Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve commodore ticking on idle why

Bentley87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve 07 commodore
Hi everyone new here we just brought a 07 ve commodore very cheap so expecting problems ... when we got it the engine light was on we changed the oil and filter started the car and heard a clicking /ticking noise on idle only goes when you rev it oil and filter hadnt been changed in a long time .. drove the car and the engine light was gone drove it twice and the light has now reappeared ? .. and also this morning the abs light came on and some thing on the dash esp off ? I could be wrong .. drove it turned it off started again and the abs light is now off ... ive read afew threads from saying it could be as little as tyre pressure low low tread fuel cap lose to major problems ... and low battery for abs light ? True ... help a girl out haha

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
It’s impossible to diagnose a tick in the engine without being there and listening to it.
Did you follow the books and use the correct oil.
What pressure are your tyres at? But I can’t understand how tyre pressures can make an engine tick.
What year VE is it, and how many kilometres has it done? It could be timing chain?

Bentley87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve 07 commodore
It’s impossible to diagnose a tick in the engine without being there and listening to it.
Did you follow the books and use the correct oil.
What pressure are your tyres at? But I can’t understand how tyre pressures can make an engine tick.
What year VE is it, and how many kilometres has it done? It could be timing chain?
We only just brought it ... no books we changed the oil and filter the filter was practically mushy it had been on so long we put penrite 15w 40 in it its g9t 270000 ks on it we know no history tyres a shot so we need to replace them its a 07 ve we believe the timing chain has been done just by evidence under the hood.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
They are meant to use 5w 30 but perhaps get it to your local mechanic for a full check is my best advice to you.
The tick could just be anything????

Bentley87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve 07 commodore
Ok so 5 w 30 doesnt matter the ks? Ive ordered a scanner tool but might check with a mechanic as well thanks for the reply.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Purge solenoid will make a tick.
It’s on the passenger side of the intake manifold, toward the back. They can make a bit of noise when the get on a bit. You’ll need to pop off the engine cover to see it. Easy to fix in minutes for the experienced and maybe 30-40 if your not. Not expensive. Have a listen and see if it’s the noise.
https://www.alanmancestore.com.au/g...iva-cg-purge-solenoid-valve-v6-2006-2010.html

Injectors can tick as well. Some injector cleaner in the next full tank of fuel wouldn’t go astray regardless.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
We only just brought it ... no books we changed the oil and filter the filter was practically mushy it had been on so long we put penrite 15w 40 in it its g9t 270000 ks on it we know no history tyres a shot so we need to replace them its a 07 ve we believe the timing chain has been done just by evidence under the hood.

DONT USE 40 Anything. Could be your injectors making the noise. Tell me if its a V6 take the two cover off does it become noisier

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
This makes my eye twitch.
You shouldn't be using such a thick oil! The motor and pump are designed for thinner fully synthetic oils to be used. I understand the thinking in using it, thats what we used to do on motors back in the day. However this isn't an old push rod motor like back in the day.

I'd be dropping that oil, and getting a fully synthetic 5w-30 in. That is what that motor will be craving. A new oil filter too. (again). You should be doing that as a priority.