Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

It's Motorsport Baby!

Veewhyfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VeeWhy
Haven't seen some P76's in years.....Would have loved to been there, seeing I can see 2 of them

Yeah they were very cool. Such good condition. There was also the London to Sydney Monaro of all things. Super cool.

Really a great way to be on a race track and speeds you wish to do with a entire cast of odd balls. Couple of Super2 cars there, plenty of Prod Touring VX's etc.

There is a 6hr regularity at Philip Island later this year (August I think) grab some mates and get organised ;)

Last edited:

Veewhyfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VeeWhy
Behold! 15min of a commodore trying to overtake a Proton Persona. Will I go past a MGF or end up in the grass, Find out below!

Veewhyfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VeeWhy
Weeeeeeeeel my mates have gone and talked me into competing with them at the 6hr @ Philip Island at the end of July. Same sort of setup to the event, team of 6, sharing the track. The bloody commodore did so well I've rewarded it with a set of RE003's. Should give me less 60's cop show and, ah well, we'll see I suppose.

Also annoyingly for this event, Lap-sash seatbelts are not acceptable, I'm gong to have to bolt in a 4 point harness. Didn't really want to pull the rear interior out, but I think it's going to make sense to make a taxi / harness bar between the rear wheel arches for the belt to attach to. The OG rear seat belt points are going to be out of the acceptable angle (45 degree from head and 20 degree off centre) so bugger, out comes the interior. It also means a little more faffing when I get to the track but it won't be too bad.. will make it questionable to drive back to the hotel each evening however.. Anyway I'll pull it all out and have a look.

In the meantime I took it out to the Rob Roy Hill Climb as part of their Interclub thing with some mates from the Reno club. It was my first time here and I was keen to be faster then their Turbo Megane's, wasn't to be. I did beat the Clio so there is that at least :p And shout out to the other kid there in a VT whom was having a crack.

So what's the hill climb? well it's 20-30se up a hill;

Surprisingly tricky to nail, the off camber corners bluff you in to backing off so you don't bin it. Never managed a run keeping it flat as the day was cut short from an Open Wheeler headbutting a fence (he was ok).

Megane = 26.23
VeeWhy = 28.67
Clio = 28.68

Other results here; https://robroyhillclimb.com.au/results/2022-cc2-prov-v2.pdf

Suck it 2L Clio! :p Looking forward to another go, Reckon there is easily a 27, 26s in there,

If you haven't had a drive up there and you're local to Vic, worth a go, was good fun.

Veewhyfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VeeWhy
We’ll sheeeeeet had a free weekend to turn the welder on, and bam. One bar that should do the trick!

74D35767-5FE4-439B-9076-48C560AE648D.jpeg
2E1464C8-BD72-47AA-9CAA-67976C4FD858.jpeg
7AAD5654-5E10-4B20-8CBD-7EEDDA5B09EC.jpeg

Tube is 40mm square, 2mm thick, and I made triangle extensions, 50mm long for the eye bolts… after doing this now not sure I can get the required size nut/washer underneath, might grind them off and attack a triangle length, say 100mm as one solid item.

End plates are 5mm thick, 50 x 100 and welded round the 40mm tube. I’ll drill two holes via the wheel arch’s and it will attach with m8’s.

Just to paint it and re trim the back to make it look snazzy and it will be done.

Huzah.

Last edited:

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Watch it with a 4 point harness, they tend to submarine in a heavy front end, and unless 'all" the mounting points are spot on, when you tighten the shoulder straps, it pulls the lap strap over your hips where it then sits on your abdomen

I would say get a 5 or 6 point and fixed seat, but I won't because you dont have a roll cage

Who is running this event to regulate a 4 point harness over a 3 point in a street car without a roll cage????

Veewhyfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VeeWhy
Watch it with a 4 point harness, they tend to submarine in a heavy front end, and unless 'all" the mounting points are spot on, when you tighten the shoulder straps, it pulls the lap strap over your hips where it then sits on your abdomen

I would say get a 5 or 6 point and fixed seat, but I won't because you dont have a roll cage

Who is running this event to regulate a 4 point harness over a 3 point in a street car without a roll cage????
Yeah i thought that was odd also,

I’m getting it ready for the 6hr at Philip Island in July and they state 3 points are not acceptable. Even though it’s permitted as a club regularity and would be acceptable elsewhere.

https://www.6hourrelay.com.au/

Oh agree re roll cage / harness situation. Not really sensible without a cage, then you needs a hans, etc etc.

And yeah I’ve had a bit of experience with 4 points in other cars, you are correct in them generally ridding high. Not sure what this one will be like but we’ll see.

The seat I have for sits back well and I’ll be reusing the bottom right hand side mount for the belt, and a mount point directly onto the seat frame, next weekends job to test fit everything and see why it feels like.

Last edited:

Veewhyfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VeeWhy
Don't get Covid ya'll. It's dumb. Day three, can't smell or taste anything, exhausted, most things hurt. Stuff this.

Although, since I'm stuck at home, why not get another little job ticked of the list for the Bommodore. Namely some drift-o-recovery tags that this mob require. Honestly not a silly idea. will be handy if I send it into a ditch around Philip Island.

After taking the rear bar off, mounting front and rear tow straps, I'm done. like, that's as much strength I have today. Don't get the Covid.

bar.jpgboyracer.jpgtag.jpg

Also, this nugget is really growing on me. they don't look half bad, they really don't.

profile.jpg

The rear bar had to come off as I saw an opportunity to re purpose the central bar mounts for the tow strap. Thus, depending on the ditch I end up in, I can feed it via the opening or below to avoid ripping the rear bar off whilst being towed. Noice.

Oh I splurged on some ebay carpet to cover the mess I made, it's pretty much a monaro now.

monaro.jpg

I promise to go back and tidy up the wheel arches, but check out the colour match with the boot!

rear lux.jpg

That's right, I even reused a Vote 1 Green sign and trimmed the gap where the arm rest was. These scrutineers are going to think this was a factory option :p

I didn't like the harness bar I had mocked up, and the bolt in SAAS harness I bought was way to short to use. Soooo, I went and bought a proper 3" wide, 4 point from Revolution Racegear, and well now I'm going to use round tube and wrap the rear belts. So, some 35mm OD tube ~2.5mm thick, will be used now with the 5mm plate, which I will turn into a couple of right angles to mount in on top of the rear arches now, and not between. It will give me a little more height which is good, should look a little neater, and should be easy to install and remove.

If I'm feeling up to it I should get it done this week and it will be ready. Woo Hoo.

Reactions: Lex

Veewhyfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VeeWhy
Well a couple of sleeps left, and another jeeerb done.

TA DAAA!

works.jpg

That's right, had a day to myself and welded the tube. And it fit's

other side.jpg
one side.jpg

I mean, the welds are not the prettiest, but with another pass with the wire brush, some paint, it's gonna be great.

So excited I even remembered to check the orientation before welding so the brackets are in the same plane :p

bar.jpg

Also, happy to see heat on the other side of the bracket. According to the brief research.. although not a indicator or complete penetration, a very good sign that things are on the right track.

heated.jpg

The tube is 4mm, and the plates are 4.5mm, ye old little 10amp Unimig welder worked a treat.

Drill some holes, bolt bolt bolt, and done.

Now whats left, book an alighnment, might have them dump the gearbox and diff oil just because, wash it and go fang it.

Woo Hoo.

VF2R

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 Ute/ 2016 VF2 SS-V Redline
Love it mate..looks like a blast. It's making think about taking utey..my v6 daily to a track for a fat around