Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Why Supercars tweaked the Camaro, not the Mustang in parity search

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
The good old days when you could identify with what was racing are long gone. Camaro vs mustang, who gives a ****.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Lol.

Another case of be careful what you wish for.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Be good if they would televise the 12 hour race. Probably more interesting than the two car Supercars series seeing as neither car is Australian anymore.
They did all day, Ch 9 (I think ,can't remember)
It was interesting, not exciting due to not many cars, and they tended to just show the leaders following each other. There was a Mazda 3 looking car that seemed to get lapped regularly.

Veewhyfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VeeWhy
Always going to be tweeks as they strive for parity, but at this point just make it one make? Control the chassis, driveline and make it about the racing?

It's not as if there are many years left selling v8 sedans or coupes... .. ..

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
I watched some of the race yesterday. I think this is the end of V8 Supercars for me. Unless things dramatically change and admittedly some of this may be because of the track, I just found it boring.
Feels very different even after the ZB shape (which I don’t really count as a Commodore anyway) vs Mustang of the last few years which I did still enjoy. I didn’t think it would change my opinion so much but now it’s just not V8 Supercars anymore to me.
Poor commentators trying to sell it seemed very forced also, and yes I do get that that is their job!
I suspect a large following would still be keen but maybe only for the fact of nostalgia/tradition?
Will give it a shot at some more tracks, but I don’t think it’s gonna sway me.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I spent Friday and yesterday at the corner of Wharf Rd and Watt St.
Not going today, and never intended to. There will too many spectators / crowd today.
I have been a motor racing fan since before the time of some young bloke with a blue Holden engined A30.
Now, something is missing with the whole thing.
I just can't feel any preference, unlike the 'olden' days, for a particular driver or team. There is no emotional connection, and trying to identify with a coupe that is not available for the Australian market, and a Ford coupe that is impractical for everyday use (can't see **** out of it), is a step too far from the COTF cars, which were not Falcons and Commodores anyway.
Hype, razzamatazz, concerts, and merchandising may keep it alive for the younger generation of fans, but the tribal following will be gone.

I was also a bit disappointed that Red Bull won ........... again.
New cars, parity should have predicted that any competent mid-field driver could win, but it seems the same old, same old results may continue.
Good luck to Red Bull, but ..................... :oops:

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
The cars haven't been anything close to their production counterparts for the better part of 30 years, short of a bodyshell. I don't quite get why people draw the 'patriotic' line right here. That's not why I watch them, they are crazy powered, rear wheel drive v8's, no TC, no ABS, escapees from an insane asylum behind the wheel, on some pretty awesome tracks, with rubbing is racing as the motto. There's nothing quite like it

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Nostalgia :)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride