Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

It's Motorsport Baby!

Veewhyfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VeeWhy
Hi Commodore nerds!

I've bought a VY of a mate at work for $1000, in effort to tow my race car 5 years ago when my Volvo S40 Turbo was getting annoying. And, it's been the most satisfyingly boring, reliable, comfortable piece of transport I think I've ever owned.

20190615_212543.jpg

Would ya look at that.

Anyway as I was pretty confident this was the last VY on earth that didn't have some super lows in it,

20200619_190519.jpg

Ahhh, now it looks like all the others. :D

When I was a wee P plater, the cops used to get around in these things and well, they left an impression to a kid with only a handful of points left at any given time. But no ****, I'm in my mid 30's now, what the heck am I doing putting lowering springs in commodores :S

Anyway, a chance arose to enter a spot as part of the NSW Road Race's Club 6hr Regularity.

If you haven't been a dofus as part of an event like this, highly recommended. You will have a freekin ball. It's designed to get a load of mates together (usually teams of 6) and then you take it in turns being on the track during a 6hr "race" . I say race.... because as it's designed, you get about 15mins on track then you cool down for 40, 45 before you go again, so everyone just fangs it like animals, but heck. it's a freeking joy :D

Here is the stock registered daily driver $1000 commodore with 280 thousand km's enjoying a break after the event last year.

IMG_20210418_144135_3.jpg

I'm about to head to NSW to do it all again March 12-13th. The plan is to meet up with my Dad (he lives up further north) and we will take it in turns driving the pile of mush around in circles.

Oh, don't you have a race car I hear you say? well yes, and no, its on jack stands like all good project cars that are nearly rarely done. :S And no not a commodore, a '71 Renault of all things. Don't worry about it, I'm pissed at it at the moment.

Anyway I was honestly surprised how much fun I had in this thing, there is nothing quite like out breaking wosses in MX5's, having the ABS dance like a bronco, then lighting up a single wheel as you try to smoke them out of the corner hahah.

And it was super great to share this experience with my Dad. Like all boomers he used to fsk around with rally cars in the 60's and 70's, then he was just cruizing around the milk bars with chokes pulled out making it sound like you had a phat cam in your Dads then Morris Minor, then he had kids yarda yarda and never got a chance. He hadn't done anything like this before on a race track, had a dam ball.

Do this to your Dad too. ;)

One thing that did suck last time was getting tossed around in the stock seat, so there was a shitty Sparco in the garden shed, and thanks to some ebay seller (crank) he saved me the hassle of welding braces and tabs onto the stock seat base. So I have a "complete seat" I can quickly swap out when I get up there.

IMG_0461.jpg

Noice!

She's due for a service and bunch of bushes now anyway (all stock and wobbly underneath), so thanks to all you, well I've gone and got a polyurathane kit coming to replace just about everything, and you know, since I'm doing all that, would be a shame to put the stock sway bars back in. So again, thanks to all you before me a whiteline kit is coming too. Jesus there is some sh1t on this place but something that resonated with most of you was how much you enjoyed the stiffer front sway bar. I'm excited now too.

Finally, yeah brakes are due also (again, haven't replaced them after buying it 5yrs ago, talk about economy) so some slightly fancier slotted DBA's with $$ pads are en route also.

That should do it. it's a freeking daily after all either way.

If I have some cash left over I'll get some second hand Yoko's AO's or something, but again, once we dropped the PSI in the... actually I'm not sure what they are.. oh they are "Goodride, SA-07" hahaha, ah well there ya go, they were plenty comfortable for at least ~7, 8 laps of SMSP before they got proper sloppy, pretty sure we ran them at ~28psi, More credit to how well these stock sh1tboxes handle then if we had all that fun on a set of SAO's. Perhaps that also explains the one wheel skid show when ever we got near a MX5 :p

Anyway, next weekend I should have bushes, hopefully it's dry and It can swap em all out before dinners ready.

But a genuine thanks to all the ramblings here, it was great to read over you whom have done similar things, it really helped nail down what I wanted to do. Cheers!

Go do motorsport in your commodores everyone.

Last edited:

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Rock it hard brother

Noice work getting the old man in the seat doing laps

Respect

Reactions: Lex

Veewhyfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VeeWhy
We’ll a week to go and I only have a few odds and ends left to do.

last weekend I had the car on the lawn on a jack and was like, maaaaaan ain’t no way I’m going to change all these bushes and still drive to work on Monday. I found a local legend in a JAX franchise near my work in Bayswater and exchanged my savings for their experience.

Picked it up time for the weekend and yep, feels amazing. This is going to be a real treat.

So tomorrow; change oil and filters, top up any other fluids, repurpose the rear centre lapsash as I have decided I can bolt this into the bucket seat frame instead of taking apart the front belt, go buy a 13” Saas steering wheel so my Dad and I can pretend to be Grise in the VH Saas commodore, and think about where the GoPro is going to live.

Nearly there.

6F61AD3B-3A57-49C9-8890-D5E2567817E2.jpeg

Last edited:

Davemac

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SSV Redline & 2009 SS Sportswagon
last weekend I had the car on the lawn on a jack and was like, maaaaaan ain’t no way I’m going to change all these bushes and still drive to work on Monday. I found a local legend in a JAX franchise near my work in Bayswater and exchanged my savings for their experience.

Curious about what you paid for the bushes to be fitted? I know different locations and models, but I am considering the same to get all the bushes replaced. How long did they roughly take?

Veewhyfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VeeWhy
Not sure if I can give you an accurate answer.

I paid for 10 hours work which included fitting the front and rear sway bars, all the bushes (NK7 kit) along with a set of front rotors and pads, including flushing and bleeding the brakes.

“Shrugs”

Any mechanic surely would give you an idea before they started work :)

Last edited:

Veewhyfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VeeWhy
2C551E21-801A-410E-B931-7FCDB3046D63.jpeg

Har har!

Always wanted one of these Saaaaaaaas steering wheels. Really re living high school here :p Actually what does it look like next to a VH...

holden-commodore-vh-interior-2.jpg

Don't suppose they have changed all that much really.

Final test fit with everything in, will be ok. I actually removed the slider to get a few cm in head room, perhaps could go forward a smidge, I’ll tweak it with some padding.

Everything else is packed, will get a wash and a polish if it ever stops raining this week, otherwise yeeeeh haaaar.

Last edited:

Veewhyfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VeeWhy
Well that was a fooking hoot!

The recently added sway bars, bushes and brakes took 4 seconds of my time, I managed a 2m5s with these sh1t “good ride” tyres ! Haha!

I had hoped to splurge on some Nankangs but I ran outa cash, ah well next time.

Weekend was a hoot, and those DBA rotors and “extreme” pads, once they were hot I couldn’t get them to fade all weekend. I was breaking round the 100m on the enter turn turn 2 from ~160kmh every time without a worry.

The white line bars were good, feel like I set the front too strong but could encourage over-steer braking into the corner with a bit of steering angle, and when I managed to keep the autos revs up whilst exiting. All in all, with some nankangs the4se grocery carts would be fantastic. Suppose that's fair for just about every car.

Just going over the Gopro to see if anything is good.

Go racing everyone.

6CC56ECE-E9A6-4B86-8FB8-D92846F5780C.jpeg

Last edited:

Veewhyfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VeeWhy
Oh, compulsory photo pretending to have done a burnout by parking in front of someone’s skids :p

35DFC72B-7309-44FC-984B-953F01121EDB.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Lex

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Haven't seen some P76's in years.....Would have loved to been there, seeing I can see 2 of them