Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How To Sell A 1997 Commodore

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
I dont NEED to know, but did you get what you asked for it?
Last time I sold a car was after I bought my VX. That was 2002. A TR Magna. 11 year old with 300,000 k's on it.
Redbook value $2500. I took it to one of those carpark car sales places (you dont see them anymore) where you leave the car there for the public to check it out. There are staff at the site and buyers have to sign documentation as to damage etc while the test drive a car. I was asking $8000 (well, ity was in great condition if a little hight in k's). I left it there at 9AM on a Saturday. Got a call from the caryard at 10AM, saying a bloke wants to drive it, can I bring the keys. Done. Bloke takes it for a drive comes back. Offers me $7800. No haggle, job done.

HDTone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodores
Last time I sold a car was after I bought my VX. That was 2002. A TR Magna. 11 year old with 300,000 k's on it.
Redbook value $2500. I took it to one of those carpark car sales places (you dont see them anymore) where you leave the car there for the public to check it out. There are staff at the site and buyers have to sign documentation as to damage etc while the test drive a car. I was asking $8000 (well, ity was in great condition if a little hight in k's). I left it there at 9AM on a Saturday. Got a call from the caryard at 10AM, saying a bloke wants to drive it, can I bring the keys. Done. Bloke takes it for a drive comes back. Offers me $7800. No haggle, job done.

HDTone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodores
Them car park places I guess like a car boot sale sound like a good idea. I sold it for $4700 and was happy because I had a lot of folk wanting to mess about. Offers of swaps from a Jackaroo to a Territory. Folk offering low prices, others not turning up.....I was content.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Well that bloke got ripped off lol... Though maybe he was ahead of his time because people are trying to sell V6 Commodores with stuffed timing chains and a stack of kilometres for around $10k!

HDTone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodores
Well that bloke got ripped off lol... Though maybe he was ahead of his time because people are trying to sell V6 Commodores with stuffed timing chains and a stack of kilometres for around $10k!
I know mates have said you could E got 7k or 6k etc.

Thing is he's happy because we've messaged.

I think the price in my mind was fair....that's all I wanted.
Plus no more time wasters. Got a heap of texts and calls and reckon 95% were just bored or calling from the psych ward.

Happy and move on.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You might have got $7k and might not have. Plenty asking those prices and they don't sell. I think you get a fair price. IIRC it wasn't a perfect example and to get it to a perfect example costs a big chunk of change.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
I know mates have said you could E got 7k or 6k etc.

Thing is he's happy because we've messaged.

I think the price in my mind was fair....that's all I wanted.
Plus no more time wasters. Got a heap of texts and calls and reckon 95% were just bored or calling from the psych ward.

Happy and move on.
Yeah, selling cars (especially Commodores) attracts a lot of idiots... Selling a Commodore especially is terrible as the bogans expect brand new cars for not much money, and I've had similar experiences with selling these cars as you have...