Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Twin Turbo VS Ecotec Build **engine build in progress page 16**

VYTTV6

Reaction score
Mt Isa Aussy, and/or Christchurch New Zealand
Members Ride
Manual VY Commodore S
Yeah mate i think i will actually, most likely closer to actual build time though! :) a bit premature right now still gotta a few bits an bobs to buy.. trying to leach info from experienced peeps as to what else i need for it to be safe.. lol.. a lot to consider to do it right, am a rookie and want as much info as i can get haha

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
L67 and L36 bottom end are same same.

Different pistons (1" wrist pin versus 3/4" i think)
Different heads and intake.

Everything else is same same.

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Project Car ? E85. Sidestep NOx testing.
Is there a way of changing boost pressure on turbos relative to RPM ? Do that. no more than 7PSI below about 3000RPM.

Ecotecs are very sensitive to intake charge temps. Minimise them at all costs. I use water meth injection, intercooling, long driveshaft turbos like in current F1 tech (!!), anything to keep heat from exhaust away, and everything to reduce heat input at compression.

I've hit the limit of HSV halfshafts at 17PSI. Expect to twist a few or find a tougher alternative. Good thing they are easy bolt ins.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
L67 and L36 bottom end are same same.

Different pistons (1" wrist pin versus 3/4" i think)
Different heads and intake.

Everything else is same same.
No they arnt. L67 have a slight length difference. It's longer con rod but shorter piston or vice versa. 2 thou in total length difference.

Wanarunright

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore vs wagon acclaim 94 model v6 3.8
hey im a bit of a noob at this just looking for advice on what turbo i should get im looking for something that will give good results at around 7 and maby if its possible 14psi i have the v6 3.8ltr ecotec im looking for a twin turbo setup if i can
i was wondering which of these 2 turbos would suit my needs best and feel free to recommend another turbo im looking more for a budget oriented build if possible but i would prefer reliability over being cheap i will be doing most of the the work myself

GT2871 GT2860 T25 T28 SR20 CA18DET Turbo Turbocharger FOR ALL 4 6 CYL 400HP MSR | eBay

KLS Power Spirit Internal Wastegate T3 T4 550HP Turbocharger Commodore T04E GT | eBay

heres is another one but its a little more than i would like to spent

TOG Ball Bearing T3 TS450 450HP Turbo GT3076 T04ER Skyline Silvia Soarer Patrol | eBay

and should i be looking on ebay or is there a betta place to look for turbos

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
Havent updated anything for a while, so i thought i'd share a story with you all...

Early this year i decided to change my Cometic head gaskets as they leaked from day one after building the motor. My fault as i didnt deck the block...

Anyway, i put Felpro's on it and had the worst of luck... I put it back together, drove it close to home a few times to test and it seemed fine. Took it for a big drive with the family and it got hot. Not overheated but hot. I checked the coolant and it was basically empty! No drips anywhere. Then i had the worst thought, so I pulled out the dipstick. There was the coolant... Nursed it home and pulled it down again.

The gaskets blew out both sides between cylinders and shot coolant out into the valley. I couldnt understand why! The only thing i could think of was the torque setting wasnt right.

I checked the torque wrench and it was still set to the right tension. Then i had a thought. What if the wrench is out of calibration? I borrowed this wrench off a mate because i lent my good one to somebody and it came back broken... I took the wrench to my mechanic mate who has one of those snap-on digital vibrating ones. We checked them on a wheel nut and my wrench was out by nearly half!!!!! Instead of torquing the ARP studs to 80ft-lbs they were only 40!!!

Anyway, bought another set of Felpro's from the states and tried again with the snap-on wrench. All is good lol. As a matter of fact, the car goes better than ever before as the cometics always leaked. I reckon its got another 10% atleast! AND the felpros are slightly thicker than the cometics were, bringing the compression ratio down. They must have leaked like sieves.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
ouch, not the first time ive heard the wrench story.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Hi mate. Long time no hear. Hope you've been well.