Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Where have all the Commodores gone?

BottFodder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega II
Almost finished a trip from the Blue Mountains up to Brisbane/GC for 5 nights and I've seen may be 6 Commodores the whole way. I've seen just 2 on the Highway and one was in a parking lot. It's like they have evaporated. My VE Omega is a great long distance car. Quiet, long wheelbase, totally predictable handling, efficient (8.2/100) including coming back via the New England Hwy. So much better than a hard riding, jiggly suspension SUV or Ute.

The only Commodore sedan I've seen on the highway was a seen better days VT. It's got me beat.

Honestly, I've seen more Teslas than Commodores of any series at all.

FYI, I also watched the Odo tick over 395,000K. yesterday.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
You are not the only one to notice that.
Have a look in your local supermarket carpark, or just watch the passing parade. What used to be Falcodores is now double cab utes and SUVs.

As to where have they gone ......... to the wreckers.
Even a small bingle becomes an economic write-off, with no chance of the damaged vehicle being sold and repaired due to current laws. :(

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
A lot of them are in the dunger yard rooted after 300k's do you want to rebuild half a car?
If the body and interia is rough they arent worth much and people don't want to spend the money on them.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Going the way of the Dodo unfortunately, SS Commodores have been replaced by a Ford Mustangs and Dodge Rams and run of the mill commodores with a Hilux. GM haven't really unveiled a replacement for the Commodore and I expect they won't until their new fleet of electric vehicles hit the market.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Definitely becoming a rare beast on the roads, sadly and as a driver of a sedan I hate all these large SUV's and double cab utes, they ruin visibility and most are driven by hoons, especially the Ranger utes with big tyres and light bars fitted.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
jiggly suspension SUV or Ute.
You've clearly not driven any SUV other than a 30 year old Landcruiser etc.

Modern SUV's are 10x more comfortable and have a much better ride than a VE Omega.

My other halfs Kia Sorento (which is a specced up 7 seat SUV, woodgrain, leather etc) is 10x better on the road than my VE Ute. It soaks up the bumps like no tomorrow, 6.1L/100km on the highway, tows my car trailer with ease.

Pretty much any SUV on the market today would out handle and be better equipped than a VE. They aren't built on 4x4/truck chassis like the days of old, they are all running the same kind of monocoque chassis as your average sedan and usually are pretty well sorted in the suspension department.

I love my commodores, I'll always have a shed full of them. But I really hate the aussie pride mentality of shitting on something because it's not a Commodore/Australian made without the facts. Just because we all grew up with the roads being 100% Holden or Ford doesn't mean that in 2022 those cars are better.

Go drive some decent SUV's and you won't want to get back in your omega I assure you.

The SUV movement isn't going away, so it's not worth fighting, this is the new normal.

Last edited:

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
You've clearly not driven any SUV other than a 30 year old Landcruiser etc.

Modern SUV's are 10x more comfortable and have a much better ride than a VE Omega.

My other halfs Kia Sorento (which is a specced up 7 seat SUV, woodgrain, leather etc) is 10x better on the road than my VE Ute. It soaks up the bumps like no tomorrow, 6.1L/100km on the highway, tows my car trailer with ease.

Pretty much any SUV on the market today would out handle and be better equipped than a VE. They aren't built on 4x4/truck chassis like the days of old, they are all running the same kind of unibody chassis as your average sedan and usually are pretty well sorted in the suspension department.

I love my commodores, I'll always have a shed full of them. But I really hate the aussie pride mentality of shitting on something because it's not a Commodore without the facts. Just because we all grew up with the roads being 100% Holden or Ford doesn't mean that in 2022 those cars are better.

Go drive some decent SUV's and you won't want to get back in your omega I assure you.

The SUV movement isn't going away, so it's not worth fighting, this is the new normal.
There are SUVs (Sorento as you say) and there are Utes (like the ranger/hilux). Those still have cart springs on so would not handle that well.

An estate can do everything a SUV can do, and have better fuel economy, and better handling. All they don't have is the out of my way presence.
If everyone who bought a softroader got in the equivalent hatch/estate then emissions would improve and more cars would fit on the road/carparks.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)

I am a builder/electrician and drive an extra cab deisel Hilux cab chassis with a lift off canopy chockers with tools. Upgraded to 600kg constant load springs and it pulls like no tomorrow in sports mode and rides great on sealed and unsealed roads. You would be surprised how comfortable it is even for a base level crew cab

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I am a builder/electrician and drive an extra cab deisel Hilux cab chassis with a lift off canopy chockers with tools. Upgraded to 600kg constant load springs and it pulls like no tomorrow in sports mode and rides great on sealed and unsealed roads. You would be surprised how comfortable it is even for a base level crew cab
Yeah I agree, I've driven a few current gen Rangers and Hiluxes that drive just as nice as my VE Ute.

Gone are the days of bone shattering suspension. Dual cab utes these days are family cars rather than dedicated work horses. About 50% of the people that buy them are families and not tradies.

The build quality and interiors etc had to be up to scratch for normal commuting duties not just hauling tools to site.

My old D22 Navara was bone shattering, you drove over a pebble and your head would hit the roof but these days they are just as comfortable as any other car on the road.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Large vehicles like SUV's should soak up bumps better than lighter sedans, it all has to do with sprung/un-sprung weight ratio's, it's the same reason why stretch limo's ride much better than the sedans they are based upon and why it's very hard to get little cars to ride well on rough roads.

Good to see it used for as intended but no doubt you carry a decent amount of weight in tools? Problem is, most don't and a vehicle that is designed to carry heavy loads unladen handle like crap.