Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

black 202 missing and stalling every time i stop at traffic lights, intersections - round abouts

griezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL-X Wagon
ive washed my engine bay over a week ago, and since then it hard to start and when it does start its missing, and stalls every time i have to come to a full stop,

there is no water whatsoever in the dizzy cap, its bone dry, i blew it out 3 times since (didn't have any water in it to start with) sanded the finger.

ive washed the engine bay a thousand times before, never had problems starting before, just started doing this in the last 3 times I cleaned the engine bay in the last 3 months, first two times it didn't want to start straight away but afterwards no problems, but this last time it been really hard to start, only starts with start you bastard down the carbie, i even put a plastic bag over the air filter while cleaning this last time as i have a open element filter, thought maybe some water got into the carbie the first two times it started playing up,

can someone figure it out, or is it just happening as a consequence and could be something completely unrelated, cheers in advance

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
1693817533897.png

1693817566412.png

Which distributer do you have? Top or bottom one

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If it's the top one, I'd suspect the module that is inside the rectangular piece off the side the the main body of the dizzy....When they get wet and they do, they cause all sorts of problems....

griezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL-X Wagon
yeah the top one, electric dizzy

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Replace this module and see what happens...I do know from experience, they cause all sorts of problems when they start failing.....Everything from no start to failing to idle to coughing and farting when running...I've had 3 fail in the last 10 years...One was because it got wet when I degreased the motor

1693818389149.png

griezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL-X Wagon
thanks, it's doing everything you have mentioned. i have had the car for 9 years so probably time for a replacement. how hard are they to replace? or its better just to get a complete new dizzy

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Easy peezey.....Undo the 2 phillips head screws and the top comes off...From there, take 1 wire off at a time (well I do) and put it on the new module....

Make sure you put plenty of the supplied grease on the base of the module where it sits...

Note, make sure you push the connections on fully, as there isn't alot of clearance between the top of the wire and the lid....Failure to do so causes smoke...Ask how I found out...

You can leave the dizzy in situ as well....Just disconnect the 2 wires that go to the coil from the dizzy

griezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL-X Wagon
thanks, another stupid question, ive just read the "difference between blue and black 202 dizzys" above in the VB - VK section, it says they are different, so how do i tell which one i have, as it's a black VK engine in a VH which should be blue, and to even confuse people more the black engine is painted red lol, an old picture below from when i painted it

IMG_2155.jpg

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
You have the blue motor dizzy...When you look at the 2 dizzies I posted, the bottom one is the black motor one and is commonly replaced with the blue motor one...You can tell my the rectangular box hanging off the side of the dizzy that it is a blue motor one

In that box is the module that fails...The black motor dizzy doesn't have that rectangular box

Forcedvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV XU8, FORD TERRORIST
You may have water stuck in where the float is in the carby. Open up the cover where the float is and drain the fuel out.