Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V8 EFI in Opel Monza

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
Thanks i,ll drop by as soon its on my schedual:
I am in Aus for 5 weeks and i will arrive and leave in Melb,my plans are to go NSW to see the owner of the Brock Monza and have a look at his other Monza where he is putting a V8 EFI engine in from a VN,hopefully he is doing the wiring than,bacuse he just got back from the body shop where they weld a complete rust free front on the car (everything furter than the windscreen was off the car and replaced by Commodore VB parts) and he is builing the car up again and after that a complete repaint is on the program.

Than head to Shepparton to see some farmers that i met in previous holidays (3 jears back) and hope they are still there because of drought and i wanne stay there for a few days.

And i wanne cross the Nullarbor to drive a bit around in WA,than head back to Vic to see you and than pull the engine out of the VR.

I really have no idea how the V8 EFI electronic department works,how many versions of computers are ther:
VN-VP manual and auto gearbox
VR-VS manual and auto gearbox

Makes it 4 diffent kinds a looms and computers right?

At one time i think:getting rid of the 4L60E box and get a TH700 and 5 minutes later i think:
SHIFTWORKS - 4L60E Tail Housing Kits

The conversion kit cost me 400$ US=280€ex shipping and tax wichs is not a funny extra cost but i can handle it.

So i might stay with the 4L60E,because if the trannie served me right in Aus,i know atleast what i got and the 4L60E boxes suppose to be stronger than the TH700 ones.

if i need to exchange the 4L60 here to a TH700 i would lose money on it and i never know what i get back unless i buy back a rebuild trannie witch would cost more than a complete V8 Holden EFI shipped in would cost.

But Greenfoam i,ll make contact as soon as i am in Aus,i hope you power the Holden VR V8EFI a bit up.

If you look at the pistons you see that the have have these low compression bowls in them witch aint good for performance...
Those pistons shut get out as soon possible but i am not a millionair,and a changed memcal doesnt cost the world,so thats the first thing to happen.

Please send you adres and phone number to my email adress witch is:
[email protected]

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I guess you are in Australia by now :), how's the VR looking?

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
Haha Jason you drove it yourself,the engine is out now,well technical its still in but we didnt have a engine crane,the gearbox is already out and the engine wil get out next weekend.

I thought ihad a problem with the startermotor moving to the otherside but its not a major problem i just drill 2 news holes and tap treath in that and use a chev or whatever V8 startermotor,now my biggest problem is:

What do i need of the wiring,the engine loom is in one piece with the cars loom and not a stand alone loom,like i am used too and thought that it would be.

I cut everything off after the fuse and relais box,and in the interiour there is a connector a bit above the engine computer in the interiour,do need that part of the loom to that is connected with the engine loom???

Can anybody please tell me what i need of the VR loom to get the engine running in another car??
Or does anybody have a wiring schedual or a manual how to wire it up,there must be 1000 of people that put a 304 EFI in a older car than a VN,so there must be some people that know what to do and what to need.

I hope anybody can help me with the wiring.....

(Jason after the memcal is reprogrammed its 100% better than before and it was a bit better on fuel but the extra power is deffinalty worth it )

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
You need all the engine bay loom untill where it connects to the ecu and whatever goes to the gearbox. The extra wires going into the ecu that aren't part of the engine or gearbox loom should be just the ones you need to wire into your car so you should be able to chop those off. Well you might as well take that diagnostic plug from under the dash

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
wiring fuel injection - GMH-Torana

I believe this wil solve my wiring problem,i took everything i needed to get it running again in Europe.

I hope i can help others with this link that face the same wiring problems as i am going to do.
Buying a loom is the Castlemain rod shop for $$$ is always another option if i cant get it running.

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
Today the 304 and 4L60E box arrived with a cpu with the vats turned off.
And the rest that i need for the conversion arrived,radiator-K-frame-V8 VB tacho-Y-pipe of the exhaust-fuse/relay box.

And i started taking all of the engine i dont need:
Aircon pomp...(Monza dont have aircon)
Loom for the alternator+startmotor
As i use my own 90ah Monza alternator if it fits and thats probaly yes,and i make the relays and fuses myself,the wiring as far i know from scheduals isnt that hard..

