Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What Cat to buy VX 3.8L

Swiper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
Currently on stock cats with 2.5inch catback with redback mufflers, wanting to buy a cat but really dont know what im looking for. Just want a little extra power but most of all making it sound tough. Looked at pacemaker ones but thought Id ask before spending $700. Do I get second hand ones? If so where would I get those from?

Cheers

Swiper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
Currently on stock cats with 2.5inch catback with redback mufflers, wanting to buy a cat but really dont know what im looking for. Just want a little extra power but most of all making it sound tough. Looked at pacemaker ones but thought Id ask before spending $700. Do I get second hand ones? If so where would I get those from?

Cheers

Im also having trouble finding my cat haha, I thought I saw it but I can't quite tell if its a cat or resonator. There is only one but it is divided into 2 pipes. I didn't put the exhaust on the car so I dont really know.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Stock cats are fine, unless they're stuffed and rattling.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Upgrading the cat will do two thirds of nothing on a V6 unless you have done some serious work to the engine. Also trying to get a V6 sound tough, there is only one way, you need to add two more cylinders.

Swiper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
C
Upgrading the cat will do two thirds of nothing on a V6 unless you have done some serious work to the engine. Also trying to get a V6 sound tough, there is only one way, you need to add two more cylinders.

Classic get a v8 post, thanks mate

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
C

Classic get a v8 post, thanks mate
Yep, but what would you rather I say, get a 100 cel cat because you will gain 60hp and it's going to sound bad arse? Or can't you handle the truth? Given the question and your response. I think it's best you spend $300 on an aftermarket cat and then realise the disappointment for yourself...... I told you the reality in my initial response, up to you now what you choose to do with it. ;)

Swiper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
Yep, but what would you rather I say, get a 100 cel cat because you will gain 60hp and it's going to sound bad arse? Or can't you handle the truth? Given the question and your response. I think it's best you spend $300 on an aftermarket cat and then realise the disappointment for yourself...... I told you the reality in my initial response, up to you now what you choose to do with it. ;)

Hmm yes ill get a v8 on my ps, thanks for the help but not needed xx

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
To put it nicely then, don't waste your money, because an aftermarket cat will do neither. A search on here will have at least 200 responses to your question. Next time do a search.

Swiper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
To put it nicely then, don't waste your money, because an aftermarket cat will do neither. A search on here will have at least 200 responses to your question. Next time do a search.

See thats a reply people need, not just oh yeah get a V8. Kinda disrespectful and not helpful

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L

Cheers
The cats don’t really make any difference to the sound of the car. If you’ve already put a cat back on it that is about as much as you can do sound wise. If your going to spend money on the exhaust system you would be better off with extractors but you probably can’t do that on your Ps.