Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Glaze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
So the Ute decided to die randomly with no warning or anything just dead… after towing it home I noticed spark was the issue. After replacing few spare DFI plates and coils it turns out the plug has one corroded pin.

I have seen patch looms and don’t mind soldering a used plug but it’s only one pin that is corroded so would rather fix that and keep most of it original. Does anyone know the exact size pin for the plug? cheers

(the pic looks exactly like my plug same pin corroded as well seems common)

Attachments

• IMG_2028.jpeg
    IMG_2028.jpeg
    32 KB · Views: 30

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
From PCMHacking they suggest eficonnection.com.... metripack 150.2 female 22-20 AWG...part number 100-00343.
Looks like the one, I used that image to check which way the terminals came out of the plug.

Glaze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
From PCMHacking they suggest eficonnection.com.... metripack 150.2 female 22-20 AWG...part number 100-00343.
Looks like the one, I used that image to check which way the terminals came out of the plug.
How did you depin from the plug?

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
I bought some de-pinning tools but couldn't seem to get the pin out.
By that stage I had the car running again so didn't bother going any further with it.
I should add that I didn't have a burnt pin,it was more to be able to swap the pins/wires if I needed to.
Dunno if you have Upullit over there (or pick-a-part?) but I got a spare connector and 30cm of wires for a couple of bucks.
The pins come out from the front of the plug.

Glaze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
I bought some de-pinning tools but couldn't seem to get the pin out.
By that stage I had the car running again so didn't bother going any further with it.
I should add that I didn't have a burnt pin,it was more to be able to swap the pins/wires if I needed to.
Dunno if you have Upullit over there (or pick-a-part?) but I got a spare connector and 30cm of wires for a couple of bucks.
The pins come out from the front of the plug.
So you never repaired the plug? What did you do to get the car running?

Since the DFI plug has so many wires tight together in the harness, Is it better to solder or crimp and heat shrink each wire? (Planning to fit a used plug I bought so might try depin it if not then attach new plug to harness)

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
The fault was having the wires to the connector bent round in such an angle. I ended up stripping the insulation back from the loom about 200mm and took the plastic cover off.
I replaced the CAS first but that didn't help,put a spare DFI on but the problem was still there.
After I did 'eased' the dogleg on the harness stripped it back and took the cover off I've had no more problems.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
So you never repaired the plug? What did you do to get the car running?

Since the DFI plug has so many wires tight together in the harness, Is it better to solder or crimp and heat shrink each wire? (Planning to fit a used plug I bought so might try depin it if not then attach new plug to harness)
Take a pic first, before taking apart. Don't want to reassemble wrong, as in mis match on the pin alignments.

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
In regard to crimping/soldering, the original pins have survived and worked for 30 odd years being crimped so I'd say crimping would be enough.
If you go to the extent of heat shrinking each wire you're going to have to de-pin the lot.
If you go that far, you might just as well cut the lot off and solder a good connector and wires back in.
I straightened out most of the wires and separated them and made more of a gradual bend than the sharp dogleg that was originally there. I'll try and get a photo later.
If you want I'll grab a connector and wires next time I'm up Upullit.
(Probably tomorrow lol )IMG_0974.JPG

Last edited:

Glaze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
In regard to crimping/soldering, the original pins have survived and worked for 30 odd years being crimped so I'd say crimping would be enough.
If you go to the extent of heat shrinking each wire you're going to have to de-pin the lot.
If you go that far, you might just as well cut the lot off and solder a good connector and wires back in.
I straightened out most of the wires and separated them and made more of a gradual bend than the sharp dogleg that was originally there. I'll try and get a photo later.
If you want I'll grab a connector and wires next time I'm up Upullit.
(Probably tomorrow lol )View attachment 268047
My issue would be the burnt pin though, so I would need to remove it from the plug housing. The wires aren’t kinked but I will see when I take the insulation off. If I can depin from the connecter plug I can cut and crimp together the new wire with the better condition pin.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
My issue would be the burnt pin though, so I would need to remove it from the plug housing. The wires aren’t kinked but I will see when I take the insulation off. If I can depin from the connecter plug I can cut and crimp together the new wire with the better condition pin.
Go to the wreckers, find your model (or any ecotec from vs - vy). Now you"ve got a ginny pig, pull it apart (take pics first).
Now you know how.
So go home & fit your parts & test. Not hard.