But i have a few questions..
Where the hell do all the vacuum hoses on the intake manifold go too,there are 2 on the trottle body and a some on the rear of the manifold??
Where does the (probaly vacuum) hose on top of the "bellhouse" of the 4L60E box come on?

What steal/material are the exhaust manifolds made off can u weld them???
I need to get the get the exhaust manifolds getting changed as i move the startermotor to the other side of the block...Now just need to find a startermotor that fits probaly a chevy 305 one.

Probaly i have some more questions but this it it for now.

Who can and will help me out?????????

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
sorry i am totally unfamiliar with the 304 engine so i dont have a clue about the hoses. you should really be asking these q's in the V8 section further down the main page. those boys in there will fix you up :)

if you dont mind my asking, how much $$$ was it to get all that stuff over to you?

keep the updates comin :)

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
Okies i ask that quistion in the V8 section...

The cost where in $ around 550$ for the shipping from Melbourne to Rotterdam and around 1500$ i needed to pay for the shipping from Rotterdam to my place 150km more south because of all kind a stupid taxes and bullshit...

And there are heap more cost coming toward me:
Diffent model startmotor that i can place on the otherside of the block to make clearance for the steering rack
Have to let my radiator changed by a company so that the inlet and outles pipes go the the diffent side
Need to buy a tailpiece with speedo cable option for the 4L60E box
Custom made accerator cable and and and and........

Haydz

Fasten your seatbelts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE LS1 T56
I really love that you've kept at it mate and not just one of theese drop ins that come onto the site and say i wanna put this in here how do i do it? then never come back

youll have both vacumm hoses going to the carbon cannister on a v8 they follow along the top radiator hose and to the carbon cannister. which sits next to the battery.

the hose on top of the gearbox is merely a breather and doesnt connect to anything. only to allow the air to escape should the trans fluid become airated.

im really keen to see progress pics of this. like where you cut. what you fabricated. how you made it work. all the interesting bits.

if you have anymore questions ill try answer them for you.

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
Well i will start with the real transplant in a few months:jan/feb as its winter here and i can do really much that,as we grow roses here (dad and I) en wenn the soil is frozen i can really do much outside....So time to spend a few weeks in the barn.

But i already did something:
I took a Mercedes E-class steering rack (2th hand 300$) and changed it so that i fits the Opel struts,i just need to weld the brackets to hold it to the K-frame.

I took one of those because they looked most on the Holden ones i saw on ebay,hehe and the best thing is its also a ZF witch made the recircling ball system in the Monza too 30 jears back...and it has the same splines and axel diameter as my axel from the steer to the steering box i have now,so i gues a Holden intermedia shaft from a Commo...VB-VN?? shut fit 1:1 if its the correct length.

But one thing i havent looked at really and that was the startermotor...my idea was:take a chev 350 starter drill new holes in the block bolt on the other side and get some treath in it and done...but the wing at the end of block where the starter is bolted on,is 2cm shorter on the other side (where i wanne put the startermotor...So that a bit of a problem because i can only drill one hole,I have to figger out something.
That starter really really have to move to the otherside,as there is no way i can leave it on the otherside,its not as easy as i thought..Maybe i weld a bolt to the block with some treath on it and than screw a mutter against it that clamps the startermotor or something like that.
And if the starter is on the other side another problem shows up,the exhaust manifolds have the wrong shape,they shut be on the opposide sides...

Then come the 4L60E box witch has no exit for a speedo cable,so i have to order a tailhouse in the USA with some speedo cable and VSS...400usa$ or 400$ ex shipping ex import tax..

My VR radiator is 10cm wider than the Monza one the core is the same,so i take the VR sides off the VR radiator and let them put a new thick core that fits the Monza,its all GM so my own a bit smaller cooling fan fits the V8 waterpum pulley.

The Yoke from my 4-speed Aisin wagner automatic box witch was used in the later Monza,s fits the 4L60E box and both are exact 80cm from measured from top of the bellhouse to tailhousing..So probaly my 4-speed Opel tailshaft fits...trottlebody cable and speedocable and oilcooler lines and powersteerings lines shut be all custom made...
But i really wanne get the VR 304 running in the Monza.