Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY LS1 swap trans harness question

Gosling1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore Series 1
Hi all, looking for some advice about an engine/trans swap I am doing to an XJ6 Series 3 Jaguar.

The engine is a VY LS1. Trans is a 4L60E.

I have just purchased a complete VY ECU/wiring harness combo, to fit the LS1. The issue is simply this - the VY auto harness has the big rectangular grey plug which I believe plugs into the 6-speed auto computer? Can I use this ECU and wiring harness combo with the 4L60E trans? Is it just a matter of re-flashing the ECU or do I have to get a 4-speed auto harness instead of the 6-speed?

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
VY never had a 6 speed auto. That has to be a separate conversion, to which there is the holy grail of info in the drivetrain section relating to converting AWD Commodore from 4L65e to 6L80e. It has every link I could find on the subject.

VY had the 4L60e or 4L65e.

The auto loom is part of the engine harness.

Manual will be a manual harness with features for clutch and associated sensors.

Gosling1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore Series 1
VY never had a 6 speed auto. That has to be a separate conversion, to which there is the holy grail of info in the drivetrain section relating to converting AWD Commodore from 4L65e to 6L80e. It has every link I could find on the subject.

VY had the 4L60e or 4L65e.

The auto loom is part of the engine harness.

Manual will be a manual harness with features for clutch and associated sensors.

OK thanks, that does help. Here is a pic of the 3 components on the wiring harness down at the transmission end...... the big round plug has a corresponding socket in the 4L60E trans - its the other 2 plugs that I am not sure about. A small 2-pin plug (reverse lights possibly) - and the other large grey rectangular plug. If you could help ID these 2 plugs, that would be a big help :)

Attachments

• auto 001.png
    auto 001.png
    640 KB · Views: 37

Gosling1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore Series 1
Correct on the 2 pin plug.
Large grey rectangular plug goes to the pcm (ecu).
thanks for the confirmation on the reverse light plug. Have also been advised that the large rectangular grey plug is for the inhibitor switch on the trans? The wiring section attached to that plug is only short and looks like it needs to be attached to the transmission or close to it?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
inhibitor switch on the trans
The inhibitor switch & the reverse switch is the same switch on the v6 4L60 trans.

I'am assuming its the same on a v8 4L60 trans.

I'd forgotten. You're post reminded me. Sorry.

Gosling1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore Series 1
The inhibitor switch & the reverse switch is the same switch on the v6 4L60 trans.

I'am assuming its the same on a v8 4L60 trans.

I'd forgotten. You're post reminded me. Sorry.
All good, I appreciate any genuine help and advice about this stuff. One of the sources I found on this forum took me to Dirty South Race Engineering - and a detailed pic of a Gen 3 harness and associated plugs. This 12-pin transmission plug that I am looking to identify, is referred to as a Range switch - contains the reverse light, park neutral position ( lockout switch I guess?) and Range wiring (??)

the small 2-pin plug seems to be a Vehicle Speed Sensor, according to the diagram on Dirty South page?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
All good, I appreciate any genuine help and advice about this stuff. One of the sources I found on this forum took me to Dirty South Race Engineering - and a detailed pic of a Gen 3 harness and associated plugs. This 12-pin transmission plug that I am looking to identify, is referred to as a Range switch - contains the reverse light, park neutral position ( lockout switch I guess?) and Range wiring (??)

the small 2-pin plug seems to be a Vehicle Speed Sensor, according to the diagram on Dirty South page?
Can link to the source please?
Disregard. I looked them up.

Here's a link to the vt - vz workshop manual.

Gosling1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore Series 1