Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission issues

natsroy

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 vt calias
Hi guys just after some advice about my Vy ecotec wagon, my trans seems to be shifting too much, if I am cruising on the highway in top gear it only takes the slightest pressure on the throttle and it instantly kicks down to third so with NZ roads not being particularly flat it is constantly changing.
My father own a 98 ecotec ute and it is far better behaved.
Any suggestions?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hi guys just after some advice about my Vy ecotec wagon, my trans seems to be shifting too much, if I am cruising on the highway in top gear it only takes the slightest pressure on the throttle and it instantly kicks down to third so with NZ roads not being particularly flat it is constantly changing.
My father own a 98 ecotec ute and it is far better behaved.
Any suggestions?
Tps?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Perhaps your father uses cruise control on the highway (like most of us) instead of manually controlling the speed? Alternatively, maybe his engine is in better condition than yours and produces greater torque, therefore the trans doesn't have to change down gears to maintain speed.

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
Shifts are calculated on speed, revs and throttle position.

Tps is most likely for sluggish or frantic shifting.

natsroy

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 vt calias
Perhaps your father uses cruise control on the highway (like most of us) instead of manually controlling the speed? Alternatively, maybe his engine is in better condition than yours and produces greater torque, therefore the trans doesn't have to change down gears to maintain speed.
Yea we both use cruise but mine always seems busier, the engine had crossed my mind thanks

natsroy

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 vt calias
Shifts are calculated on speed, revs and throttle position.

Tps is most likely for sluggish or frantic shifting.
Is there a way to check the TPS without paying someone to plug a computer into it?

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
Is there a way to check the TPS without paying someone to plug a computer into it?

Not that I know of other than they sometimes throw codes 19,20,21 but not always.

I've always had another car or tps handy and just done a quick swap and test drive.

They're pretty cheap too.

The service manual doesn't give any hints as to how to test. Just relies on error code.

My vt did it just before xmas with no codes thrown. Mine was sluggish and short shifting. Swapped with spare and difference was night and day.

Got any mates with same motor. Tis an easy swap to test as long as you don't lose the little plastic tab inside it.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
It's pretty easy to test with a multimeter. A tps is just a potentiometer. There's a couple of good vids on YouTube. That said you normally get a bunch of issues beyond touchy gear changes when they go bad, anything is possible though