Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What does everyone think the future is for us holden lovers in this "electric" age NZ is in?

El_mackerel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute 5.0 s1
Iv always wondered whats going on in their minds when they design these electric cars, I dunno about everyone else but I’d happily buy one & drive round in it if it looked good, instead of the weird as lookin ones they tryna sell us

El_mackerel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute 5.0 s1
And if you could get an electric engine that you could swap into your existing petrol car I reckon that’d be pretty sweet. I’d seriously consider it when I eventually drive my v8 into the ground, if it was like doing a normal engine upgrade/swap where you keep all the existing trans etc and the batteries could fit somewhere

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
And if you could get an electric engine that you could swap into your existing petrol car I reckon that’d be pretty sweet. I’d seriously consider it when I eventually drive my v8 into the ground, if it was like doing a normal engine upgrade/swap where you keep all the existing trans etc and the batteries could fit somewhere
That is how it works.
I've seen of a guy swapping a small cars electric m into his old series Land rover. Fitted motor to stock trans via an adapter plate (just like any motor swap).
Alot of electric vehicles are single geared though.

On another note, a couple of months back I took out a full electric Harley-Davidson. Honestly the coolest and most fun bike I have ever ridden.
I recommend trying a performance EV before completely writing them off.

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 383 Harrop enhanced
Ev's will never feel better than a petrol motor imo...
EV's will be better (over the long term) when young people have no idea about petrol HP rumble and feel.
I guess its like comparing cassette tapes vs records vs cd's vs dvd's then mp3 etc or even TV resolution..
In 20 years time every car will do a 0 to 100 in 2-4 seconds and it will be very linear in output...you will barely feel the difference between models...it will probably be a self driving car directed by one of Elon Musks Satellites...its all good but it wont have the street rumble of a petrol car that is fun to drive.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6

You mean like this - https://www.thedrive.com/news/37354...ke-electric-drivetrain-swaps-easier-than-ever

And then there was this - https://media.chevrolet.com/media/u.../Pages/news/us/en/2019/nov/sema/1104-e10.html

001-chevy-gm-connect-and-cruise-e10-1962-c10-electric-classic-truck.jpg

AAJTJgt.img

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon

bowtieboy56

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss
no way will i be sucked into the " buy a electric car bs"
a change of government will hopefully fix that :rolleyes:

Becthebogan

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
Electric cars have thier place for sure, but what is going to happen to the culture of Motorsport and the art of skilled engineers and mechanics designing and working motors to increase performance?! I am all for being environmentally friendly but we don't need to dumb it down to no fun at all.

Brett (Merf) Murphy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Ute 3.8
All we have to do is run on Hydroxy. Brown's-Gas, Hydrogen. HHO. Just like CGN. (remember that?) Make it at home with an electrolyzer, and then...Now...Here's the tricky bit. Put it into CNG (BBQ) Gas cylinders, (I don't know how to do that) and...hey presto...Very cheap gas.
By product? Happy drivers, H2O and a little heat.
The big car manufacturers are still working towards Hydrogen...Electric just can't be sustainable.