Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vk Wiring

W

Wolsrap

Hello everyone, I have got a vk commodore and recently its headlights have been playing up, it has come to my attention that the wiring for the lights is all wrong, so at this moment I am driving around with just high beam , if anyone out there has a vk manual with the wiring diagram in, I would appreciate it muchly if they could send it to me or help me out in anyway..

Cheers,

Wolsrap
[email protected]

3800VK

Check the headlight connectors, turn the lights on low and give them a jiggle along with the wires, check the bulbs, check for blown fuses or shorts I recommend trying as much as possible before rewiring them unless you know what you are doing.

W

Wolsrap

Yeah I have tried everything, the lights need to be re-wired. The wires have come out of the connector, I think the person who had the car before me stuffed around with them. I just need to get hold of the wiring diagram for the lights. My uncle knows what he is doing, just asked me to get the diagram. I have tried to track it down everywhere, our library doesn't even have a copy... Do u have a copy of the vk manual?

Cheers,

Wolsrap

3800VK

If you have no luck I could send you the page if you want as my manual got soaked and is falling to pieces. I might be able to draw it up if you need.

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
wiring for the light's on a vk, ok, here we go, the light thingy (where you turn them on in the car)

if i knew how to use a drawing program i would draw it for ya

you got a cable from the battery going to the relay, and also to the inside cabin, where it's connected to the light thingy.

when you turn on the light's the relay should pull in the latching side of the contactor, closing the swtich side of the contactor and making the circuit. the headlight thingy pulls in the latching side of the relay, nothing more, check that's there first. if that aint there, busted headlight thingy, (what's the real name of it people) if it pulls in, you should hear a little click to say it's pulled in, then replace the relay, or in the worst case senario, and not being silly, check the bulb's if the car was purchased with a safety cert, it should have passed, up here in queensland, headlight's are a saftey issue (as im sure it is in the rest of the country

cheers
garth

W

Wolsrap

Yeah that would be good if you could send that. I have checked all the bulbs and that but I think the person who did it before me has got the wrong wires going into that connector (similar to image i have attached to msg) under the column. Yeah I am from Queensland too and I know I should have parkers, low beam & high beam. My Uncle said it would be easier for him to simply rewire this connector coming out of the column.

Much appreciated

Wolsrap

Garth

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
well, how did ya go, get that light problem sorted out? i hope so
if not, let me know, i found a wiring diagram for ya

cheers
garth

W

Wolsrap

Nah still no go, that would be excellent if you could send us the diagram. I really need to get these lights fixed up... Thanks heaps in advance, it's much appreciated..

Cheers,

Wolsrap

chuck

Reaction score
LOOK IN THE FUSE BOX IF ITS MELTED YOU NEED TO CUT THE WIRES THAT GO TO THE H\LIGHT FUSE CONNECTION AND PUT ANOTHER FUSE CONNECTION IN (i had to do it to mine) I USED AN INLINE FUSE SETUP ITS EASIER TO FIT UNDERNEATH.
H\LIGHT FUSES ARE A COMMON PROBLEM WITH VK-VLs,AND ITS NEARLY ALWAYS THE FUSE MELTING , IF YOU REWIRE THE FUSE IT SHOULD WORK PERFECTLY AGAIN!
if thats the problem let me know

Garth

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
so im sitting down at my old bosses work today, i grabed the book he has there, but there is one problem, i noticed, im gonna have all sort's of difficulty's in sending you a copy of the page you require, it's in a haynes auto repair book, nice and easy to follow, the problem is it's copywrite. i cant legaly send you this info over the net, my susgestion is you do a quick reqire, like this

run a hard pos up from your battery into your cabin, find where the pos is on the seletion switch, it's a mater of spending about $30.00 at a auto store and buying a circuit tester, simply connect the active up to that on the supply side of the seletor, (this will be shown when the light on the tester will be on) then run a single peice of cable, (colour is your choice) down to the relay, then from the relay to 1 of the headlight's, this will make both of them work, you need to put in a new fuse, probably around the 25, 30 amp mark, not hard to do, follow the insturcitons on the relay for how to connect that one up, if that dont work, go and get a new seletor switch, and revert back to the old wiring, and take it to a auto spark, it's hard to fix over the net without actually looking at it. sorry i cant help.

either that, or replace the relay in their now, just to make sure it's actualy working.