Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

black 202 missing and stalling every time i stop at traffic lights, intersections - round abouts

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
yeah, i wanted to fix the genuine as (VC Commodore) suggested, as i rather genuine parts than aftermarket, ive also read on other posts, to make sure to get the BOOSH brand module not poorly made aftermarket, i have found a new BOOSH one for around $80, the only thing is i know im going to lose the 2 little screws on top (on mine they are a flat head) as i have a disability with only one good hand but not so good for small screws like these, ive asked my mechanic to give me a quote to do it for me but he said to get a whole new dizzy instead, but lately it seems he rather replace whole things instead of fixing, last time i asked him to fix the centre bearing and bush in the tail shaft but told me to find a complete recon tail shaft, it's too hard for me to call around as the disability affects my speech as well (cerebral palsy)
Where are you located ?
as you listed your location as somewhere ?
Where I am always willing to help in some way.

Last edited:

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
Having flat head screws says it has been changed before.

Unfortunately, alot of mechanics these days will take an easy option, like swap a dizzy out and in, rather than the simple solution you are needing

Do you think using a magnetic screw driver will help prevent loosing the screws?

Anyways best of luck with it and hope it solves the problem
Fortunately a lot of mechanics will do what work you want done and not do anything not stated without your approval or else you will take your business else where :rolleyes:

griezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL-X Wagon
Where are you located ?
as you listed your location as somewhere ?
Where I am always willing to help in some way.
sorry don't like putting personal info online, in another state, a bit far from VIC, but thanks for your offer, I ended up biting the bullet and bought a new distributor from resto country formally known as (Kingswood country) as they had them on sale plus eBay had a further $20 off with a code earlier this afternoon, just hope it's a half decent one, as I've read on other posts not to get cheap n nasty ones, there are so many different brands out there, no idea what is good and what's not so good

dizzy 2.PNG

believe it or not big things like removing the whole dizzy are easier for me to do than small screws lol, I had the dizzy out four years ago when I painted the engine, did the timing by ear and ran well until now.

panited engine.jpg

Last edited:

griezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL-X Wagon
vk efi & blue motor have hei dissy's.

Tbh I think something you have done to it pressure washing is probably the cause.

Either vacuum leak at carby or intake.

Maybe even plug to dissy or coil or even engine loom plug has loose connection or wire...go over basics then just start guessing & you'll fluke it like most of us.

Had a weird issue with a vh commodore once that could not solve rationally...hit a big bump engine & sometimes engine would die but never replicate the issue.

Turned out the big engine loom connector had become brittle & large pink power wire would come loose...could not see it as behind head on a v8.

Took ages 7 several dummy spits to work out...old cars!!!!
thanks for your reply, but i did not pressure washed it, just a few cans of degreaser and warm soapy water and just a garden hose

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
sorry dont like putting personal info online, in Sydney area, abit far from VIC, but thanks for your offer, i ended up biting the bullet and bought a new distributor from resto country formally known as (kingswood country) as they had them on sale plus ebay had a further $20 off with a code earlier this afternoon, just hope it's a half decent one, as I've read on other posts not to get cheap n nasty ones, there are so many different brands out there, no idea what is good and what's not so good

View attachment 257001

believe it or not big things like removing the whole dizzy are easier for me to do than small screws lol, i had the dizzy out four years ago when i painted the engine, did the timing by ear and ran well until now
View attachment 257007
I understand not putting personal info online,
That’s were PM’s come into the equation,
Good luck with your repair.

I am sure Some reputable JC’s members in your area will be willing to help you if you asked,
since you mentioned you have a disability.

Last edited:

griezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL-X Wagon
just a quick question for when I receive the new distributor, if i get the old dizzy pointing to number one before i take it out, would that be the correct top dead center for the timing for compression stroke?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yes....

I have even taken notice where the rotor is pointing prior to taking the dizzy out and put a new dizzy back in, ensuring the rotor is in the same position, without moving the dizzy....This gets it close to correct....Enough for it to fire and from that get a timing light on it to set it correctly

griezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL-X Wagon
Yes....

I have even taken notice where the rotor is pointing prior to taking the dizzy out and put a new dizzy back in, ensuring the rotor is in the same position, without moving the dizzy....This gets it close to correct....Enough for it to fire and from that get a timing light on it to set it correctly
thanks mate, just wanted to double check before I did it, hope it goes all smoothly when I get it and install it, i have taken a few dizzy's out over the years to respray engines in the engine bay, always firstly turn the motor over by hand to get the dizzy finger pointing at number one mark then afterwards pull it out, and when finished painting I put the same dizzy back in the same way, but never exchanged a new one over, which why i wanted to double check so I didn't have to worry about if it's on the compression TDC or exhaust TDC, to work out the compression TDC, over the years I've pulled them out on FJs - Toranas - HZs - HQ'S to freshen up the engine paint
car parts 005.jpg

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If you happen to bugger it up putting the dizzy in, just take no 1 plug out and with something like a secured piece of paper hanging over the hole, you should be able to find no 1 compression stroke without too many dramas..

Having something like a piece of paper secured, when the air blows out of the cylinder on that stroke, you'll be able to see it move outwards, seeing you are working with one hand...(and no offense with your disability...Just making things easier for you with it...)

Just make sure it is secured properly so it doesn't get sucked in on the downward stroke

Love your paint work too...

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
If you happen to bugger it up putting the dizzy in, just take no 1 plug out and with something like a secured piece of paper hanging over the hole, you should be able to find no 1 compression stroke without too many dramas..

Having something like a piece of paper secured, when the air blows out of the cylinder on that stroke, you'll be able to see it move outwards, seeing you are working with one hand...(and no offense with your disability...Just making things easier for you with it...)

Just make sure it is secured properly so it doesn't get sucked in on the downward stroke

Love your paint work too...
I buggered it up once when I had to replace the dizzy gear in the work carpark. Wasn't watching and must have put the dizzy cap on backwards :) Next minute i tried to start it and BOOM! Huge backfire and the company nurse walking to her car 30 meters away ducked for cover. LoL good memories.