Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission line to radiator VX V6 leaking badly

ChocolateCharlie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Executive
Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me get out of this, what started as a simple radiator swap has turned into a leaking mess.

I changed the radiator and the bottom drivers side steel transmission hose is bleeding transmission fluid out when I start the engine. I didn't notice a washer when I removed the nut and was thinking that the flared end wouldn't take one. I got under the car and tightened the line up a bit more and it is and it is leaking badly. Can I use teflon tape on the thread? Any other advice? My wife needs the car real soon.

Cheers

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I recently bought and aluminium radiator and the nut on the transmission lines would be tight but the actual line was still loose, sort of flopping around. As a temporary fix I put an O ring in there. This temporary fix has held for about six months now because I cannot think of another solution, except maybe a rubber washer.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Is it leaking between the flare nut and the fitting? or is it leaking between the fitting and the radiator?

ChocolateCharlie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Executive
Is it leaking between the flare nut and the fitting? or is it leaking between the fitting and the radiator?
I'm not 100% sure, I was under the car tightening up the nut, looked like it was from the flare, and then watching from the front as the wife cranked it over and fluid was pouring out. Pretty sure when i had a closer look after she turned it off that it was coming from the flare nut, if not then the radiator is faulty, hey. I don't want to get my head under there when she cranks it though.

ChocolateCharlie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Executive
I recently bought and aluminium radiator and the nut on the transmission lines would be tight but the actual line was still loose, sort of flopping around. As a temporary fix I put an O ring in there. This temporary fix has held for about six months now because I cannot think of another solution, except maybe a rubber washer.

Did the O'ring that you used fit snugly in the nut that site on the line? This sounds like a good solution.

Just one thing which is probably worth a mention. I put one side of the bottom pipe on and the other side was a bit difficult to get on, as if the nuts on the radiator needed to be about 3 mm wider than they are, so I put one side on then the other (it was a bit of a stretch), and kept working them both in progressively. I read that flanges need to be at 90 degress to the nuts to be effective. I guess mine are not quite 90 degrees.

ChocolateCharlie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Executive
And thanks for posting guys, I'm in the crap right now, not to mention the big red stain on my driveway

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Did the O'ring that you used fit snugly in the nut that site on the line? This sounds like a good solution.
The O ring was a loose fit inside the nut, just use some grease to hold it in place in the centre on the fitting on the radiator. I think a heat resistant rubber washer would be less likely to fail but I haven't come across any that small yet.

ChocolateCharlie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Executive
The O ring was a loose fit inside the nut, just use some grease to hold it in place in the centre on the fitting on the radiator. I think a heat resistant rubber washer would be less likely to fail but I haven't come across any that small yet.

Great thanks accent, I'll give that a go tomorrow. Off to pick up a pack of rings nice and early. Buggered that such a minor detail caused such mischief.

Maybe somewhere like Reece might have a heat resistant washer

ChocolateCharlie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Executive
Has anyone used or does anyone know where to get trim washers? These should work

trim-washers1-jpg.217666

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
s-l400.jpg
What brand of Aluminium radiator?
The double end thread adapters (looks like the threaded part in the pic) that are supposed to connect the hard lines to the radiator may be the wrong thread.

Last edited: