Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V8 EFI in Opel Monza

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
Yeah i am going to hook up with Greenfoam,he shut change the cpu that it runs in any car and i need a reprogrammed chip,for mroe power.
I want a daily engine that last long,and has decent power.

Finding Holden parts here sucks,if something like a relay of waterpump or gasket break down it would of cost atleast 1,5 week before the part is here,and that why i wanne keep it pretty much stock,so that it last the longest.

What plans for the shell for the shell i have:none so far my mate would take of what he might need for his VK and the rest will end up at the wreckers i gues...

That VR has not much options only:airbags and ABS.

It has a normal interiour and live axel.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The most elegant and easiest conversion as far as getting the speedo to work easily is going to be use a VN loom, VN ecu and a T700 gearbox on your VR motor (all the VN-VS motors are the same). I think you should aim for that :). The only reason the VR auto loom and ecu are more complex is to run the Auto box. I think you are rigth about the K frame, that should bolt straight into your car. I would just ship the entire VR back and drive that :)

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
Haha ship the complete car is
1 exensive on shipping cost.
2 cost heap heaps of paperwork and probaly a fortune to get it on the roads,because the vehicle was never sold in Holland and it need a complete test of safety and bla bla bla and i need diffent headlights,and the worst of all i need to start paying tax and a lot because it not older than 25 jears and because it runs on LPG.(tax system here sucks,exept cars older than 25 dont pay 0.0 tax)
3 a complete car has more parts that can break down,and VR parts you dont find here.

But i will get a VN loom and computer and will drop by so you can change that chip,if you dont mind.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
These might be of interest:

Attachments

• HDTMonza001 - a.jpg
    HDTMonza001 - a.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 2,479
  • HDTMonza002 - a.jpg
    HDTMonza002 - a.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 809
  • HDTMonza003 - a.jpg
    HDTMonza003 - a.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 785
  • HDTMonza004 - a.jpg
    HDTMonza004 - a.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 894
  • HDTMonza005 - a.jpg
    HDTMonza005 - a.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 870
  • HDTMonza006 - a.jpg
    HDTMonza006 - a.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,225

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
and the rest:

Attachments

• HDTMonza011 - a.jpg
    HDTMonza011 - a.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 646
  • HDTMonza010 - a.jpg
    HDTMonza010 - a.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 1,158
  • HDTMonza009 - a.jpg
    HDTMonza009 - a.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 784
  • HDTMonza008 - a.jpg
    HDTMonza008 - a.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 726
  • HDTMonza007 - a.jpg
    HDTMonza007 - a.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 786
  • HDTMonza012 - a.jpg
    HDTMonza012 - a.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 2,595

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
I'm not convinced that wiring a 4L60E (VR Commodore) would be very much harder than the TH700 (VN-VP Commodore). Connection into the Monza wiring won't be any different and the trans harness is integral with the ECM/PCM harness (same sensors used). One of the local (Australian) companies eg. Castlemaine Rod Shop - but there are others - that provide kits for engine swapping may be able to help with a cable drive speedo output/adaptor for the 4L60E that maintains the ECM/PCM speed signal.

Connecting the speedometer may be easier with the TH700 - which doesn't use a speedometer drive cable either in Australian cars. (VN-VP have a Hall effect speed sensor on the trans. and the speed sensor output signal is run through the speedometer instrument. The speedometer reduces the frequency of the signal (/10) which then goes to the ECM.) Speedometer cable output from TH700 is available but not from cars sold in Australia => USA. And you lose the signal for the ECM with the cable drive only. The gears are colour coded for different speedometer drive ratios.

One vehicle that did use the VN/VP ECM, 304 V8 and cable drive speedometer was the '88 VL Walkinshaw Group A Commodore. They have a BW T5 with a cable drive speedometer and the ECM speed sensor signal derived from an optical pick up on the back of the speedometer instrument, driven by the cable. Local versions of the Opel Ascona (J-car, Camira in Australia), '86-'88 used a similar set up (with the same ECM). It's possible that the Camira sensor might be adapted to the Monza instrument to give the speed signal to the ECM.

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
As long as i have this:
ivclqs.jpg

I can screw this one on the speedo cable drive:
30n9eo4.jpg

And screw my speedo cable on that.

I used 2 of those VSS sensors above each other,on my other Monza,one for the digital dashbord that has 6 impulses and the other has 8 impulses for the automatic gearbox to shift at the right moments,works perfect.(gearbox is from a later model car,so i had to be creative..

My brothers cars in the pics a few posts above has a 24V valve 3lite with a manual 5 speed gearbox and the computer that controls the spark and injection needs that signal too,to adjust the spark time at certain rpms for more power,but it not really relevant for the power output,some people tested it on the dyno with and without the vss connected for the cars engine mangements and it made a diffence of max 4KW.

I can get those sensors in:6 8 10 16 pulses.

What more than the speedo needes a impulse signal on a VN-VP??
The box is mechanical...
The engine management system???
Lockup??

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yeah the lock up and it uses speed to go into and out of idle mode (but this also works from Throttle position), as far as my memory tells me the VN is 10 pulse too

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
Greenfoam can you also change the memcal from the VN cpu that it brings more power?

I am not going to try to get the VR loom working..
I run it in the car in Aus,and that it,no more for the VR loom.

I really dont like electronic in the cars,exept the simple injection systems i have i my cars,those are simplere fixt than a carby..

I,ll get me a TH700 with a speedo cable setup here in Holland and a 10 impuls vss sensor and run the show with a VN loom.

How much extra KW and torque do those memcals bring on a 100% stock engine:
no extractors no other cam no bigger valves just 100% stock????

Last edited:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Greenfoam can you also change the memcal from the VN cpu that it brings more power?

I am not going to try to get the VR loom working..
I run it in the car in Aus,and that it,no more for the VR loom.

I really dont like electronic in the cars,exept the simple injection systems i have i my cars,those are simplere fixt than a carby..

I,ll get me a TH700 with a speedo cable setup here in Holland and a 10 impuls vss sensor and run the show with a VN loom.

How much extra KW and torque do those memcals bring on a 100% stock engine:
no extractors no other cam no bigger valves just 100% stock????

About 20 rwhp, but you can get similar gains by advancing the timing (alot). The only problem then is that you get a little bit too much timing in some areas. But you'll need to have the program on the memcal changed to a VN style one anyway. I wont charge you for it since you are a visitor/guest :)