Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help build a new computer!!

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Mine:
pentium 4 2.6
Asus P4800 Delux
1 gig kingmax ram
40gig seagate
160 gig seagate
MSI 7600 GT 512mb graphics card (real low end 512 card, got it for a 6 pack lol)
ASUS DVD burner

What i want...lol:

ASUS P5E3 PREMIUM/WIFI Motherboard
4-6gb of DDR3 Ram
250gb Seagate SATA HDD (run windows on)
x2 500gb Seagate SATA HDD (storage)
INTEL CORE 2 Q9450 QUAD CORE
ASUS Silent Knight CPU Cooler
ASUS Lightscribe DVD burner
ASUS EN9800GX2 TOP 1GB Graphics card
SILVERSTONE ZEUS 850watt Power Supply
Leadtek DVR3200H HD TV Tuner card

I like ASUS if you havent noticed lol

Haha yeah just abit of an ASUS fetish. I used them once, and I hate to say it, but they were great to use, easy setup, but i dont like them, nothing against them though.
That looks like its going to be a pretty sweet comp, just rip out the ASUS cooling gear and whack in ThermalTake :p
Im planning on building a new one soon, but im buying, all Peripheral and devices first. Like Monitor, Keyboard/Mouse web cam, modem etc. Then im thinking of a budget around 3 grand for a box, but probably wont spend that much anyway.
Depends on what you are using it for, from my research alot of what you have listed is very over the top and pointless:p

The more over the top a computer can be, is the longer it will stay current for lol. I always go all out when building my own computer, new technology comes out way to fast so its easiest to get the very very best and stay current for a little while.

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
Haha yeah just abit of an ASUS fetish. I used them once, and I hate to say it, but they were great to use, easy setup, but i dont like them, nothing against them though.
That looks like its going to be a pretty sweet comp, just rip out the ASUS cooling gear and whack in ThermalTake :p
Im planning on building a new one soon, but im buying, all Peripheral and devices first. Like Monitor, Keyboard/Mouse web cam, modem etc. Then im thinking of a budget around 3 grand for a box, but probably wont spend that much anyway.

The more over the top a computer can be, is the longer it will stay current for lol. I always go all out when building my own computer, new technology comes out way to fast so its easiest to get the very very best and stay current for a little while.

Yeah that’s what i did, bought everything around the actual brains first. What’s wrong with asus cooling gear? I found thermaltake to noisy. My cases OEM ones are quieter lol, so i still used them, all 7 of them lol

All up, all of that gear costs $3060, but $729 of that is the graphics card, which pretty much drop in price daily. So by the time i get around to buying it all the card might be $350-$400.

I thought 8 gig was overkill :p I'd rather spend an extra couple of hundred so the system will still be fast in 3-4 years time. Technology changes to fast to be able to keep up with it. You watch all that gear i just listed will be superseded by another model in 3-4 months...

What turned you off asus tom?

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
you'd need to run a 64 bit o/s if you were to run over 4gb of ram. There's been a lot of driver issues with 64 bit vista, my wireless card refuses to function in it at all :(

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Yeah that’s what i did, bought everything around the actual brains first. What’s wrong with asus cooling gear? I found thermaltake to noisy. My cases OEM ones are quieter lol, so i still used them, all 7 of them lol

All up, all of that gear costs $3060, but $729 of that is the graphics card, which pretty much drop in price daily. So by the time i get around to buying it all the card might be $350-$400.

I thought 8 gig was overkill :p I'd rather spend an extra couple of hundred so the system will still be fast in 3-4 years time. Technology changes to fast to be able to keep up with it. You watch all that gear i just listed will be superseded by another model in 3-4 months...

What turned you off asus tom?

Theirs probly nothing wrong with ASUS cooling gear, Ive just had a computer that would run hot, no matter how many fans, even tryed a CPU freezer thing, nothing would keep it cold. Im now running one Thermal take case fan and one CPU fan, and its never got hot since. Case fan can be noisy when it kicks into full speed but it likes 19db at full speed. CPU fan is dead quiet.

$3 grand, is pretty good for that system, id easily justify that lol. 8gb of RAM would be over kill now, because we all know the 64 bit systems are **** lol, but hopefully it gets more stable soon.

I agreee technology changes to quickly. When i was buying the gear for my computer the bloke said to me, "dont bother getting the 'latest' caus tomorow is monday and it will be out of date"... how true lol.

Nothing really turned me of ASUS, and it would always be my second choice for a motherboard. I really like Gigabyte, but dont ask me why, caus i've had mine over 3 years and still cant configure it properly, and had one DOA and killed one, but both were replaced under warranty very quickly. Last computer I built used ASUS and it was very easy to configure and setup, havent had a problem with it. I guess its just personel choice, and nothing else. Havent used any other ASUS gear, except Cd writers.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Putting the last piece in my case..........TV tuner card..........and don't know how it's going to all fit:p

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Question, due to the size of the heatsink and fan on my graphics card I can only use 1 of the PCI express slots. Should I run the sound card or the TV tuner card from this? I will have to run the other from a standard PCI slot.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
I would run the tv card PCI-E, the sound card I cant imagine being to demanding to warrant PCI-E in the first place. Also if you can put the sound card down the very bottom to let some air flow to the PCI-E, if its a cramped fit.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
I would run the tv card PCI-E, the sound card I cant imagine being to demanding to warrant PCI-E in the first place. Also if you can put the sound card down the very bottom to let some air flow to the PCI-E, if its a cramped fit.
Cheers, all sorted! The guts are now all finished!

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
building a pc for my mum's boss atm... needed to be futureproof and slightly games orientated for the kids. This is what I came up with, all from MSY as its 5 mins from my place:

intel q9300 $298
gigabyte ep35-ds3 $121
2gb kingston ddr2-800 $53
seagate sata 500gb $104
pioneer dvdrw 215bk $33
512mb 9800GTX Asus $349
Coolermaster Centurion CAC-T05 w/ 430w psu $108
Coolermaster thermal compound $7
total: $1073

Its crazy how good a PC you can get for a grand nowadays...