Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SSV with HSV binnacle gauges - backlight issue

Dre

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV, VZ Calais
Hi all, a couple of years ago I installed the tripe HSV binnacle guage pod in my ute (2008 VE SSV). The install went fine, all gauges work perfect.

The issue I've had since then is the backlight for the guages, it doesn't quite match the dash guages backlight.

Basically the binnacles backlights are allways on, even when the dash lights are off.

I've tried connecting the backlight cable from the binnacles to the yellow wire on the headlight switch, when I do, the backlights are allways on.

I've tried connecting it to pin 24 of the brown bcm plug but this means they only turn on when the ignition is on, if I turn the headlights on when the ignition is off, nothing happens.

So both ways to wire it up behave in a different way and neither match the main dash backlight.

Any ideas?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the hsv gauges illumination are controlled by the "can" data to the module so they should just work as long as it all wired up properly

Dre

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV, VZ Calais
the hsv gauges illumination are controlled by the "can" data to the module so they should just work as long as it all wired up properly

Yeah thats the thing, I'm not sure where to wire this illumition wire to properly..

I've tried a couple of places now but neither work but seem to work for others that have used the same guides as me.

Thanks for the info, i'll keep looking!

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
did u connect to that plug beside the radio on the passenger side..? (if u have it) i have my wiring here if u know that plug i can tell u what i connected to, does yours have the auto sensing lights..? because that is what controls the hsv gauge illumination so even if u turn off the dash lights it will keep the hsv lit up if its dark outside and ignition is on

Dre

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV, VZ Calais
did u connect to that plug beside the radio on the passenger side..? (if u have it) i have my wiring here if u know that plug i can tell u what i connected to, does yours have the auto sensing lights..? because that is what controls the hsv gauge illumination so even if u turn off the dash lights it will keep the hsv lit up if its dark outside and ignition is on

I connected the 6 pin plug up to the 6 connections around the steering column. There was a seperate wire on its own which I haven't connected anywhere, the guides I used didn't mention it. Are you saying that separate wire needs to be connected also?

Yes I have the auto sensing lights but even during a fully sunny day with the headlights off, the binnacles stay on...

Dre

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV, VZ Calais
I connected the 6 pin plug up to the 6 connections around the steering column. There was a seperate wire on its own which I haven't connected anywhere, the guides I used didn't mention it. Are you saying that separate wire needs to be connected also?

Yes I have the auto sensing lights but even during a fully sunny day with the headlights off, the binnacles stay on...

This is how I connected mine.. (picture stolen from carmodder, thats the guide i used)

Attachments

• HSV%203%20Gauge%20Pod%20Wiring%20Connector.jpg
    HSV%203%20Gauge%20Pod%20Wiring%20Connector.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 486

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
yea the pic above is how it should be connected, illumination should be white/yellow trace wire

popomoonz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
Mate sorry for the old thread revisit, but I have to ask, does the plug you are talking about here the same one the triple Atari gauges plug into on the late ssv. Also plugging the e1 hsv binnacle gauges here, does that eliminate the need for additional wiring harness to be bought and wired in. Once again sorry for the jump on this old thread

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
u will need the hsv gauges and the can module that should be with it then the loom that goes to that plug, it is a special loom with a component added to it might be capacitor i think so gauges power down when turned off otherwise they just stay in last position, not sure but u might also have to get the ecu output changed for the oil pressure and or oil temp as sometimes the ssv uses a calculation not the actual sensor, as for it working once plugged in im not 100% if anything alse needs doing as mine came with them

popomoonz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
u will need the hsv gauges and the can module that should be with it then the loom that goes to that plug, it is a special loom with a component added to it might be capacitor i think so gauges power down when turned off otherwise they just stay in last position, not sure but u might also have to get the ecu output changed for the oil pressure and or oil temp as sometimes the ssv uses a calculation not the actual sensor, as for it working once plugged in im not 100% if anything alse needs doing as mine came with them
Thanks mate. Yeah I have everything and it’s test fitted this afternoon. Unfortunately the lil plug is smaller than the one from the gauges. But I’m hopeful I can use wires from the original plug for power and what ever and add the extras accordingly. Like someone I seen somewhere say I also have the mrc system still attached which gave me a plug that I can use that fits the gauge plug and hopefully make a harness from. Fingers crossed