SUV tires. Goodyear Assurance Triple Max. They are on sale at TEMPE Tyres for $130 Installed each. Beaurepaires wanted $1100 for the exact same tire but they have a advertise "price matching". I sent them an email and they honored the advertisment and sold them at the same price.

AmericanGuyInAUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ute VS
You said King Springs.
Did you also look consider the idea of the old "country pack" Suspension.

I'll find the pics, but as a comparison I used to and still can fit 2x Coke cans under the front bumper.
It was taller than standard suspension.

coke-canned-png.132705
"2 coke cans" I only have 2 measuring tapes. One tape reads in "inches" and the other tape read in "millimeters". Sometime I have to convert to metric. Millimeters = Freedoms Units divided by Bullets per Square Child.... not sure ....I don't Math Good.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Edit: I’m a bloody idiot. Disregard this post.

You can calibrate the speedo with the Vident i400au bidirectional scan tool or you can use “VZ Cluster Mod” software to recalibrate the speedo.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Nah, you need a speedo corrector box on a VS.