Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

black 202 missing and stalling every time i stop at traffic lights, intersections - round abouts

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Maybe fix what you have at the moment, and get it running first.

Then contemplate your options,
$300 for a Dizzy that will do exactly what you already have,
$300 spend better else where IMHO.

griezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL-X Wagon
Maybe fix what you have at the moment, and get it running first.

Then contemplate your options,
$300 for a Dizzy that will do exactly what you already have,
$300 spend better else where IMHO.
yeah, I wanted to fix the genuine as (VC Commodore) suggested, as I rather genuine parts than aftermarket, I've also read on other posts, to make sure to get the BOOSH brand module not poorly made aftermarket, I have found a new BOOSH one for around $80, the only thing is I know I'm going to lose the 2 little screws on top (on mine they are a flat head) as I have a disability with only one good hand but not so good for small screws like these, I've asked my mechanic to give me a quote to do it for me but he said to get a whole new dizzy instead, but lately it seems he rather replace whole things instead of fixing, last time I asked him to fix the centre bearing and bush in the tail shaft but told me to find a complete recon tail shaft, it's too hard for me to call around as the disability affects my speech as well (cerebral palsy)

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I’m going to say something controversial.
The 202 is a beautiful engine.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
every orginal 6 cyclinder he-1 distrubtor Ive seen in the last 5 years the mechanical advance was well worn . If you want to drive old cars you eirther have a lot of money and fix everything properly or you fix it yourself . Theres a fair chance the shaft will want balencing after the centre bearing is changed hence why the mechanic doesn't want to do it ,it will take hours and he'll make no money out of that job.
I’m going to say something controversial.
The 202 is a beautiful engine.
It was my oldmans favourite engine he once spent halve a year finding a manual 6 cyclinder vc to buy I could never work out why he didn't buy a 253 everytime he drove mine he commented it had more gutts than his the fuel bill was about the same. The 202 blue motor was a guto slug that drank fuel was my memory of them I had 2 of them.
I think olemate has a vacuum leak. Id spray wd40 or some sort of spray over the manifold to see if the idle picks up.

griezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL-X Wagon
You have the blue motor dizzy...When you look at the 2 dizzies I posted, the bottom one is the black motor one and is commonly replaced with the blue motor one...You can tell my the rectangular box hanging off the side of the dizzy that it is a blue motor one

In that box is the module that fails...The black motor dizzy doesn't have that rectangular box
yeah sorry, I thought the bottom one on your post was a points one, didn't realized it was the VK one, thought the blue black were the same until now that I've been searching for info.

Last edited:

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
the black efi motor uses the same he=1 distributor. the wire is on the idle stop solenoid on the carby with +12 volt supplying it when the key is on?

Last edited:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
vk efi & blue motor have hei dissy's.

Tbh I think something you have done to it pressure washing is probably the cause.

Either vacuum leak at carby or intake.

Maybe even plug to dissy or coil or even engine loom plug has loose connection or wire...go over basics then just start guessing & you'll fluke it like most of us.

Had a weird issue with a vh commodore once that could not solve rationally...hit a big bump engine & sometimes engine would die but never replicate the issue.

Turned out the big engine loom connector had become brittle & large pink power wire would come loose...could not see it as behind head on a v8.

Took ages 7 several dummy spits to work out...old cars!!!!

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Had an 85 model VK with a black carbed 3.3 that had the same style dizzy fitted as the one pictured

1693991608142.png

It had a piece bolted to the back of the head that triggered the dizzy through a hole in the bellhousing.

That piece shite the biscuit in my VK, so I chucked that dizzy over my shoulder and put the other style in....

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
yeah, i wanted to fix the genuine as (VC Commodore) suggested, as i rather genuine parts than aftermarket, ive also read on other posts, to make sure to get the BOOSH brand module not poorly made aftermarket, i have found a new BOOSH one for around $80, the only thing is i know im going to lose the 2 little screws on top (on mine they are a flat head) as i have a disability with only one good hand but not so good for small screws like these, ive asked my mechanic to give me a quote to do it for me but he said to get a whole new dizzy instead, but lately it seems he rather replace whole things instead of fixing, last time i asked him to fix the centre bearing and bush in the tail shaft but told me to find a complete recon tail shaft, it's too hard for me to call around as the disability affects my speech as well (cerebral palsy)

Having flat head screws says it has been changed before.

Unfortunately, alot of mechanics these days will take an easy option, like swap a dizzy out and in, rather than the simple solution you are needing

Do you think using a magnetic screw driver will help prevent loosing the screws?

Anyways best of luck with it and hope it solves the problem